Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Mandalorian

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

The Mandalorian

Old 11-02-2021, 19:51   #301
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: The Mandalorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Can not wait for season 3 of The Mandalorian I wonder if we will ever see Grogu again or find out if he was killed by Kylo Ren
Grogu is an essential part of success of the Mandalorian, I can see them wanting to bring him back at some point.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2021, 19:54   #302
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Grogu is an essential part of success of the Mandalorian, I can see them wanting to bring him back at some point.
Yeah I hope so . Much better to think nice thoughts than where the thread was going
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:25   #303
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I don’t think she did anything wrong, and her point was valid and an important one. But she did it clumsily. For big corporations such as family friendly Disney they won’t take any chances and have proven that in the past with Guardians director James Gunn ( although I think they have now backtracked on that and he is doing the third movie now)
Old 13-02-2021, 23:42   #304
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I guess I’m spoiled by being old enough to have been brought up on British TV pre-realism, when everything was presented as electronic theatre and you were supposed to engage your imagination to overcome the limitations of VFX and studio-bound storytelling.

Luke’s face could have been better rendered for sure, but to say it ruined anything is a bit much.
Do you know, I watched the episode again tonight and it wasn’t as bad as I got all worked up about. It was by no means good, but neither was it as bad as I initially took umbrage to.

So I admit, I may have over reacted a tad.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:16   #305
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

https://news.sky.com/story/walt-disn...rture-12241548

Quote:
The Walt Disney Company does not have a "blacklist" for conservatives and is neither "left-leaning or right-leaning", its chief executive has said.

It comes amid accusations of cancel culture in the entertainment industry which resurfaced in February after actress Gina Carano left her role as warrior Cara Dune in Star Wars spin-off series, The Mandalorian.

LucasFilm, the Disney Studios subsidiary behind the Stars Wars franchise, said the 38-year-old star was responsible for "abhorrent and unacceptable" social media posts after she reportedly referenced the Nazis' treatment of Jewish people while discussing political differences in the US now. The hashtag #FireGinaCarano had trended on Twitter as a result of her reported social media posts.

It then emerged that Pedro Pascal, the titular star of the series, had also used the Holocaust to make a political point - reportedly comparing children in cages at the US southern border to Jews in concentration camps in 2018 - but kept his job.

In a statement released following Carano's departure, Lucasfilm said: "Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future.

"Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable." Addressing the issue of political bias during an annual shareholder meeting, Disney boss Bob Chapek said the company is not "left-leaning or right-leaning" but stands "for values that are universal: values of respect, values of decency, values of integrity and values of inclusion", when asked if it had a "blacklist".

He added: "And we seek to have not only how we operate but the content that we make reflective of the rich diversity of the world that we live in. And I think that's a world that we all should live in, in harmony and peace."
Mr Chapek also announced during the meeting that the Disney+ streaming service has surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers, 16 months after its launch.

Main rival Netflix had more than 203 million subscribers as of January.

Former MMA star Carano, who was a fan favourite on The Mandalorian, has since announced she is working on a new film project with conservative media company The Daily Wire.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 16:47   #306
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Irrelevant. Only she did not make such comments in the work place - she made them on her own social media posts. They are her own private remarks not made during any performance.
I'm not famous, and where I am followed, it's by a few people, mostly friends and family, but I am always careful what I post, particularly on social media. I advise friends and family to do the same.

Sadly, one of my friends wasn't so careful, and one night, after apparently having an argument in the office of the man who was then both mine and his boss, went home, logged on to facebook and posted something about working for ****wit bosses. The next day, he was called into the boss, and told, in no uncertain terms to delete the post. He did, and promptly removed everyone he worked with from his facebook friends list.

When I discussed it with him in work a few days later he said it was because someone clearly told our boss what he put (or boss was not on facebook, so wouldn't have seen the post). Slightly offended by this (as I did not, and would not have reported anyone for this), I pointed out he had the boss's wife as a facebook friend, and it's likely she reported him, so he added me again.

I point this out because we do have a clause in our employment contracts that if we say or do anything to bring the organisation we worked for into disrepute, we could be fired for misconduct.

I've read that a lot of stars in TV shows and films do have a clause in their contract that specifically states they can't post or say anything that might be considered offensive. I've certainly heard it happens in UK productions, and I'd be staggered if it wasn't already happening in US productions. After all, whether they are left or right leaning, the likes of Disney want to sell their products to as many people as possible, regardless of whether they are left or right wing.

Taken on it's own, Gina Carino's post isn't what I'd call offensive. A bit clumsy, IMO, but I think I saw the point she was trying to make. Taken with other posts, which I didn't see, so can't judge, it could imply racism.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 00:20   #307
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have little sympathy for these people who post stuff on anti social media and then get into trouble. They shoud avoid it like the plague.

I have a facebook account, which I probably view once or twice per week, and use once every two weeks to order from a local pub. You could count the number of times I post per year on one hand. I still have a twitter account, I cant remember when I last looked at it.

AFAIK, I even have an Instagram account somewhere, I cant remember why I created it, I dont think I have ever logged back into it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 21:57   #308
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Then they have to bring him back for this!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grogu.jpg (54.4 KB, 64 views)
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 22:03   #309
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Then they have to bring him back for this!

Kylo Ren killed him anyway hehehehe
Old 28-07-2021, 11:09   #310
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) has hired to its team a YouTuber who went viral with a video that showed him using deepfake technology to improve upon the special effects in an episode of "The Mandalorian."

A representative for ILM told TheWrap that it hired the YouTuber who goes by the name Shamook, who scored nearly 2 million views for a video from December that tweaks the VFX of a scene in which a digitally de-aged Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) makes a cameo in the season 2 finale of "The Mandalorian."

"Industrial Light and Magic is always on the lookout for talented artists and have in fact hired the artist that goes by the online persona ‘Shamook,' a rep for the special effects company said. "Over the past several years ILM has been investing in both machine learning and A.I. as a means to produce compelling visual effects work and it’s been terrific to see momentum building in this space as the technology advances."

https://www.thewrap.com/lucasfilms-i...e-mandalorian/

I thought we had discussed this at the time but we didn't. What they did with Luke completely ruined it for me and when I saw the deepfake (not this side by side comparison but a full normal altered scene) the first thing I said to everyone was "why don't Lucasfilm use this dude and his footage and change it" and everyone replied saying what he has done was illegal bla bla bla. I am glad ILM have noticed it and taken the opportunity to improve going forward. My next hope is they do what they have done numerous times with the films and is to go back and make a permanent fix with this guy's version plus let him fix the sync issues. Everyone said it couldn't be done because it is a tv series on a budget and they did the best they could yet this guy did it in four days and could have done better if he had more time.

Last edited by General Maximus; 28-07-2021 at 11:16.
Old 28-07-2021, 12:07   #311
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

He didn’t start from scratch though did he - absolutely everything about that scene was already established. Lighting, camera angles, movement of the body double and every other decision was taken and all Shamook has done is the final mapping of a young Mark Hamill face onto the scene, with the added advantage of having seen it done already, allowing him to reflect on where improvements could be made before starting work.

Had he been working for ILM at the time, four whole days of his time contracted out to Disney/Lucasfilm would not have come cheap. The fact is, it *is* a TV show on a budget and talented though this guy is, had he been bound by the timescales, editorial decisions and budget at the time, and asked to create the effect from scratch rather than improving on someone else’s take on it, there’s no guarantee he would have done better. This hiring by ILM, wise though it is, does not in itself mean that he is vastly more talented than those already on staff and it can’t be taken as an admission by ILM that they screwed it up.

Incidentally, I think they could have done better, and probably should have given the emotional impact it was supposed to have. If it was a time or budget issue, then that’s bad production planning. But it really didn’t ruin the episode as some have claimed. Such histrionics are unnecessary.

Last edited by Chris; 28-07-2021 at 12:10.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 12:32   #312
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
But it really didn’t ruin the episode as some have claimed.
It did for me and this is what my realism factor is all about. You couldn't watch that scene and believe that was really Luke. Instead you just see an obvious bodge job which distracts you and takes you out of the "moment" which you are deeply and emotionally invested in.
Old 28-07-2021, 12:55   #313
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It did for me and this is what my realism factor is all about. You couldn't watch that scene and believe that was really Luke. Instead you just see an obvious bodge job which distracts you and takes you out of the "moment" which you are deeply and emotionally invested in.
As I’ve said before, your ‘realism factor’ is the problem here. If you can’t engage with visual storytelling unless what you see is hyper-real then that’s a failure of your imagination, not of the production (even if certain things could have been done better). Throughout all of history, theatre has required its audience to become part of the creative process, using the imagination to fill in necessary gaps in the story that are caused by limitations in staging or timing. Recent developments in CGI don’t absolve you of that; great swathes of any story are either implied or dealt with in shorthand and require imaginative input on your part. Come to think of it though you’ve expressed dissatisfaction about that as well - when Mando’s ship got beaten up you found it difficult to engage with the next chapter of the story because it required you to accept he had spent time getting it repaired rather than actually showing you the whole process.

There is always room in film criticism to discuss how well any production handles audience engagement. A film-maker’s prerogative to ask the audience to engage its imagination doesn’t absolve them from doing their best and it doesn’t prevent a critic from suggesting they could have done better. But I don’t think you’re engaging in an honest critical process here. One piece of CGI that could have been done better just doesn’t ruin anything. If it did so for you, I really think you need to critically examine your approach to film before you criticise the film itself.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 13:09   #314
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I feel really sorry for you, the fact in your world a bit of cgi spoiled it for you. Also please stop speaking for others and replace you with I because you only know how it effected you and not everyone else.

"I" loved the episode
Old 28-07-2021, 13:22   #315
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
As I’ve said before, your ‘realism factor’ is the problem here. If you can’t engage with visual storytelling unless what you see is hyper-real then that’s a failure of your imagination, not of the production (even if certain things could have been done better). Throughout all of history, theatre has required its audience to become part of the creative process, using the imagination to fill in necessary gaps in the story that are caused by limitations in staging or timing. Recent developments in CGI don’t absolve you of that; great swathes of any story are either implied or dealt with in shorthand and require imaginative input on your part. Come to think of it though you’ve expressed dissatisfaction about that as well - when Mando’s ship got beaten up you found it difficult to engage with the next chapter of the story because it required you to accept he had spent time getting it repaired rather than actually showing you the whole process.

There is always room in film criticism to discuss how well any production handles audience engagement. A film-maker’s prerogative to ask the audience to engage its imagination doesn’t absolve them from doing their best and it doesn’t prevent a critic from suggesting they could have done better. But I don’t think you’re engaging in an honest critical process here. One piece of CGI that could have been done better just doesn’t ruin anything. If it did so for you, I really think you need to critically examine your approach to film before you criticise the film itself.
Although I agree with you here re- GM's lust for realism over imagination I disagree with you previous post shamok not having to start from scratch.

As far as the VFX dept is concerned ILM started from the same position. The scene had been shot. Lighting, camera angles, movement of the body double and every other decision was taken then the footage was passed to ILM for the VFX to be done in post production.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote