Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 12-05-2013, 10:15   #1351
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
Soon I hope as getting BT Sports or not will sway me to change to Sky or stay with VM
I don't expect VM to get btsport and I have given my reasons why in previous posts. I really wouldn't hold your breath. It certainly won't be free for VM customers. If BT do agree to allow carriage on VM then they will expect full subscription for it, they categorically WILL NOT allow VM to get it away free, it would not make any commercial sense to do so. If BT were to do this, they would effectively be giving away control of their own sports channel.
VM will not be able to afford to take a £12 hit for every XL subscriber.

As soon as I can get Infinity, I am moving and taking BB, phone and Youview with BT.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Just been watching BT Sport 1 to see if any other info and once you have BT Sport you can watch it on the go via the BT Sport app and have it on as many devices as you want with 2 streaming at the same time. There seemed to be no hint of it coming to VM thou but surely all they need to do is do the same as Sky customers and need the card number and go through same process. If it is going to be on VM i cant see it being free, i see it being same cost as Sky customers
That's not right mate. VM is a closed platform. Their card numbers do not have conditional access. Sky does, so BT can retail directly to Sky customers.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36   #1352
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
That's not right mate. VM is a closed platform. Their card numbers do not have conditional access. Sky does, so BT can retail directly to Sky customers.
Oh ok i didnt know that. Its like i siad in my pre post thee was no hint of it coming to VM. There is still plenty of time for BT and VM to come up with a deal thou
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53   #1353
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
When the hell are we going to find out? >
If we go by the experiences of ESPN then early July perhaps.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18   #1354
Mr Banana

Quote:
I don't expect VM to get btsport and I have given my reasons why in previous posts. I really wouldn't hold your breath. It certainly won't be free for VM customers. If BT do agree to allow carriage on VM then they will expect full subscription for it, they categorically WILL NOT allow VM to get it away free, it would not make any commercial sense to do so. If BT were to do this, they would effectively be giving away control of their own sports channel.
VM will not be able to afford to take a £12 hit for every XL subscriber.

As soon as I can get Infinity, I am moving and taking BB, phone and Youview with BT.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Nobody knows what VM will do. If they rolled it into an other package it wouldn't be a £12 hit as they already pay x to ESPN - rumour is £6, so it will be a £6 hit or less, depending on the commercials they can agree. It's also Liberty Global as of 1st week in June - hence the delay, however they may choose to pay whatever

Also another poster sent me a link which confirms Sky Sports 1 and 2 are not available on BT You View - only BT Vision. There's no way my wife would move to that as its very limited and you would need a 2nd line to get services in another room.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27   #1355
colin1234
Inactive

Services: VIP 20
colin1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not done a comparison yet but it does seem that the best way to get all sports is sky tv and bt broadband.Currently out of contract with virgin and just rang retentions to see what they could do,apparently you can only speak to them monday-saturday,oh well try again tommorow,but not holding out much hope.
colin1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30   #1356
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1234 View Post
Not done a comparison yet but it does seem that the best way to get all sports is sky tv and bt broadband.Currently out of contract with virgin and just rang retentions to see what they could do,apparently you can only speak to them monday-saturday,oh well try again tommorow,but not holding out much hope.
Yes that does seem the best approach if you are into sports

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

There have been a lot of comments re VM not carrying BT sports, myself included. However (I posted this on the What Liberty Global will bring Topic) its clear that Sports is a large part of their portfolio

http://www.chellomedia.com/index.php?r=channels/index

Sport1 is part of our Sport TV Network covering the Netherlands, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania. In the Netherlands it is the number one premium sports channel available on subscription and carries the best international and Dutch sports, including the UEFA Champions League, F.A. Premier League, Italy's Serie A, Spain's La Liga, top international golf and tennis tournaments and MotoGP. Sport1 is also Central Europe's most popular sports channel, broadcast through local language feeds, each channel broadcasting the very best in international and local sports, including top international football, basketball, and ice hockey and the NFL.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51   #1357
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post

Also another poster sent me a link which confirms Sky Sports 1 and 2 are not available on BT You View - only BT Vision.
Not even on Vision as I found out earlier in this thread as it would appear the Sky Sports feeds are being replaced with BT Sports
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:54   #1358
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
True. Though what I meant was before Setanta came about we were paying less. As more and more bidding wars came about we started paying more and more to cover it.

Like I said before Sky were making losses for many many years, they had planned for it, I'm sure BT are planning the same, in it for the long term and have the money like Sky did to take the losses for some time.
Fair enough, but the more people continue to pay, the more Sky will keep paying over the odds (if required), and will continue to charge as much as they do. Sky spent far too much money on the football this time round. It's all well and good complaining about how unfair it is (and I agree it is unfair) but you have the power to do something about it.
Besides, what is to say that Sky would not be charging more if they had a monopoly on it?
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:29   #1359
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Nobody knows what VM will do. If they rolled it into an other package it wouldn't be a £12 hit as they already pay x to ESPN - rumour is £6, so it will be a £6 hit or less, depending on the commercials they can agree. It's also Liberty Global as of 1st week in June - hence the delay, however they may choose to pay whatever

Also another poster sent me a link which confirms Sky Sports 1 and 2 are not available on BT You View - only BT Vision. There's no way my wife would move to that as its very limited and you would need a 2nd line to get services in another room.
If BT want the full subscription amount (which I imagine they will) then VM would take a minimum of a £12 hit.

BT sports and the old ESPN as two different kettle of fish. ESPN needed VM's business to survive as their £10 subscription they charged wasn't seeing a lot of people take them up on their channel. They didn't have an infrastructure or existing customers they could sell/promote to.

Bt is different. It can offset it's cost by offering attractive deals to retain possible defectors therefore reducing churn and boosting profits and they can acquire new customers.

I know what you're saying, Multiroom would be an issue for me too. But apparently bt sport customers will be able to stream on two devices at the same time.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Quote:
Yes that does seem the best approach if you are into sports

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

There have been a lot of comments re VM not carrying BT sports, myself included. However (I posted this on the What Liberty Global will bring Topic) its clear that Sports is a large part of their portfolio

http://www.chellomedia.com/index.php?r=channels/index

Sport1 is part of our Sport TV Network covering the Netherlands, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania. In the Netherlands it is the number one premium sports channel available on subscription and carries the best international and Dutch sports, including the UEFA Champions League, F.A. Premier League, Italy's Serie A, Spain's La Liga, top international golf and tennis tournaments and MotoGP. Sport1 is also Central Europe's most popular sports channel, broadcast through local language feeds, each channel broadcasting the very best in international and local sports, including top international football, basketball, and ice hockey and the NFL.
Those sports you mention are all under contracts for broadcasting rights by Sky sports, Bt sports, Eurosport etc. Liberty couldn't add those channels even if they wanted to.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Fair enough, but the more people continue to pay, the more Sky will keep paying over the odds (if required), and will continue to charge as much as they do. Sky spent far too much money on the football this time round. It's all well and good complaining about how unfair it is (and I agree it is unfair) but you have the power to do something about it.
Besides, what is to say that Sky would not be charging more if they had a monopoly on it?
They've had the monopoly for years and ever year it's become more and more expensive without any real competition.

Fair play to BT though, at least they are trying to make it more affordable. Just wish they could some how give it to us VM customers.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32   #1360
Mr Banana

Quote:
If BT want the full subscription amount (which I imagine they will) then VM would take a minimum of a £12 hit.

BT sports and the old ESPN as two different kettle of fish. ESPN needed VM's business to survive as their £10 subscription they charged wasn't seeing a lot of people take them up on their channel. They didn't have an infrastructure or existing customers they could sell/promote to.

Bt is different. It can offset it's cost by offering attractive deals to retain possible defectors therefore reducing churn and boosting profits and they can acquire new customers.

I know what you're saying, Multiroom would be an issue for me too. But apparently bt sport customers will be able to stream on two devices at the same time.

What I mean is that the ESPN contracts will end so VM may save £6 per sub, hence a further £6 hit if they give BT Sports free.

The post re Liberty is not about them getting into sports rights - they have already said they won't - the point was that sports is part of their portfolio so they may push to get BT Sport on VM

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Those sports you mention are all under contracts for broadcasting rights by Sky sports, Bt sports, Eurosport etc. Liberty couldn't add those channels even if they wanted to.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

They've had the monopoly for years and ever year it's become more and more expensive without any real competition.

Fair play to BT though, at least they are trying to make it more affordable. Just wish they could some how give it to us VM customers.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:35   #1361
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
That's called inflation and you know it. Everyone's prices go up.
If you were a Sky customer and you were paying £10 a month for ESPN. Plus whatever for bb, you can now move that BB to BT and get a much better equivalent to ESPN for free.

How is that more?
It was way more than inflation. Was because more money has had to be bid to secure rights.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37   #1362
tvtimes
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
It was way more than inflation. Was because more money has had to be bid to secure rights.
It was 3% which is their normal annual price increase. So no it wasn't.
Old 12-05-2013, 13:41   #1363
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Sky get 116 football matches a season, have 21 years experience and the best commentating team. More than enough for me, I won't be subscribing to BT.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:58   #1364
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Sky get 116 football matches a season, have 21 years experience and the best commentating team. More than enough for me, I won't be subscribing to BT.
Post of the day! I shall miss the Italian football and some of the rugby union, but no way am I paying extra or dumping Sky Sports whilst can afford it so unlucky BT....
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 14:03   #1365
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
It will be like David versus Goliath and Goliath will win this comfortably with one hand tied behind his back when it gets down to the nitty gritty.