Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | router problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

router problem

Old 04-10-2007, 18:14   #1
bigboab5
Inactive

Services: V+, Extra Box, XL TV Service, XL Phone Service, 20mb Broadband
bigboab5 is on a distinguished roadbigboab5 is on a distinguished road
router problem

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

OK guys, today I bought a new wireless router. Its an ASUS WL-520GC. I am NOT using it wirelessly, I am still using wires. I set it up following the instructions using the software provided, it passed everything with flying colours and told me it was set up to access the internet, But I cannot access the internet. I can see the router and the configuration pages but i cannot get onto the internet. It is doing my head in. I have shut down everything and started up in the order Modem, Router, Computer. Left computer on and started up Modem, Router, with the same result. I switched off my firewall ( zonealarm) again to no avail. Nothing i have tried has succeeded. Can anyone offer some help please?
bigboab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2007, 18:52   #2
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby
Re: router problem

What Operating system are you using?
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 18:54   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Has the router got an IP address from the modem?

Is your PC's network card, and the internet browser set to auto detect everything?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 21:31   #4
bigboab5
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybaby View Post
What Operating system are you using?
Windows XP Pro

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Has the router got an IP address from the modem?

Is your PC's network card, and the internet browser set to auto detect everything?
Well, this is where my basic knowledge of these things let me down. But i do know that my internet browser is set to auto detect. But i dont know about my network card. BUT, if this helps, I have put my old router back on, cos i can get that to work. I dunno about whether the router has an IP address from the modem, where would i find that in the config? What would I be looking for?

Oops, now checked network connections and yes network card is set to auto detect everything. But I also notice now that I have a Broadband Connection (says Disconnected and WAN Miniport (PPPOE) underneath) this is in addition to my LAN that i am using to access the internet vis my old router. I have no idea if that was there before I tried the new router. But it does seem new to me, would the New router software have put that there? Also, this is in addition to my LAN that i am using to access the internet via my old router.
Old 05-10-2007, 18:18   #5
bigboab5
Inactive

A wee update...

I emailed ASUS and got this reply

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

As for your problem, please offer me more information of the whole network infrastructure and then we may know your problem in detail and moreover, please offer me how you configure the router and what account you have set on the router.

Normally if you have set the account such as PPPOE or PPTP or else, the router should work. But the modem if you use any before the router should be a bridge mode modem. Please check that with your ISP as well for more advice. Thanks!

Now i have not got a clue about this. Is the modem a bridge mode modem ( I have an ancient Terayon) and what the hell is all this stuff about PPPOE or PPTP.... I have not a scooby!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 18:40   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

A silly question but have you plug the modem into the right socket?

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 22:17   #7
bigboab5
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
A silly question but have you plug the modem into the right socket?
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr yes.... And yes I do understand why ya asked. I have my old router back up and running just now. I just.... arrrghh I am taking it back tomorrow!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 22:28   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Just a thought what cable was you using?

I know that some modems & router don't like cross-over cables (mine had a label stating this)

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 00:05   #9
bigboab5
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Just a thought what cable was you using?

I know that some modems & router don't like cross-over cables (mine had a label stating this)
Just a normal cable, not cross over. Though it states in the manual that it automatically sorts it out no matter what cable ya use.

Just discovered something earlier, I now seem to have 2 network connections, one is the LAN that i am using just now and the other is something new (though I have not added a NIC to the computer. it is listed under "broadband connection" and is called WAN miniport (PPPOE) Disconnected.... Hmmmmm i think I have found ma problem. should I tell the computer to use this? I will give it a go tomorrow morning.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:47   #10
bigboab5
Inactive

Hi Guys,

Ok guys got it all sorted and working. And what did I have to do? I had to leave the modem off all night. Switched it on in the morning and hey presto the router seen the modem. Now why the hell is that? Even leaving it off for 3 hours prior to that did not work... Why the overnight thing?

Thanks for your help anyway guys.