Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PM's adviser on ministerial code resigns over his advice on Priti Patel being ignored

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

PM's adviser on ministerial code resigns over his advice on Priti Patel being ignored

Old 22-11-2020, 19:18   #106
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: PM's adviser on ministerial code resigns over his advice on Priti Patel being ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I didn’t say I had, I said I had used those words - i didn’t say in what way I had used them. Much like what the times article said.
The Times article said:
Quote:
She would tell officials their work was f***ing useless?”
So why on Earth is it relevant if you used the phrase in a different work context?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2020, 19:25   #107
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: PM's adviser on ministerial code resigns over his advice on Priti Patel being ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Worth noting that the majority of civil servants are female, 53.9%. This ranges from 45.2% female in some grades up to 57.2% in others. But doubtless the higher grades are the male-dominated ones. Based on this data, I wouldn't call it a male-dominated sector.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sion-dashboard
Well Male MPs still out do women by 2-1

And 60% of the most senior are male too.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...-civil-service

It’s not as bad as some sectors granted.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Absolute whataboutery.
Yet true.
Old 22-11-2020, 19:26   #108
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I can't dispute whether you swear at work, or whether it's acceptable in your workplace, that's correct.

I can however consider it completely irrelevant to the case at hand. You should write to that guy who resigned and see if it makes him think about it in a new light.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 19:31   #109
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The Times article said:

So why on Earth is it relevant if you used the phrase in a different work context?
Tell which officials and how?

I can tell you know that only recently on a zoom call when I was advised of a course action taken when trying to resolve a fault I definitely said “well that was bloody useless”. I didn’t swear on that occasion, it depends on the audience.
Old 22-11-2020, 19:33   #110
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Yet true.
Your accusation was that the Civil Servants were male, pale and stale. I'll concede to you that the Conservative Party are, and much of the Labour Party, but again that's nothing to support your completely unsubstantiated assertion that this Minister of questionable competence was treated differently on the basis of sex or gender.

Dare I suggest perhaps she was promoted beyond her capability to deflect from a male, pale and stale Cabinet?

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Quote:
Tell which officials and how?

I can tell you know that only recently on a zoom call when I was advised of a course action taken when trying to resolve a fault I definitely said “well that was bloody useless”. I didn’t swear on that occasion, it depends on the audience.
Why didn't you swear? Did you think it'd be considered unacceptable?
Old 22-11-2020, 19:54   #111
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
I can't dispute whether you swear at work, or whether it's acceptable in your workplace, that's correct.
Thank you, that’s very gracious.

Quote:
I can however consider it completely irrelevant to the case at hand. You should write to that guy who resigned and see if it makes him think about it in a new light.
I don’t know why Sir Phillip “resigned”, he looks like a big boy, with over 30 years of experience. He also looks like ( and this absolutely my own opinion of which I have no factual basis) someone who is to getting his own way and spat his dummy out when he didn’t.

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Quote:
Dare I suggest perhaps she was promoted beyond her capability
you could make that unsubstantiated assertion, you’re good at pointing them out.

Quote:
Why didn't you swear? Did you think it'd be considered unacceptable?
Nope.
Old 22-11-2020, 19:57   #112
jfman
Architect of Ideas

That's a selective quoting masterpiece there, Pierre. I doff my cap to you for avoiding all of the tricky bits.
Old 22-11-2020, 19:58   #113
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Inappropriate ? Quite possibly but "bullying" ? Nope.
You've been listening to too many snowflakes Hugh.

Not really.
As a Senior Manager, you are using the authority of your position and workplace when you use that sort of language - it’s called "punching down".

If someone uses their position and authority inappropriately (for example, by shouting at people and/or calling them f’ing useless), when the people being shouted at just have to take it and have no redress, I think it’s bullying - they’re picking on someone who can’t fight back.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 20:15   #114
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Why is the gender ratio of MPs important when she's been found guilty by the report of breaching ministerial code of bullying civil servants, which is not a male-dominated profession?
It would make sense if the breach concerned her bullying of MPs but it doesn't. So your reason for defending her ceases to exist.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 22-11-2020 at 20:20.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 20:49   #115
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Why is the gender ratio of MPs important when she's been found guilty by the report of breaching ministerial code of bullying civil servants, which is not a male-dominated profession?
It would make sense if the breach concerned her bullying of MPs but it doesn't. So your reason for defending her ceases to exist.
“Westminster” as a sector, includes civil servants and MPs and Lords.
Old 22-11-2020, 20:54   #116
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
“Westminster” as a sector, includes civil servants and MPs and Lords.
So your justification for her bullying Civil Servants is that the Conservative Party don’t have enough women/people of colour and there aren’t enough of them appointed to the Lords either?

That’s quite astonishing. Can I bully my staff tomorrow because the Chinese I had delivered earlier took over an hour? I know that’s nothing to do with them but that’s neither here nor there apparently as long as you are a Conservative minister of questionable competence.
Old 22-11-2020, 21:45   #117
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
So your justification for her bullying
I haven’t “justified” anything.
Old 22-11-2020, 21:46   #118
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I haven’t “justified” anything.
We can agree on that.
Old 22-11-2020, 22:26   #119
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So your justification for her bullying Civil Servants is that the Conservative Party don’t have enough women/people of colour and there aren’t enough of them appointed to the Lords eitherr?

That’s quite astonishing. Can I bully my staff tomorrow because the Chinese I had delivered earlier took over an hour? I know that’s nothing to do with them but that’s neither here nor there apparently as long as you are a Conservative minister of questionable competence.
How did you make that stretch, my friend?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 00:06   #120
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

So Boris gave Cummings a £40k pay rise ? Mind you, eye tests are expensive, so fair enough.
Quote:
Boris Johnson's former chief adviser Dominic Cummings received a pay rise of at least £40,000 before leaving 10 Downing Street, government documents have revealed.

In a newly-released annual report on government special advisers' pay, it is stated Mr Cummings was paid between £140,000 and £144,999 a year.
https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...er-10-12162658
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote