Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2019, 15:34   #6166
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
1/ The reason Britbox will fail is one the streaming market is already too deeply concentrated with other streaming services.

2/ How many streaming services do you think people can afford? as there is only so much money that swirls around in people pockets and Britbox is a little pygmy in the land of giants.

3/ People are already paying for much of the content that will be on Britbox.

And there are several other reasons beside.
Like a lot of the content is available on the UKTV channels or platforms like Sky have deals with the BBC for Boxsets of its content.
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2019, 17:07   #6167
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Why would a company who does streaming and linear have to pay for rights twice?

I'm unsure if you are deliberately misrepresenting points or whether you are genuinely incapable of understanding them.
My understanding is that if a channel has the right to screen a programme on a tv channel, it has to pay more to screen it on demand.

Similarly, I guess that if you have the right to add a programme to a streaming service, you will need to pay more to show it on the TV channel. Is that not correct, then? I think it is.

There is no deliberate misrepresentation on my part, but glad to be corrected if I'm wrong.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
According to you its you who knows everything and nobody else knows nothing...
No, I'm just looking at the facts and drawing obvious conclusions.

You seem to look at every prediction for the future and assume nothing will change.

I accept that's what you think, Den. I just don't agree with you.

We are just having a conversation. I don't mind if you disagree, as long as it's not just to cause an argument.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Like a lot of the content is available on the UKTV channels or platforms like Sky have deals with the BBC for Boxsets of its content.
There is a lot of archive material that will be on Britbox that is not available anywhere else.

As far as the UKTV channels are concerned, I have heard that the BBC-owned ones might be closing soon, but it may just be a rumour. They will go eventually, though, of that I am certain.
Old 22-08-2019, 17:08   #6168
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My understanding is that if a channel has the right to screen a programme on a tv channel, it has to pay more to screen it on demand.

Similarly, I guess that if you have the right to add a programme to a streaming service, you will need to pay more to show it on the TV channel. Is that not correct, then? I think it is.

There is no deliberate misrepresentation on my part, but glad to be corrected if I'm wrong.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

No, I'm just looking at the facts and drawing obvious conclusions.

You seem to look at every prediction for the future and assume nothing will change.

I accept that's what you think, Den. I just don't agree with you.

We are just having a conversation. I don't mind if you disagree, as long as it's not just to cause an argument.
It's in theory possible to split the rights, but why would you? It would only reduce the value - why would Netflix buy streaming rights to a show airing on linear television?

Everyone would generally buys all the rights for exclusivity as it's a huge loophole to try to develop "must see" content folk can enjoy elsewhere.

There's no savings to be had here, only a risk that remaining linear channels buy content on the cheap and it undermines your model.
Old 23-08-2019, 13:33   #6169
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
As far as the UKTV channels are concerned, I have heard that the BBC-owned ones might be closing soon, but it may just be a rumour. They will go eventually, though, of that I am certain.
Drama+1 was seen testing on satellite recently. Which surprised me. But it was the only BBC owned one without a +1 so I suppose I can see the logic in the short term, especially given Discovery will I assume, if it hasn't already, be moving their exUKTV channels to their own satellite space soon, so UKTV would have free space.
Old 23-08-2019, 22:48   #6170
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Maybe that's because you keep knocking back all the evidence that he provides, and i do think that he does subscribe to some streaming services, isn't that what he said was the future?

What evidence - OB has selective memory when he recalls his previous posts/predictions

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Quote:
I guess we will soon see, eh, Den? I dare say there are plenty of people around who would get the Britbox streamer rather than one of the US streamers. I am often astounded by those people who have an aversion to US material, but there are plenty of them out there.

Having watched a few US sourced programs I'm not at all surprised there are a lot of people who are averse to it.
Old 24-08-2019, 00:39   #6171
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

Having watched a few US sourced programs I'm not at all surprised there are a lot of people who are averse to it.
Which is why Britbox may be rather more successful than some people think.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
What evidence - OB has selective memory when he recalls his previous posts/predictions[COLOR="Silver"]

Stop being so aggressive. I have not contradicted myself. If you disagree, highlight the post(s) you have in mind or justify your comment.

This is a discussion forum. Try to enter into the spirit instead of being an arse.

(Please).
Old 24-08-2019, 14:27   #6172
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

As per another forum member, the Amazon Prime video app will be closing on 26/9/19 on some Sony TV's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector;d-2349004
Recently learned this via a message on bedroom TV (KDL-26EX553). Researching the matter it seems that Sony TVs using the Android operating system are unaffected but those using Sony's own OS will soon lose it.
Users in the US, if they registered their TV with Sony, are perhaps surprisingly being sent a voucher for a significant discount on a Firestick but no sign of this for us - at least I haven't despite being registered with Sony.
Although a bit annoying, I'm not really moaning as TV is 7 years old, has a DVB-T2 tuner and works perfectly. As it already has a NowTV box attached I'll change that for a Roku express rather than adding a Firestick.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote:
...As far as the UKTV channels are concerned, I have heard that the BBC-owned ones might be closing soon, but it may just be a rumour. They will go eventually, though, of that I am certain.
I can't see that happening. These channels make money that is ploughed back into making new programmes. The BBC also appear to be expanding the UKTV channels that they ended up with as Drama +1 is again testing on satellite.
Old 24-08-2019, 14:50   #6173
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As per another forum member, the Amazon Prime video app will be closing on 26/9/19 on some Sony TV's:

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

I can't see that happening. These channels make money that is ploughed back into making new programmes. The BBC also appear to be expanding the UKTV channels that they ended up with as Drama +1 is again testing on satellite.
Yes, that is true, and I was just repeating a rumour. They may be safe in the short term.

However, they will be competing with Britbox, so I guess it could go either way.
Old 24-08-2019, 14:52   #6174
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Not a good sign for streaming taking over from linear TV if people are going to quickly have to replace their TVs or get add on boxes just to maintain service over time.
Old 24-08-2019, 14:59   #6175
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Not a good sign for streaming taking over from linear TV if people are going to quickly have to replace their TVs or get add on boxes just to maintain service over time.
That's the nature of technology, though, isn't it? Vinyl, tapes, CDs and now streaming.

That's why I'm so keen on Virgin Media being a super-aggregator of content. When the technology becomes obsolete, VM is responsible for replacing the hardware as their boxes are rented.
Old 24-08-2019, 15:05   #6176
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
That's the nature of technology, though, isn't it? Vinyl, tapes, CDs and now streaming.

That's why I'm so keen on Virgin Media being a super-aggregator of content. When the technology becomes obsolete, VM is responsible for replacing the hardware as their boxes are rented.
Well, it is the nature of technology, but not the nature of the consumer.

Televisions manufactured as late as 2013 are affected by this. The average consumer apparently buys a new television every seven years, which will leave a significant number of users with no intention of replacing the set having to explore other options.

It of course suits you to have Virgin, or someone else, manage this however not everyone wants a pay-tv subscription in order to do this. Some people just want to switch their TV on and go.
Old 24-08-2019, 15:17   #6177
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well, it is the nature of technology, but not the nature of the consumer.

Televisions manufactured as late as 2013 are affected by this. The average consumer apparently buys a new television every seven years, which will leave a significant number of users with no intention of replacing the set having to explore other options.

It of course suits you to have Virgin, or someone else, manage this however not everyone wants a pay-tv subscription in order to do this. Some people just want to switch their TV on and go.
It's easy enough to get a Roku or Amazon Fire stick.
Old 24-08-2019, 15:21   #6178
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
It's easy enough to get a Roku or Amazon Fire stick.
Easy enough for everyone to buy a freeview box, and digital switchover still took 15 years.

It's going to be a PR disaster if streaming is 'standard' yet arbitrarily starts telling everyone they need new hardware to continue viewing.
Old 24-08-2019, 16:58   #6179
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Easy enough for everyone to buy a freeview box, and digital switchover still took 15 years.

It's going to be a PR disaster if streaming is 'standard' yet arbitrarily starts telling everyone they need new hardware to continue viewing.
Well, it's going to happen. Watch and learn.
Old 24-08-2019, 17:12   #6180
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Well, it's going to happen. Watch and learn.
You've been saying this for some considerable time and all that seems to move is the date by which your hypothesised Utopia arises.
Closed Thread