Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | life on mars

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

life on mars

Old 14-02-2006, 09:48   #76
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: life on mars

There are I'm afraid some errors in the "sets" that they use. They do well to find buildings that look 1970s or earlier in their architecture. They then excel at clearing an office and refitting it with period furniture, typewriters, desk lamps, etc. Just a shame about the modern cat 2 flourescent lighting in the suspended ceiling :

But I'm nit picking - the whole concept of the programme is excellent, and it's well put together. I just hope it's not too expensive that it can't go on to more series.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2006, 10:02   #77
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
There are I'm afraid some errors in the "sets" that they use. They do well to find buildings that look 1970s or earlier in their architecture. They then excel at clearing an office and refitting it with period furniture, typewriters, desk lamps, etc. Just a shame about the modern cat 2 flourescent lighting in the suspended ceiling :

But I'm nit picking - the whole concept of the programme is excellent, and it's well put together. I just hope it's not too expensive that it can't go on to more series.
The producers commented on how hard it was to get 1970s locations in Manchester. If you look at the terraced houses they often use as a backdrop, most of them have uPVC double glazing (although they look like they have had old front doors re-hung on them), and whenever they visit a large industrial or office building, there are air-con units all over them, which AFAIK would have been a bit of a luxury in 1970s England. They are pretty good at setting up their shots to keep these sorts of things out of focus and in the extreme background as much as possible.

TBH you can spot inaccuracies, bloopers and anachronisms in some of the best films Hollywood has made. If they can cock it up with a budget in the hundreds of millions, I reckon this lot are doing pretty darned well! I have never felt my enjoyment of the programme to be dulled by any anachronisms. It is far too engaging.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 15:31   #78
Nanook
Inactive

Services: VM 30Mb, Tivo 1TB
Nanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to all

Check out the pavements, looks like ntl have been laying cable in some of the streets.
Good show all the same but a bit sparing with the music this week.... last week was great, THREE Hawkwind tracks in one episode!
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:03   #79
hoggyspuds
Inactive

Services: 10meg
hoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of light

another excellent episode!
hoggyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:08   #80
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Man, I can't believe next week's is the last. This is a superb series. Monday nights won't be the same.
Old 20-02-2006, 22:12   #81
hoggyspuds
Inactive

hoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of lighthoggyspuds is a glorious beacon of light

how about this.....DCI Hunt is Sam's dad?
Old 20-02-2006, 22:16   #82
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggyspuds
Nooooo ... that would be a seriously convoluted twist. Besides, Hunt is too old, and they have already alluded to Mr Tyler senior who is 'away' a lot. I think we're going to find he's a crim who is in and out of jail.
Old 20-02-2006, 22:19   #83
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggyspuds
Nooooo ... that would be a seriously convoluted twist. Besides, Hunt is too old, and they have already alluded to Mr Tyler senior who is 'away' a lot. I think we're going to find he's a crim who is in and out of jail.
Well, I guess that you didn't see the trailer for next week's episode then, at the end?

We will meet his dad next week...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:23   #84
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Well, I guess that you didn't see the trailer for next week's episode then, at the end?

We will meet his dad next week...
Indeed I did see the trailer, which is partly why I don't think Gene Hunt is Sam's dad. This show has been extremely clever throughout. Making Gene Hunt his dad would be tremendously sad, convoluted, and, as a 'twist', really very obvious indeed.

Hunt has talked about his wife plenty of occasions. Sam has visited his own mother at home. Sam's dad, in 1973, would have been the same-ish age that Sam is now. It just doesn't fit with what has already been revealed.
Old 20-02-2006, 22:25   #85
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Also, nice scene in the coroner's office
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:45   #86
hoggyspuds
Inactive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lifeonmar...episode8.shtml

guess my theory is out the window
Old 21-02-2006, 09:38   #87
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

I'm a bit behind everyone... thank God for UKNova! I got to the footy match episode last night, so I think I'm only a week behind everyone now.

One question I have about one of the earlier episodes (the one where the WPC is hospitalised), is whether those little troll things with the crazy haircuts existed back in '73. I can't remember any of my friends having them when I was a kid, and I always thought that they were more 80's than 70's.

It was so predominantly placed by her bedside, however, that it wasn't unintentionally placed there or unavoidable like the uPVC windows. Can anyone remember if they did exist back then?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 09:40   #88
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
It was so predominantly placed by her bedside, however, that it wasn't unintentionally placed there or unavoidable like the uPVC windows. Can anyone remember if they did exist back then?
According to this they were in production from the 1950's onwards so they did exist.

I was under the same impression that they were an 80's thing as well.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 09:41   #89
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I'm a bit behind everyone... thank God for UKNova! I got to the footy match episode last night, so I think I'm only a week behind everyone now.

One question I have about one of the earlier episodes (the one where the WPC is hospitalised), is whether those little troll things with the crazy haircuts existed back in '73. I can't remember any of my friends having them when I was a kid, and I always thought that they were more 80's than 70's.

Quote:
Trolls in their collectible form were first created by Thomas Dam and his family, in Denmark in the 1950s. The first Dam trolls were carved in wood. Later, they were made of soft rubber, and finally, vinyl.

http://collectdolls.about.com/librar.../aa120100a.htm

I love the internet.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:46   #90
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
I think they first showed up in the late 60's, so definitely NOT an 80's thing.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
I love the internet.
I love being able to remember stuff