Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 14-12-2018, 19:46   #8836
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You had to question the Eleven Sports business plan.

You have big hitters like Sky and BT and other players in the market like Premier Sports and Box Nation all fighting for subscribers.

Did ES not remember what happened to Setanta and others.

There is only so much ££ to go around . You have to be sure your product be attractive enough. Right now Premier League football rights is king and is the headline grabber for new subscribers.

Without that you are fighting for a tiny niche in the market. It's already expensive enough to get Sky Sports and BT Sports (they have PL footy). Premier Sports I suspect struggle and barely get enough subscribers to survive, Hopefully they too will come to their senses one day and seek a wholesale package on VM and Sky.

For ES to expect punters to find more cash for them was dreamland really. I like football but i wasnt going pay more on top of the ££ I already pay out just to watch La Liga or Seria A. I may watch them if I already had access through Sky or BT but not as an additional standalone package.

What also hurt them was not getting onto the TV platforms like VM Sky or BT.

Relying on streaming alone is just an extra hassle for most people. Most want their sport conveniently all in one place so they can watch on their big screen TV not to have to think about casting or chromecasts or fire sticks and the like.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2018, 21:43   #8837
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
You had to question the Eleven Sports business plan.

You have big hitters like Sky and BT and other players in the market like Premier Sports and Box Nation all fighting for subscribers.

Did ES not remember what happened to Setanta and others.

There is only so much ££ to go around . You have to be sure your product be attractive enough. Right now Premier League football rights is king and is the headline grabber for new subscribers.

Without that you are fighting for a tiny niche in the market. It's already expensive enough to get Sky Sports and BT Sports (they have PL footy). Premier Sports I suspect struggle and barely get enough subscribers to survive, Hopefully they too will come to their senses one day and seek a wholesale package on VM and Sky.

For ES to expect punters to find more cash for them was dreamland really. I like football but i wasnt going pay more on top of the ££ I already pay out just to watch La Liga or Seria A. I may watch them if I already had access through Sky or BT but not as an additional standalone package.

What also hurt them was not getting onto the TV platforms like VM Sky or BT.

Relying on streaming alone is just an extra hassle for most people. Most want their sport conveniently all in one place so they can watch on their big screen TV not to have to think about casting or chromecasts or fire sticks and the like.
This just about sums up the situation
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:07   #8838
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

Seasons greetings BM's, I am a bit out of the loop on Sky Sports packages.

Can I still purchase a SS package for a minimum of 30 days at a cost of around £33 pm?

If I have the package for just over a month for Christmas and New Year, do I need to cancel the next day after starting the package to have it for the minimum term?
TIA
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 20:07   #8839
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post

Can I still purchase a SS package for a minimum of 30 days at a cost of around £33 pm?

If I have the package for just over a month for Christmas and New Year, do I need to cancel the next day after starting the package to have it for the minimum term?
TIA
If you're not bothered about the HD channels and recording you could just get a 1 month now tv pass
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 07:32   #8840
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

Thanks Gavin D, but is the Now TV SS monthly rate £33.99 and VM SS pack £31.75?

I only want to watch SS on my TV and also keep the package for the minimum one month, good news is that BT sport are showing The Big Bash. (cricket )
Old 20-12-2018, 13:16   #8841
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post

TIA
When I cancelled Premier Spts, I thought I was giving 30 days notice however my access to the station (and recordings) finished a couple of days later.
Old 20-12-2018, 17:28   #8842
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

New Sky Sports USA pop-up channel starts up in January.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018...ports-channel/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 17:33   #8843
gus0898uk
cf.addict

I have just taken out the Sky Sports package by using 150 plus many buttons pressed for £31.75 as a Christmas treat. During the call it stated that I have to give 30 days notice to cancel so tomorrow I will call to cancel the package.
Old 22-12-2018, 17:05   #8844
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Sky have Soccer Saturday on Sky One today, Boxing day and next Saturday

All 3 Sky Sports boxing day matches are also on Sky One
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 22:20   #8845
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Sky have Soccer Saturday on Sky One today, Boxing day and next Saturday

All 3 Sky Sports boxing day matches are also on Sky One
A good teaser for those without Sky Sports. I wonder if they ever publish the figures for new sports subs these offers bring in?
Old 27-12-2018, 23:24   #8846
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
A good teaser for those without Sky Sports. I wonder if they ever publish the figures for new sports subs these offers bring in?
I doubt anyone sub's to sky sports after seeing a few games on sky one.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:05   #8847
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I guess the answer to that depends on how many non-sports subscribers to Sky and Virgin actually enjoy watching sport.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:12   #8848
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I guess the answer to that depends on how many non-sports subscribers to Sky and Virgin actually enjoy watching sport.
I would have thought there are plenty who don't subscribe, for 1 reason or another, if they can get 10-20% of those to subscribe (they know what people watch so can target them with ads/offers) it will be worth it as it hasn't cost them a penny.
Old 28-12-2018, 16:13   #8849
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I think it’d be pretty aspirational, given the high brand awareness and existing level of subscribers to get 10-20% on the back of three “free” games.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 17:37   #8850
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think it’d be pretty aspirational, given the high brand awareness and existing level of subscribers to get 10-20% on the back of three “free” games.
The 10-20% was of those that watched the games on sky1, not the whole subscriber base minus existing sports subscribers.

If you don't think you will attract new sports subscribers, no point in doing it.

Also they weren't the only games on sky1 over the festive period.