Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Promote your own website

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

[Merged] Promote your own website

Old 14-08-2007, 00:27   #781
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] Promote your own website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well, Thats what I mean. Does AJAX actually contain anything new or is it simply a new name for a certain combination of existing tech?
I've not used PHP before and I'm just looking into Ajax so I'm not fully sure if it contains anything that you may not have seen.

Have a look here and see if there is.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2007, 00:33   #782
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Ajax is a new name for something that has existed in Javascript for quite a while, the meaning is that it can get data from the server/call scripts/etc separately from a page refresh
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 18:37   #783
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Just done a mock-up of my works new website that I have spent this afternoon on.

http://www.trial.mlweb.co.uk/purple/image2.html

Any comments welcome, this is the 1st mock-up so I'm still not happy with several areas, the image to the right of the news for 1.

Quite pleased with it, wanted to do a nice bright web 2.0 style.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 15:23   #784
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Had a re-jig of my site.

I've got rid of the crappy old index pages, made the blog the root, & replaced the rather poorly made photo gallery with the excellent Coppermine Photo Gallery.

Have also installed the same theme (K2) on Wordpress & CPG, so it all fits together.

Still some niggles to sort out, though.

www.smokingmirror.co.uk

www.smokingmirror.co.uk/photos/
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 15:45   #785
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Just done a mock-up of my works new website that I have spent this afternoon on.

Any comments welcome, this is the 1st mock-up so I'm still not happy with several areas, the image to the right of the news for 1.

I like the nice bright look - but agree about the image next to the news - the link placeholders overlapping into it looks a bit messy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Had a re-jig of my site.

I've got rid of the crappy old index pages, made the blog the root, & replaced the rather poorly made photo gallery with the excellent Coppermine Photo Gallery.

Have also installed the same theme (K2) on Wordpress & CPG, so it all fits together.

Still some niggles to sort out, though.

www.smokingmirror.co.uk

www.smokingmirror.co.uk/photos/
Looking good Tez
Old 19-08-2007, 22:50   #786
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

Quote:

why not make your text links, instead of saying more all the time?

the image of the news is fine, but I would try to make the site a wee bit smaller, I have a 17" monitor and it does not all fit nicely

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 19:50   #787
iwanttomoan
Inactive

iwanttomoan is an unknown quantity at this point

My forums, working for few months, please do check them out
http://www.iwanttomoan.co.uk
iwanttomoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 16:48   #788
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:

I like the bright style, as a non-coder I found it quite easy to read and inviting. A couple of niggles. One that has been mentioned before - on a 17" screen at 1024x768 the page is fractionally too wide which gives you a scroll bar at the bottom. Those things *really* bug me.
Also it looks a bit untidy in Firefox, the green 'more' things overlap onto the news picture for random distances. I'd agree that making the actual text into links would be far neater.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 17:30   #789
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

My new site is http://www.britishclubdivers.co.uk

It's a bit bare at the moment but I hope people will use it to make new friends for diving as you should always dive with a buddy.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 18:08   #790
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

http://unspecific.net

P.S - Not entirely finished, contact me for more info!
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 17:31   #791
VR6Gaz
Inactive

VR6Gaz is an unknown quantity at this point

mines a fishing website/forum just starting out

www.talkaboutfishing.co.uk

Im moderator "VR6Gaz"
VR6Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 00:30   #792
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Highly tuned, Highly Modified Japanese Imports!

Specially tuned by Trial Experts.
Old 26-10-2007, 00:57   #793
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
I like the bright style, as a non-coder I found it quite easy to read and inviting. A couple of niggles. One that has been mentioned before - on a 17" screen at 1024x768 the page is fractionally too wide which gives you a scroll bar at the bottom. Those things *really* bug me.
Also it looks a bit untidy in Firefox, the green 'more' things overlap onto the news picture for random distances. I'd agree that making the actual text into links would be far neater.
This is how it all worked out in the end....

www.purplegriffon.com
Old 26-10-2007, 01:24   #794
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

It's cool, though I have a 19" Widescreen running at 1440x900 so it looks a bit odd with the far right third of the screen completely blank, also the course listings etc looks a bit too busy on the main page? Just an opinion that last one though!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 01:30   #795
handyman
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
It's cool, though I have a 19" Widescreen running at 1440x900 so it looks a bit odd with the far right third of the screen completely blank, also the course listings etc looks a bit too busy on the main page? Just an opinion that last one though!
I don't care what you think Google loves it. Reckon it's on for doubling traffic in the organic searches alone. Msn and Yahoo love it as well we have gone from 13-20 on Google to 1-3 on most searchs and on msn and yahoo Its number one on loads. Really chuffed about it.

Anyone know why Google gives out positions in 2's sometimes ie 1+2, 3+4?

I think i'd rather have 3-4 than 1 by itself. Draws your eyes to it and make sit more important. (Example of 1-2)