Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 05-12-2003, 01:10   #76
gt94sss2
cf.member

gt94sss2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
I've taken the plunge, I rang BT today, they are coming to install the new (I say new but it's not ) line on the 10th, I can't get over how easy it all was. No hassle, no messing around, and so friendly. Cant think why we didn't switch ages ago, oh yer, that bloody 12 month contract
Have sent you a PM re: Bulldog but..

FYI.. you can cancel a BT contract early if you pay a small cancellation charge (max £18) - depending on how long you have left to run on the BT contract

Details 3/4 of the page down on http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/00023.htm under Cancellation Charge

If anyone else wants to join Bulldog would they mind quoting my referral code when joining?

Its bdol 87431 - just quote while ordering and send me a message so I can thank you!

I'm afraid you don't get anything but with luck I might
gt94sss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2003, 02:49   #77
gt94sss2
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
The minimum period for cancelling is 3 months without any charge, when you recieve a letter from BT confirming the change over if you look on the second page under List of your requirements it should say Minimum Period 3 months.. you can confirm this by giving them a call on 0800 521125.
The minimum contract is 3 months if you are reconnecting an existing line.

In Dellwear's case he is technically connecting a "new line" (as BT have never served a customer there before) and on those contracts the minimum term is 12 months but you can cancel early per the url I posted

Quote:
some added info...
If you want to pay monthly like you used to pay your NTL phone rental you can do so you must tell BT you wish to pay monthly instead of quarterly your first payment is quarterly then there after it will be monthly.
Also if you pay by direct debit the monthly rental is slightly cheaper (£1 or so)

Finally depending on how much you plan to use your BT line ask for details of their standard/basic tariff - its cheaper than their Together ones if you don't use the phone much + comes with a call allowance (they no longer advertise it though - I wonder why (joke!))
Old 05-12-2003, 03:10   #78
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt94sss2
Finally depending on how much you plan to use your BT line ask for details of their standard/basic tariff - its cheaper than their Together ones if you don't use the phone much + comes with a call allowance (they no longer advertise it though - I wonder why (joke!))
Im on the BT standard line option £9:50 a month inc vat, i asked about the low caller line option BT have (if you make under a certain amount of calls a month BT have a lower caller line rental option) which is even cheaper line rental than the BT standard, as i told them i dont make many calls during the month as its cheaper using my mobile, unfortunatly the lower caller line option is classed as a life line and BT class using ADSL on the line as call usage so the only low cost rental option for ADSL usage is the BT standard line option at £9:50 a month if paid by direct debit but anyone that pays the BT standard line rental gets £1:20 worth of free calls a month so really your paying £8:30 a month rental (provided you pay by direct debit)
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 03:18   #79
gt94sss2
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
Im on the BT standard line option £9:50 a month inc vat, i asked about the low caller line option BT have which is even cheaper line rental, as i told them i dont make many calls during the month as its cheaper using my mobile, unfortunatly the lower caller line option is classed as a life line and BT class using ADSL on the line as call usage so the only low cost rental option for ADSL usage is the BT standard line option at £9:50 a month if paid by direct debit but anyone that pays the BT standard line rental gets £1:20 worth of free calls a month so really your paying £8:30 a month rental (provided you pay by direct debit)
BT Standard line rental: £10.50
£1 discount if paying by direct debit - £9.50/month
It includes a £2.15 call allowance (not £1.20)

min effective line rental = 7.35/month

All prices inc VAT etc (lol - I should work for BT - sad knowing all this off the top of my head!)

Sadly you cant get the Low user tariff with adsl as you say.. you are not supposed to have it if you have a mobile or a line from someone else (NTL etc) (though they can't check afaik)

Also you cant use those cheap dial 1xxxx international call companies with that tariff either as BT bar them

the tariff is supposed to be for the "true" low users etc
Old 05-12-2003, 09:49   #80
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BT Standard line rental: £10.50
£1 discount if paying by direct debit - £9.50/month
It includes a £2.15 call allowance (not £1.20)

min effective line rental = 7.35/month

All prices inc VAT etc (lol - I should work for BT - sad knowing all this off the top of my head!)

Sadly you cant get the Low user tariff with adsl as you say.. you are not supposed to have it if you have a mobile or a line from someone else (NTL etc) (though they can't check afaik)

Also you cant use those cheap dial 1xxxx international call companies with that tariff either as BT bar them

the tariff is supposed to be for the "true" low users etc
You have earned your commission this morning
Old 05-12-2003, 11:29   #81
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

I'd read the latest problems within the adslguide bulldog forum before ordering... i.e. only order with your eyes open!
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 13:38   #82
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
just got to wait until tomorrow and call to cancel my Ntl accounts
It doesn't need to be stressful

Just write to the address on the bill, send it recorded delivery, and sit back - happy in the knowledge that you don't have to pay a penny to them after the 30 day notice period. If they lose it - tough - then see them in court.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:16   #83
Mantrid
Inactive

Mantrid is an unknown quantity at this point

Got BT on the case yesterday to change over my NTL line to BT. 18th December is the earliest time.

Tempted by Bulldog ADSL unless anyone recommends otherwise.
Mantrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:18   #84
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

I can recommend Nildram, Zen and Pipex. They're all well up at the top on ADSLGuide.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:46   #85
DrAwesome
Inactive

Dearest - cheapest
You have to way up whats on offer from the adsl providers and depending on how much cash you wanna spend some waver the adsl connection fee some offer adsl modems some give you sweet nothing, also how much is the adsl hardware going to cost you and where is the cheapest place to buy it from (baring in mind not everyone can afford a massive cash outlay especially at this time of year) so whats your choice of adsl hardware do you buy adsl wireless = dearest or choose to stick to ethernet = cheapest or do you avoid usb adsl modems?

(the only stress you might suffer from is going through this thread looking for the information you need)

Its a lot of choice but no real stress because hopefully someone reading this thread can help you make the decission easily.
Old 05-12-2003, 15:48   #86
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

I recommend freeserve because of their 30 day trial offer - if it is a pile of poo you can send it back and get a refund.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:32   #87
DrAwesome
Inactive

I remember phoning Bulldog to enquire about their Alltime 2000 service £44.64 a month inc vat, i was told that i couldnt have the service but i could have the Biztime 2000 £68.14 a month inc vat difference being (apart from the monthly price) the Alltime 2000 is only available to 450 BT exchanges and the Biztime 2000 is available Nationally... so this means that if i wanted to signup for Bulldogs PrimeTime 2000 Special Offer - £29.99 (inc VAT) which was another consideration (from 6pm till 8am everyday, all day in the weekends and bank holidays 2meg and all other times 512k) i cannot because that service is only available across 450 BT exchanges. Primetime 1000 is a no go as well eventhough Alltime 1000 is available to me if i choose to want it..
Old 06-12-2003, 12:48   #88
gt94sss2
cf.member

Yes, it can be confusing!

Some services are only available at certain (450/500) exchanges -due to the way Bulldog provide the backhaul - while others use the "normal" BT method.

If you want a service and Bulldog don't yet offer it in your area, pre register for it at https://secure.bulldogdsl.com/shop/pre-register.asp (no commitment) as they use that to partly decide where to expand their own network (the other backhaul method etc) too
Old 06-12-2003, 13:13   #89
DrAwesome
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, it can be confusing!

Some services are only available at certain (450/500) exchanges -due to the way Bulldog provide the backhaul - while others use the "normal" BT method.

If you want a service and Bulldog don't yet offer it in your area, pre register for it at https://secure.bulldogdsl.com/shop/pre-register.asp (no commitment) as they use that to partly decide where to expand their own network (the other backhaul method etc) too
The confussing part for me was if Bulldog can offer a connection speed for Business (national exchanges) surely they can off you the same connection on home/residential service. it must be they can milk more money from this service from business than offering it to residential customers.

I wonder if you will get anything if everyone who accesses the link and filled in the required information and quoted your referal code in the section Where did you hear about Bulldog? part
Old 06-12-2003, 13:19   #90
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser
I can recommend Nildram, Zen and Pipex. They're all well up at the top on ADSLGuide.
Do Nildram still cap their connections?
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote