Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 22:19   #5251
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A quick look at Netflix debts suggests the operating model might not be working, or at least in future they might look at new revenue opportunities. Targeted advertising being obvious.

I actually don’t like watching ads, or working to a schedule, I don’t know what I’ve said that indicates that I do? Unlike you I’m not pushing my vision of the future relentlessly on an Internet forum with sources that are dubious online marketing companies.

I’m dealing in reality based in economics, not on supposition or speculation. People watch linear television, people pay for linear television and it’s cheap for the incumbents to maintain alongside streaming (Sky Go, Virgin TV Go, Now TV, Xbox/PS4 apps).

The BBC haven’t said there wont be linear channels - you keep portraying a speculative possibility as fact with no basis whatsoever. Of course, the BBC would rationally portray the worst option to get authority to extend its land grab into streaming. That’s not unexpected.
Netflix is heavily in debt while it continues to grow its content as rapidly as possible.

In the meantime...

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...ancel-doubles/
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2019, 16:42   #5252
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Now TV 1080p streaming coming this year, Full HD video trials underway

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...vice-launching
Old 10-05-2019, 21:21   #5253
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

While this is good news, one wonders how long before they start considering UHD.

When everyone has progressed to holographic TV, I guess.
Old 10-05-2019, 21:50   #5254
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
While this is good news, one wonders how long before they start considering UHD.

When everyone has progressed to holographic TV, I guess.
Now TV Is a completely different beast to Netflix who are solely a streamer , UHD on Now TV won't happen until Now TV represents the majority of Sky's business.

It makes no sense to cannibalise your high paying platform.
Old 11-05-2019, 00:48   #5255
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Netflix is heavily in debt while it continues to grow its content as rapidly as possible.

In the meantime...

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...ancel-doubles/
I’m heavily in debt to my mortgage provider. If I can’t pay the bills my hopes and aspirations won’t keep a roof over my head.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:49   #5256
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I’m heavily in debt to my mortgage provider. If I can’t pay the bills my hopes and aspirations won’t keep a roof over my head.
Except that Netflix is paying its bills. Most new companies start off with debts and some of the big ones will be in considerable debt for a great many years. It's what is called investment.

In time, the number of Netflix subscriptions will have increased considerably as its reach extends into new markets, increasing its income, and once their library has built up sufficiently, they will reduce the amount of content they are currently adding down to more sustainable levels.

If that turns out to be insufficient to balance the books and make a profit due to increasing competition, then a free or reduced price alternative with commercials would be a further means of increasing income. At the same time, they could decide to increase the price of the 'no ads' subscription service.
Old 11-05-2019, 13:48   #5257
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Except that Netflix is paying its bills. Most new companies start off with debts and some of the big ones will be in considerable debt for a great many years. It's what is called investment.

In time, the number of Netflix subscriptions will have increased considerably as its reach extends into new markets, increasing its income, and once their library has built up sufficiently, they will reduce the amount of content they are currently adding down to more sustainable levels.

If that turns out to be insufficient to balance the books and make a profit due to increasing competition, then a free or reduced price alternative with commercials would be a further means of increasing income. At the same time, they could decide to increase the price of the 'no ads' subscription service.
Most companies do not start off with debt levels at between 2 and 3 years of subscription revenue. Especially if they don't have tangible assets to secure the debt against.

Price rises are inevitable once they've consolidated market share, we are agreed on that.
Old 11-05-2019, 16:33   #5258
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Most companies do not start off with debt levels at between 2 and 3 years of subscription revenue. Especially if they don't have tangible assets to secure the debt against.

Price rises are inevitable once they've consolidated market share, we are agreed on that.
Oh I completely agree , I've said for a long while it won't take long before you are paying as much as the entry level packages from the likes of Sky , Virgin and BT.

Another thing worth mentioning what happens if they struggle with attracting new subscriber numbers or worst case scenario see a decline ? People will then end up having to pay even more or they'll have to look at advertising to help them out.
Old 11-05-2019, 17:25   #5259
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Oh I completely agree , I've said for a long while it won't take long before you are paying as much as the entry level packages from the likes of Sky , Virgin and BT.

Another thing worth mentioning what happens if they struggle with attracting new subscriber numbers or worst case scenario see a decline ? People will then end up having to pay even more or they'll have to look at advertising to help them out.
Keep it up MM as your pearls of reality very quickly dissipate the fantasies of those who can't see the wood from the trees.
Old 11-05-2019, 20:06   #5260
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Quote:

How about giving us more than just stereo like ITV
Old 11-05-2019, 20:36   #5261
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
How about giving us more than just stereo like ITV
Completely agree
Old 11-05-2019, 20:39   #5262
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Thanks for info.

As Comcast are extending Now Tv into other countries, this may morph into Comcast's global streaming service, although Comcast did say that would carry the NBC/Universal branding originally, although they seemed to have rolled back on that recently and I still expect the global streamer to be called Sky.

Last edited by Horizon; 11-05-2019 at 21:19.
Old 11-05-2019, 21:17   #5263
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Even if what you say is correct, which I doubt, frankly, a streaming service such as Netflix charging those entry level fees will still be much better value.

How you can imagine subscriptions to Netflix declining when they are attracting more and more subscribers to the areas currently served and are expanding to become a world service, I cannot fathom. And as others have speculated, a free (or reduced subscription level) service with ads will attract even more money to SVOD.

I don't understand why you should want these new services with so much more content to fail. They have transformed the viewing experience for me and no doubt a great many others..

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Keep it up MM as your pearls of reality very quickly dissipate the fantasies of those who can't see the wood from the trees.
Clearly, Den, you want SVOD to fail. I don't know why this is the case - I understand you subscribe to Netflix yourself.

No doubt, you would not do so if you thought it to be poor value for money.
Old 11-05-2019, 21:37   #5264
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Clearly, Den, you want SVOD to fail. I don't know why this is the case - I understand you subscribe to Netflix yourself.

Like a politician you come out with complete and utter gibberish OB as the trouble with you is you struggle to cope with other members who's views differ from yours.

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:

At the moment it represents good value as a add on to our overall family viewing.
Old 11-05-2019, 21:37   #5265
jfman
Architect of Ideas

It's actually easy to imagine Netflix declining. You yourself are the biggest advocate of a streaming future with a large number of providers. It is simply not realistic, in any market, to expect that a large number of new entrants will not have a negative effect on incumbents. Consumers don't have infinite cash so will make choices as to which provides best value. You also point out how flexible the price plans are, making them disposable quite easily.

Netflix doesn't own much of the content on it's platform so the long term risk is that the new entrants happen to be the content owners themselves weakening the position of Netflix significantly.
Closed Thread