Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-07-2004, 11:32   #376
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda
doesn't work for me.
Try unchecking the proxy server box in Connections > LAN Settings
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2004, 11:38   #377
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Easiest way is to type this into your run box in the start menu
http://192.168.100.1
hit enter
then its
root
for the user name and password.
Old 31-07-2004, 12:00   #378
ppolo99
cf.member

Services: 10mbit ntl:
ppolo99 is an unknown quantity at this point

it only depends what modem u have, if u got the ntlhome 120 i know it works for that
Old 31-07-2004, 13:00   #379
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
So there isnt a big button labled "Kill them" then?
What the techies or the modems? I sometimes wonder if there's one for 'Dump Work On Techies Until They Die Of Stress' on the wall in Hook. Hell, I enjoy it though.

I know when mines being upgraded last one

[checks]

Nope.
Old 31-07-2004, 13:17   #380
peacedude2k4

Exclamation Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

time

how u know yours is last one?

Ambit USb cable modems are gonna cope with the 1.5bm update aint they

Old 31-07-2004, 13:58   #381
td444
Inactive

td444 is on a distinguished roadtd444 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedude2k4
time

Ambit USb cable modems are gonna cope with the 1.5bm update aint they
Id imagine so, hundreds of thousands in circulation!
Old 31-07-2004, 14:08   #382
BBKing
R.I.P.

BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I was quoting th'eng, who (in jest) suggested his area would be last. I merely pointed out that it wasn't.
Old 31-07-2004, 14:13   #383
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
What the techies or the modems? I sometimes wonder if there's one for 'Dump Work On Techies Until They Die Of Stress' on the wall in Hook. Hell, I enjoy it though.

I know when mines being upgraded last one

[checks]

Nope.
The modems, although that last option sounds good, but you forgot the end " Once they have died of stress, sack them for not meeting targets" :p
Old 31-07-2004, 14:16   #384
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, but when you're rebooting lots of devices at the same time and there's even a 0.001% chance that some don't come back (due to approaching failure triggered by a reboot) then you'll get a spike in the graph of people phoning in. Timing this for when you don't have people ready to take it would be stupid, and, despite popular belief, we're not that stupid.

ianathuth - some of us like our weekends. We have 24/7 manned monitoring centres with guys on shift, but us back-end techies don't work shifts - the number of times per year this would actually be useful is outweighed by the number of times a year it's useful for us to be in the office 9-5 as that's when meetings happen and things get planned. No point calling a conference call for 2am.
The point that I was making was that doing upgrades over the weekend and having extra staff in at that time would have made more customers happy by giving them their upgrades sooner. It would also spread the workload for customer services / technical support over a longer period rather than concentrate it in the evening period of the day that the upgrade was done.

I appreciate that many people like their wekends off but a one off situation where they forego the weekend off for the sake of the business is not too much to ask. It isn't as if major speed upgrades will be happening on a regular basis, is it?

It has always puzzled me how a large company offering all its products 24/7/365 doesn't support them 24/7/365. You should never have to call NTL and get a recorded message saying that the offices are closed and asking you to call back the next day or after the weekend.

I appreciate all the work that has gone into giving these free speed updates and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter if it's done today or next week. What does bug me is that NTL are more interested in the balance sheet than in providing a full 24/7 customer care service to support 24/7 products. Customers are the life blood of every business and they deserve to be looked after. It makes me sick to see some of the well known, very helpful NTL associates that contribute to this site being given the redundancy push. Any senior NTL officer worth his / her salt would be keeping an eye on these forums and would make damn sure they retained the services of all the associates helping on here.
Old 31-07-2004, 14:23   #385
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I was quoting th'eng, who (in jest) suggested his area would be last. I merely pointed out that it wasn't.

Have you arranged for HIM to be the last one in the queue?
Old 31-07-2004, 14:28   #386
Stop It
Inactive

Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
The point that I was making was that doing upgrades over the weekend and having extra staff in at that time would have made more customers happy by giving them their upgrades sooner. It would also spread the workload for customer services / technical support over a longer period rather than concentrate it in the evening period of the day that the upgrade was done.
It would make even more sense to phase the upgrade, so the tech support can better cope, if anything unexpected happens, like UBR failiures, server failiures, or worse, they would be better prepared to sort it if they only had a small part of the network to sort, rather than all of it

Quote:
I appreciate that many people like their wekends off but a one off situation where they forego the weekend off for the sake of the business is not too much to ask. It isn't as if major speed upgrades will be happening on a regular basis, is it?
YOU tell the stressed out, worn out workers that, and see the response, weekends are manned at ntl, just not as much, you cant expect people to forgo their weekends, to be fair they are humans too, honest :p

Quote:
It has always puzzled me how a large company offering all its products 24/7/365 doesn't support them 24/7/365. You should never have to call NTL and get a recorded message saying that the offices are closed and asking you to call back the next day or after the weekend.
Simple reason, cost, NTL arent rich, (terminally in debt actually) and it would be far too costly, waiting a few hours overnight to be helped isnt that bad, and where an engineer is needed, you would still have to wait until they can be booked.

Quote:
I appreciate all the work that has gone into giving these free speed updates and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter if it's done today or next week. What does bug me is that NTL are more interested in the balance sheet than in providing a full 24/7 customer care service to support 24/7 products. Customers are the life blood of every business and they deserve to be looked after. It makes me sick to see some of the well known, very helpful NTL associates that contribute to this site being given the redundancy push. Any senior NTL officer worth his / her salt would be keeping an eye on these forums and would make damn sure they retained the services of all the associates helping on here.
NTL are a commercial enterprise, they are existant to MAKE MONEY, customer services, is very important, within reason, but NTL's fiirst concern is to be profitiable, and then to provide decent service, you can agree or disagree with NTL's mothods, but to say they should put customer service over profit, is naive unfortunatly.

About the redundancies, its not that simple, NTL are performing a relocation / downsizing by the looks of things (Mainly to coventry?) to save costs etc, redundancies are never good, but its not clever to speculate on the validity of them.
Old 31-07-2004, 15:06   #387
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It
It would make even more sense to phase the upgrade, so the tech support can better cope, if anything unexpected happens, like UBR failiures, server failiures, or worse, they would be better prepared to sort it if they only had a small part of the network to sort, rather than all of it
Going on what BBKing said it would appear that most of the upgrades would not encounter any problems. Are you anticipating major problems and what part of upgrading speeds would generate those problems?

Quote:
YOU tell the stressed out, worn out workers that, and see the response, weekends are manned at ntl, just not as much, you cant expect people to forgo their weekends, to be fair they are humans too, honest :p
If NTL staff are in that bad a state then I would advise them to think about a career change and a major clear out of management that have allowed that state to exist.

Quote:
Simple reason, cost, NTL arent rich, (terminally in debt actually) and it would be far too costly, waiting a few hours overnight to be helped isnt that bad, and where an engineer is needed, you would still have to wait until they can be booked.
NTL as a company may be short of a copper or two but I bet the top management and directors aren't. Waiting a few hours overnight may not be a problem to some people but others may not be at home when CS / TS open. It's a poor excuse to say wait till tomorrow or after the weekend. What would you think if you broke down in your car, phoned the AA or whoever and got a recorded message saying "sorry we're closed, call back tomorrow or on Monday if it's the weekend". What would the cost be of having 24/7 cover, what savings would be made from the present system to help towrds this cost and what gain would there be in customer confidence?

Quote:
NTL are a commercial enterprise, they are existant to MAKE MONEY, customer services, is very important, within reason, but NTL's fiirst concern is to be profitiable, and then to provide decent service, you can agree or disagree with NTL's mothods, but to say they should put customer service over profit, is naive unfortunatly.
Of course all businesses are there to make money, but to do so they have to have the right product at the right price and with the best customer service. P1ss off all your customers with that attitude and when they have all decided enough is enough ask the accountants what the balance sheet looks like.

Quote:
About the redundancies, its not that simple, NTL are performing a relocation / downsizing by the looks of things (Mainly to coventry?) to save costs etc, redundancies are never good, but its not clever to speculate on the validity of them.
I am not suggesting that redundancies are not needed, I don't know enough to offer a view on that. What I am saying is that NTL do not listen to the feedback that sites such as this and its predecessers give and do not recognise the talent that they are pushing out of the door. There are some excellent associates who help on here and could be retained but it may be that NTL want to retain the staff on lower salaries that get customers off the phone quicke,r whether they have solved the customers problem or not being immaterial.
Old 31-07-2004, 15:29   #388
Stop It
Inactive

Quote:
Going on what BBKing said it would appear that most of the upgrades would not encounter any problems. Are you anticipating major problems and what part of upgrading speeds would generate those problems?
Expect the unexpected, like when NTL done some upgrades in leicester, it caused a seperate failiure, most of the upgrades are quite simple, but even BBking mentioned a small risk of failiure, that risk will be smaller if its done gradually, rather than one big bang

Quote:
If NTL staff are in that bad a state then I would advise them to think about a career change and a major clear out of management that have allowed that state to exist.
That was a genral statement about working on a week shift, ie, TGIF etc, people enjoy their weekends (and need them to stay sane) I was in no way suggesting that NTL is worse or better in that sense , as I dont know :P

Quote:
NTL as a company may be short of a copper or two but I bet the top management and directors aren't. Waiting a few hours overnight may not be a problem to some people but others may not be at home when CS / TS open. It's a poor excuse to say wait till tomorrow or after the weekend. What would you think if you broke down in your car, phoned the AA or whoever and got a recorded message saying "sorry we're closed, call back tomorrow or on Monday if it's the weekend". What would the cost be of having 24/7 cover, what savings would be made from the present system to help towrds this cost and what gain would there be in customer confidence?
Of course the top cats arent poor, lets not get into directors salaries etc.
unfortunatly a gain in "customer confidence" wouldnt pay the huge expenditure that comes with out of hours service, its a balnced between money and service, and tbh NTL's isnt the worst, nor the best out there in telecom land.

Quote:
Of course all businesses are there to make money, but to do so they have to have the right product at the right price and with the best customer service. P1ss off all your customers with that attitude and when they have all decided enough is enough ask the accountants what the balance sheet looks like.
Yes, but to get decent customer service, you have to pay for it, NTL cannot afford a luxury 24 hour service, unless if it changed extortionate amounts for it, as I said, tis a balance between service and profitability, you can have the best service in the world, but if you arent making the money, through satisfied customers or not, you are not going to survive, and that is NTL's sole target, survivial, and proving to telewest that it is a viable business.
Old 31-07-2004, 15:53   #389
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

I find the prolonged drifting of this thread, and the various conjecture and speculation generated variously within, quite remarkable.

The Official announcement from ntl has been given as 'later in the summer'.

Clearly this is being rolled out as and when they are happy with progress in a given area/service tier, so any further second guessing of a specific date (regardless of how inspired the source of this appears to be) seems to me rather irrelevant

Coming soon? YES!
Old 31-07-2004, 16:08   #390
BBKing
R.I.P.

Quote:
Have you arranged for HIM to be the last one in the queue?
Ooo it's tempting. January 2009 it is then :P

I'll read through the reams of posts when I've got time (having beers with mates in a minute so getting ready) but the point about timing maintenance is:

1) maintenance is the biggest cause of outages (when you change something there's always a risk)
2) maintenance is best timed when people aren't using the service
3) people use the service a lot at the weekend, not a lot on weekday mornings in the small hours

Hence we do things weekday mornings in the small hours.
Closed Thread