Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 22:06   #751
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Yes thanks, as it confirms that John Malone has the ability to win any vote as to whether Discovery should make Quest HD available on his wholly owned Virgin Media platform.

I think that he'll want to do this as it would help to make his own platform more attractive to potential customers, especially as Quest have now won the rights to the English Football League.

I've seen some people say that the Freeview SD version of Quest leaves a lot to be desired and it's not available at all to some Freeview customers.

I haven't heard any more about Quest HD since Discovery said that they were "working on it".

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 07-05-2018 at 22:25.
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2018, 02:08   #752
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Yes thanks, as it confirms that John Malone has the ability to win any vote as to whether Discovery should make Quest HD available on his wholly owned Virgin Media platform.

I think that he'll want to do this as it would help to make his own platform more attractive to potential customers, especially as Quest have now won the rights to the English Football League.

I've seen some people say that the Freeview SD version of Quest leaves a lot to be desired and it's not available at all to some Freeview customers.

I haven't heard any more about Quest HD since Discovery said that they were "working on it".
Quest have only won the rights to highlights which C5 have been showing this season.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:35   #753
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Sorry, yes, I should have made that clearer.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:50   #754
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
There won't be a vote on this, it's a case of negotiation.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:50   #755
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
There won't be a vote on this, it's a case of negotiation.
I agree. I don't think Malone would be involved in this level of operational detail anyway.
Old 08-05-2018, 16:05   #756
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I would think that the two entities would negotiate as separate unconnected companies, but if this didn't obtain a positive result, someone higher up could influence the outcome.

It reminds me of the time when VM sold off some channels that they held a 50% stake in, just prior to this all of the ones missing from the portfolio launched on VM.

In certain cases, decisions can be influenced, remember when the Sky channels were pulled from VM in a carriage dispute? Staff changed the EPG entries to Sky Gone, Sky Snooze etc. Branson thought that this was childish and ordered them to be corrected back..
Old 09-05-2018, 11:50   #757
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Could this be a signal that Liberty Global will soon have its hands on the cash to buy ITV?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...oadband-assets
Old 11-05-2018, 11:15   #758
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I wonder if La Liga UK rights owner 11 Sports will set up as a channel as it has done in other countries? The advent of stand-alone sports channels like DAZN and 11 Sports seems to vindicate VM's strategy of not following BT into this market.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...eleven-sports/
Old 11-05-2018, 11:51   #759
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Genuine question how many in the UK are going to pay another sub to watch La Liga ? , very few I'd say.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01   #760
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Genuine question how many in the UK are going to pay another sub to watch La Liga ? , very few I'd say.
Only those with more money then sense l would imagine...
Old 11-05-2018, 12:20   #761
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The implicit question is what do Eleven Sports do with those rights. The clock is ticking!
- Sub-licence to BT, Sky, Premier Sports or Amazon?
- Sub-licence to a PSB?
- Offer free online sponsored by Santander?
- Acquire more rights to form a channel and then try and get it bundled in with BT Sport or Premier Sports?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:42   #762
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The implicit question is what do Eleven Sports do with those rights. The clock is ticking!
- Sub-licence to BT, Sky, Premier Sports or Amazon?
- Sub-licence to a PSB?
- Offer free online sponsored by Santander?
- Acquire more rights to form a channel and then try and get it bundled in with BT Sport or Premier Sports?
They could snap up more content. The rights to Seria A and Eredivisie are up for grabs along with the Scottish Cup and Scottish International teams friendlies. I'm sure Amazon would love to add Eleven Sports as one of their Amazon channels.
Old 11-05-2018, 13:07   #763
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
They could snap up more content. The rights to Seria A and Eredivisie are up for grabs along with the Scottish Cup and Scottish International teams friendlies. I'm sure Amazon would love to add Eleven Sports as one of their Amazon channels.
That's right. I don't think for one minute that La Liga will be the only sport on Eleven Sports (note the plural!).
Old 11-05-2018, 13:23   #764
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

I like football, but only ever watch the Real/Barcelona games - don't watch any of your suggestions so for me it is a non-starter if it isn't free.
Old 11-05-2018, 13:50   #765
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Exactly the majority of UK viewers who watch Football view the Champions League , Premier League , EFL etc.

The rest is just filler , I wouldn't subscribe to a Channel with just foreign football league's.
Closed Thread