Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can Anyone Help?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can Anyone Help?

Old 30-05-2006, 17:36   #16
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Can Anyone Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad
ok I have tried to renew the IP via cmd, it failed, the message I got back was:
Windows IP Configuration

No operation could be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State ...: Media Disabled.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection Specific DNS Suffix:
Autoconfiguration IP Address:...169.254.193.144
Subnet Mask:.........................255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

When I tried ipconfig/renew, similarly it failed, claiming to have been unable to contact my DHCP Server it timed out.

I just have no idea how to fix this! As always any help would be awesome, thanks. brad
Ok, have you tried

Shutting down the PC
Power off the router (for about 30 secomds to 1 min)
Turn router on, wait for everything to settle
then turn the PC on
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2006, 18:15   #17
mhuggett
Inactive

mhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about them

If all your other machines are working fine then the router shouldnt be an issue (Unless there is a limit to how many connections it can have at once. Way to test this, take one machine that works offline, see if you can then pick up an address)

If you are getting a 169 address (Assuming all the others are 192) then the machine isnt receiving a DHCP address from the router. So it points to the USB wireless adapter you have. Have you tried it in another machine? Does it work for anybody else? What are your settings on the wireless? (Dont post them as you dont want your neighbour hijacking your internet )
With wireless cards/wireless USB devices I have found that sometimes they work with their provided software, sometimes they work better with the built in windows/XP wireless interface. Have you tried to use both?

Try using it on a different machine if you can see what you get there, then you can identify if its the device or a firewall etc.
If it works on other machines, then try to disable the firewalls (As suggested etc) see if that makes a difference. If you can, have a look in the firewall logs, see if its dropping anything.
What are the other wireless devices? G?B? etc.. Is the router transmitting in G? (I have to turn the feature on with mine etc)

Hope that helps to narrow down to what the issue is..
mhuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 18:18   #18
brad
Inactive

brad is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, here's where I stand with the problem now! The USB adapter works fine on other computers, I've checked and i have neither Norton or Windows Firewall running on my pc.

What is the Windows XP wireless interface? how do I use that? Im sorry mhuggett but i didn't really understand what the last sentence of your comment meant. All the other wireless devices it uses are computers, and my internet fails to work even when it is the only one on and the others are all off. This is massively frustrating so if any one can give me any more advice that'd be great.

Brad

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Also, apologies to MadGamer for not replying, I have tried restarting the router, but again there was no change! brad
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 18:28   #19
zing_deleted

Have you tried uninstalling the device in control panel then removing it from pc restarting pc and then adding device to a different usb port and reinstall the software?
Also if the network is encrypted (it should be) you will need to add either the hex key or other details before you can connect properly anyway
I dont understand how no one has mentioned anything about encryption lol
Old 31-05-2006, 18:43   #20
brad
Inactive

zinglebarb, i did what you advised but to no avail, our network isnt encrypted but it never has been, and all the other pcs on it work fine. HELP!!
Old 31-05-2006, 18:48   #21
zing_deleted

your network is not encrpyted I mean man wooooot
Old 31-05-2006, 18:52   #22
brad
Inactive

its the student ethos; share and share alike. Is that actually going to prevent me gaining internet access then???
Old 31-05-2006, 18:56   #23
zing_deleted

I have no idea .Theres something in your settings doing it its not uncommon and without sitting at it I personally will have problems finding it.Have a look in your router see if theres any limiting settings.And as for student ethos I wouldnt want a stoned student floating around my network.I thought you guys were ment to have brains
Old 31-05-2006, 18:59   #24
brad
Inactive

okay cool, so how can i check the router settings on my pc?
Old 31-05-2006, 19:02   #25
zing_deleted

you will need to browse to it from someone elses.I dont think your pc is seeing it at all.In a web browser type in the address 192.168.*.* rtfm to fine the ip then the password is normally admin but this also will be in the manual
Old 31-05-2006, 19:06   #26
brad
Inactive

okay yes i can get the router settings from another pc, and have logged in. Youre right i can't access these from my own pc. What's the next step? brad
Old 31-05-2006, 19:12   #27
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Look through the settings for anything specific to one IP address or anything that looks wierd.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 19:33   #28
brad
Inactive

on the DHCP client list there are 4 listed computers, with IPs of 192.168.2.* and one which has no details except the word unknown under the Host Name Column. Im guessing that ones mine! I cant see anything else really unusual.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

ah now this is unusual:

Firewall log:
Wed May 31 08:51:35 2006 1 Blocked by DoS protection 169.254.*.*
Wed May 31 08:52:59 2006 1 Blocked by DoS protection 169.254.*.*

I think that is my IP! so whats blocking it?
Old 31-05-2006, 19:35   #29
mhuggett
Inactive

mhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about them

Sorry if I confused you Brad, but the fact that the USB wireless device works on the other machines shows that its not the device, or the router, which is a step in the right direction.

When I mentioned XP "Doing it itself" I meant, do you have to install drivers to get it to work? Or do you just plug it in. With the ones I have used, sometimes it was easier not to use the drivers that were supplied if XP was happy and picked it up itself.

Right... Where we stand
Router - Working ok.
USB device - Works when you use it on another machine.
"Problem machine" - When you put the USB wireless in, we "Think" its working, but you are not picking up an IP address from the router
Firewalls - There are none on the "Problem Machine". Is the default windows one switched off? (Not that it should matter as it should let DHCP requests through!)

Can you just confirm a few things for me as we are assuming a few things here. We are assuming that the router is giving out DHCP address, eg you plug a machine in and you get a IP address of 192.168.0.x with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 blah blah... Yeah? (Or very similar)
(Just seen your reply - so I know that its using DHCP)

Have you tried to put a static address in? See if you get any joy there?

When you try to "View wireless networks" to pick one to connect to, does it actually say connected? Limited connectivity? Anything like that?
mhuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 19:41   #30
brad
Inactive

it claims to have connected, usually with an excellent signal. The IP i get is either blank, ie. 0.0.0.0, or it is 169.254.*.*

Is the default windows the firewall the one on the advanced settings of the connection propeties? If so, that is off.

How would i go about using a static IP?
Thanks for your patience!