Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 17-12-2017, 19:04   #4051
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Apologies for not being clear enough - what I meant was the 38 premium channels are not premium channels on sky.

I.e. Premium channels on sky are things like sky sports, premier sports, BT sports, sky movie channels - channels that you pay extra for on top of the basic service.
I guess they call them premium channels for the same reason - that is that they are channels you pay for on top of the basic (free) service.
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2017, 19:17   #4052
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Apologies for not being clear enough - what I meant was the 38 premium channels are not premium channels on sky.

I.e. Premium channels on sky are things like sky sports, premier sports, BT sports, sky movie channels - channels that you pay extra for on top of the basic service.
Ah i see what you meant i apologise for saying you might be trolling.
They are classed as premium channels as they are a extra addon on tvplayers service, even bt and plusnet count those channels as prem chans but i can see where you was coming from.
Old 21-12-2017, 10:53   #4053
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Web browsing now added to Amazon TV boxes (Not tried yet)

With Firefox and Silk web browsers on Fire TV, the entire world wide web is now at your fingertips. You can now access all your favorite web content on the big screen, including sports, news, TV shows, movies, social news, and web videos. Use your Fire TV remote buttons to easily search the web, navigate pages, and play, pause, and fast forward web videos.

Edit: Sory, I missed this bit:
Ready to get browsing? Simply search for Firefox or Silk on your Fire TV, and download the app to get started.

Last edited by passingbat; 21-12-2017 at 11:21.
Old 21-12-2017, 15:15   #4054
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

This should cheer OB up a bit

Report: Number of Netflix Subscriptions in US Now Same as Cable

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/1...-us-now-cable/
Old 21-12-2017, 15:55   #4055
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
This should cheer OB up a bit

Report: Number of Netflix Subscriptions in US Now Same as Cable

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/1...-us-now-cable/
For information, here is the source data, which goes into more detail.

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/advisory-s...ou-stream.html

Some interesting points
Quote:
Despite growth, streaming shows signs of unrest
Consumers are showing signs of being overwhelmed.

While respondents indicate they have four services on average—including Pay TV and digital services—they only watch about two of those services on a regular basis.

Just a quarter of consumers say they can handle using more than four services in addition to Pay TV.

Looking for content only adds to the burden—a notion we analyze in depth in our sister Consumer Intelligence Series publication on content discovery.
Quote:
Additionally, having too many options might mean limited growth for incumbents and new entrants alike—the #1 reason for ending a subscription is “I didn’t use it enough” (29%).

With all the energy and resources required to keep up with subscriptions and content, appreciation for the ease of Pay TV grows.

Pay TV solves many of the issues that surround streaming, creating a relaxed and efficient viewing process.

Pay TV spin-offs that can provide viewers with the best of both worlds are poised for success.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 21-12-2017 at 16:01.
Old 21-12-2017, 16:34   #4056
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Reading between the lines here and in light of Murdoch's sell out to Disney, if consumers use no more than four paytv services with only two being regularly used, you can equate that to how the media industry will become.

The six major Hollywood studios are already about to be reduced to five and eventually with media consolidations down to probably three. They'll be three or four companies controlling all media in the end probably with their own cable, satellite, and/or mobile networks AND streaming apps.

To think that Netflix has only been around for 20 years and only half of that as a streaming company. In that ten years the streaming operation has become so big that's its made one of the biggest media moguls of all time sell up. Astonishing. And yet some people still think on demand is irrelevant.
Old 21-12-2017, 18:25   #4057
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

What was Netflix before it was a streaming company?
Old 21-12-2017, 18:30   #4058
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

It was originally conceived as a competitor to Amazon (talk about things going full circle) but quickly became the main rival to Blockbuster where you could rent DVDs through the post.

I don't know about anyone else, but five years ago, I'd never even heard of Netflix and now they're everywhere. It's one of my primary ways to watch TV these days.
Old 21-12-2017, 18:57   #4059
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Never knew that, I've always known it as a streaming company. Wasn't it just films that they streamed to start with??
Old 21-12-2017, 19:51   #4060
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Never knew that, I've always known it as a streaming company. Wasn't it just films that they streamed to start with??
They started as a video rental service via post
Old 21-12-2017, 20:14   #4061
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I meant when they started streaming (always thought their name was derived from films over the internet).
Old 21-12-2017, 21:56   #4062
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
I meant when they started streaming (always thought their name was derived from films over the internet).
It's an interesting point.

They would probably say that they got that name because you could rent, order the dvds over the net. I reckon, even twenty years ago, their ambitions were wider than that and they had to wait for the technology to catch up with their ambitions.

In a office I used to work in, you could rent dvds from a vending machine. When the machine was filled up with new films, the envelopes that contained the dvds had the words Netflix on them, which meant nothing to me at the time. That was several years before Netflix ever officially operated in the UK, so they have been around, albeit behind the scenes, for a while now.

Last edited by Horizon; 21-12-2017 at 22:00.
Old 21-12-2017, 23:19   #4063
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
For information, here is the source data, which goes into more detail.

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/advisory-s...ou-stream.html

Some interesting points

Personally, I'm not that interested. I stream as much as possible and record things I can't, but have no issues with those who prefer linear TV. As mentioned in my post, I thought OB would be interested.
Old 21-12-2017, 23:27   #4064
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Personally, I'm not that interested. I stream as much as possible and record things I can't, but have no issues with those who prefer linear TV. As mentioned in my post, I thought OB would be interested.
Yes, thank you, passingbat.

As you know, I stream and record only, never watch anything live.

I don't have an issue with people who prefer linear, I'm just puzzled as to why.

Although the reports on all this can be mixed, I am pretty sure that the trend is pointing to a steady increase in preference for streaming. I think this will become much more noticeable over the coming years.
Old 22-12-2017, 12:27   #4065
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Web browsing now added to Amazon TV boxes (Not tried yet)

With Firefox and Silk web browsers on Fire TV, the entire world wide web is now at your fingertips. You can now access all your favorite web content on the big screen, including sports, news, TV shows, movies, social news, and web videos. Use your Fire TV remote buttons to easily search the web, navigate pages, and play, pause, and fast forward web videos.

Edit: Sory, I missed this bit:
Ready to get browsing? Simply search for Firefox or Silk on your Fire TV, and download the app to get started.
Tried it last night. Opened Firefox and the first direct link is for YouTube. Clicked on the YouTube link and it took me to the TV friendly version of YouTube. Identical to the YouTube app. All in I was able to watch videos within 20 seconds. If Google pull the YouTube app from Fire TV it's no longer an issue for me. All it takes is 1 more click and about 10 seconds longer than usual to enjoy the exact same YouTube experience.
Closed Thread