Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 10-05-2013, 16:21   #1291
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see VM miss out on this, maybe for a season anyway.

My contract is due in August again, BT Fibre is due here in July too apparently and one of the main reasons we took XL TV was for Setanta/ESPN.
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2013, 16:32   #1292
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see VM miss out on this, maybe for a season anyway.

My contract is due in August again, BT Fibre is due here in July too apparently and one of the main reasons we took XL TV was for Setanta/ESPN.
Me either. I think they've only committed to it being free with their broadband for the first year so it makes sense that the picture next year might be different to this.

Personally I re-contracted in December to avoid the price increases and picked up a decent discount in the process, but I did so fully aware that ESPN was going and the picture regarding Bt Sport was unclear so I'm not losing any sleep over it. I really don't think it's that great a product.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 16:43   #1293
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So that would naturally mean your also talking cobblers as you also have no inside knowledge either way , so its not advisable to mislead people asking the question. BenMcr has already provided a link you can register with for updates on the situation , so let VM keep the customer informed rather than making random assumptions without the source to back it up , its not at all helpful.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35566926-post940.html
l have never said l knew anything of course but l am just telling people of how l see it and l did not know there was anything wrong with having a opinion on things as there are many here who have their opinions about everything all and sundry and the last time l looked free speech is allowed unless you have suddenly barred it.
Old 10-05-2013, 16:48   #1294
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Rest assured he is talking a load of cobblers.
Quote:
l have never said l knew anything of course but l am just telling people of how l see it and l did not know there was anything wrong with having a opinion on things as there are many here who have their opinions about everything all and sundry and the last time l looked free speech is allowed unless you have suddenly barred it.
Apologies Den , I wasn't having a dig of course your entitled to an opinion I'm guilty of speculating myself , however on this issue I think people are going to have to be patient and let VM try and negotiate a deal which they'll inform people of via Bens link.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 17:02   #1295
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Apologies Den , I wasn't having a dig of course your entitled to an opinion I'm guilty of speculating myself , however on this issue I think people are going to have to be patient and let VM try and negotiate a deal which they'll inform people of via Bens link.
l am myself very patient and confident about VM getting BT Sports but of course people have different opinions and l can understand those opinions totally and l like everybody want to know when we will get it and for how much and Bens link is extremely useful as l have signed up to it myself.
Old 10-05-2013, 17:43   #1296
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
l am myself very patient and confident about VM getting BT Sports but of course people have different opinions and l can understand those opinions totally and l like everybody want to know when we will get it and for how much and Bens link is extremely useful as l have signed up to it myself.
I agree, it's a good link to sign up to for more info in the future
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 19:28   #1297
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Maybe it's time people started going to see live local sport, instead of spending up to £650.00 per year to watch it on TV!
I tried that by watching Coventry City FC.

I'm now on medication.

HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 22:14   #1298
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
which makes the decision to with hold the channels a joke MM as they make lot more money letting others have them

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

price will continue only to go up no chance they come down
So you think if BT at the next TV deal negotiations, acquire half the matches = 77 and Sky have 77 also that Sky can still justify charging the same amount, even if BT are charging much less for the same number of games.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 22:22   #1299
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
So you think if BT at the next TV deal negotiations, acquire half the matches = 77 and Sky have 77 also that Sky can still justify charging the same amount, even if BT are charging much less for the same number of games.
both bt and sky will bid more next time to try make sure they get the game packs so prices will go up again not down
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 00:26   #1300
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
both bt and sky will bid more next time to try make sure they get the game packs so prices will go up again not down
Yes, but if BT acquire 50% of the games.

Sky wouldn't be able to afford to charge higher prices for the same amount. Get it?

Competition = driving down prices.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 00:39   #1301
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
Yes, but if BT acquire 50% of the games.

Sky wouldn't be able to afford to charge higher prices for the same amount. Get it?

Competition = driving down prices.
no chance will bt get half the games

why then do different train companies charge different prices for same thing then of phone companies 2 examples charge different prices for exact same thing

higher bids for next deal = higher prices for customers not rocket science
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:50   #1302
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
no chance will bt get half the games

why then do different train companies charge different prices for same thing then of phone companies 2 examples charge different prices for exact same thing

higher bids for next deal = higher prices for customers not rocket science
tend to agree...someone will pay, and companies are not normally known for thinking about reducing prices to customers (Uk is known as rip off Britain)
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32   #1303
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
tend to agree...someone will pay, and companies are not normally known for thinking about reducing prices to customers (Uk is known as rip off Britain)
Summed up perfectly Colin as we have been told for years that competition drives down prices but yet l don't think many of us have seen any proof of it.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:52   #1304
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/398...Sky-into-touch

interesting.

I am curious to know the end game. Is BT doing this to reinforce its broadband (making that its staple/stable supply). That puts it directly against Virgin, as a broadband provider.

It could also mean BT is trying to compete on sports front (don't see it trying to do all tv). that said, if internet is going to be the medium that people watch tv in future, then broadband is the delivery you want to be in now.

I am interested in short-term. Though never seen fast broadband as important (my gaming connection sucked with virgin), if infinity (and beyond) works well, I might be tempted (at worst, try it for a year, and go back to sky if unhappy).

I tend to view switching providers is occasionally wise, as companies tend to view regular customers as cash cows (which of course, doesn't moo me )

So just waiting for to see how sky respond, but they need to be quick about it, or I might switch purely as I can't be bothered waiting

(oh, not ruling out virgin, though suspect they have nothing I want, at least for the price they charge)
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:41   #1305
Mr Banana

If you are on Sky and into sports it makes sense to me to change to BT broadband as its a very straight forward change. Not so simple if on VM though as you would need to go to a combination of Sky/BT or onto You View or BT Vision. Can you have additional outlets with BT as that would be a problem for my missus if you couldn't not sure I could convince her to give up TiVo either. The wife and kids also have cheap mobile deals from VM which I would also lose.