Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | life on mars

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

life on mars

Old 21-02-2006, 09:56   #91
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society
Re: life on mars

the thing with the last episode is that if he gets back to 2006 there can't be a second series..

don't think this will be solved next week as then the programme can't continue
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2006, 10:14   #92
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
the thing with the last episode is that if he gets back to 2006 there can't be a second series..

Not strictly true, if he is in a coma or even actually back in '73, they will probably come up with a way for him to get back or even get to another point in time.

As it looks like he might be there to save his dad, judging from the trailer last night.
Old 21-02-2006, 10:21   #93
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

...as long as it's not another "shower" scenario a la Bobby Ewing

ps - thanks all for the Trolls info
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 10:22   #94
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda
Not strictly true, if he is in a coma or even actually back in '73, they will probably come up with a way for him to get back or even get to another point in time.

As it looks like he might be there to save his dad, judging from the trailer last night.
didn't watch the trailor as prefer to see what's going to happen for myself when it comes on

yes i guess they could move him to another point in time for second series or take him back again but that will just end up getting abit stupid in a series as well written as this i think they will either leave him there or if he gets back there might not be a series two
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 10:26   #95
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda
Now you're going all Quantum Leap on us.

Ziggy says theres a 78% chance you're here to turn your dad's life around, Sam.

Hey, did anyone notice that coincidence? Is it a coincidence?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 10:32   #96
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Yep, I spotted that one in episode 1

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

/me was a huge QL fan at the time. Saw some old episodes not too long ago, however, and they were quite cringeworthy
Old 21-02-2006, 10:36   #97
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
/me was a huge QL fan at the time. Saw some old episodes not too long ago, however, and they were quite cringeworthy
I was off work with a done-in neck recently for a week and had a chance to watch a lot of the old favourites courtesy of Bravo and UK Gold. It was surprising to see which shows have aged like good wine and which have turned to vinegar. QL doesn't look too clever now. The Dukes of Hazzard, on the other hand - now that is timeless. Makes you wonder how it was possible for them to balls up the feature film version as badly as they did.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 10:37   #98
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Now you're going all Quantum Leap on us.

Ziggy says theres a 78% chance you're here to turn your dad's life around, Sam.

Hey, did anyone notice that coincidence? Is it a coincidence?
I did notice, thats what made me think of that. The ep description on the BBC site does give quite a bit of info.

I still have the first ep of QL sitting on my PC
Old 21-02-2006, 11:13   #99
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer

unless it develops into a kind of 'Goodnight Sweetheart' scenario, where he is able to travel backwards & forwards in time, at will.
Old 21-02-2006, 11:24   #100
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Oh, I hope it doesn't turn into another Goodnight Sweetheart.

It might work if he travels to a different period in time, although can you imagine it set in '88 with yuppies wearing stripey shirts with braces, or Don Johnson type suits with loafers I think it wouldn't be as difficult to recreate, and by extension, less impressive for the viewer. Possibly going back another decade to the 60's would've been pretty cool, but I think anything earlier than that would be too stiff upper lip and too reserved to be funny.

In a way, I hope that if he does get back to the current day, then there isn't a 2nd series. As much as I enjoy the current series, ending it on a high note would be good, rather than dragging it out beyond its sell by date.
Old 21-02-2006, 11:35   #101
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
In a way, I hope that if he does get back to the current day, then there isn't a 2nd series. As much as I enjoy the current series, ending it on a high note would be good, rather than dragging it out beyond its sell by date.
Yes, good point, I think most of us are enjoying this series so much that we want it to continue, but I agree that closure would be preferable to extending it to the point of absurdity.
Old 21-02-2006, 11:52   #102
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Even if it comes to close there are ways it can continue. A different copper maybe who reacts differently going back in time. A different person who has a different job. Going back to a different decade as well. Imagine a GP going back to the 1800s where he has to amputate without anaesthetic and perform medical procedurures/use medicine that he know won't work.

The concept, comparing the past with the present is a really good one, I think they should take it as far as it can go. I am not sure the 80s would work though, as its too recent. Its not really like Life on mars, as it were. Even I can remember the 80s
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 14:23   #103
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The trouble is that 'time travel' can be overused.I also think that keeping up the two central themes of the coma and Tyler having some commitment/mission can only go so far.Boredom will set in pretty quickly if the series is extended too far.Besides thus far the writing has been high quality..it could be very difficult to maintain for more than one series.
Old 21-02-2006, 21:47   #104
Silent Wings
Inactive

Silent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of societySilent Wings is a pillar of society
Send a message via MSN to Silent Wings

They were on Steve Wright and said they are doing a second series...

Steve joked that they could do a 3rd series where Gene comes to 2006 now that would be amusing
Silent Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 22:12   #105
hoggyspuds
Inactive

Services: 10meg
hoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of light

DCI Hunt knocks Sam down in 2006.......just my theory
hoggyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote