Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ with 1 cable from dish?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky+ with 1 cable from dish?

Old 20-11-2006, 20:24   #1
hollerz
Inactive

hollerz is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky+ with 1 cable from dish?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting multiroom, but i'm allready using 3 out of the 4 cables coming out of the sky dish (2 for our sky+ and 1 for the neighbour as they can't get a signal anywhere on their house).

I know Sky+ needs 2 cables, one to watch and one to record a different channel. Will a Sky+ box work with just one cable? I realize I'd only be able to watch/record one channel at once though.

Thanks,
Lee
hollerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2006, 22:46   #2
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society
Re: Sky+ with 1 cable from dish?

I'm not massively au fait with Sky+ recievers, but I imagine they need one cable for the watching tuner and one for the recording tuner - they wouldn't be able to share one. Or, at least, that's how I imagine it'd work. You can't just split the cable at the box end because of the way LNBs work (different frequencies, tuning properties, etc).

You can however get LNBs with more than four outputs - dunno if Sky would fit one or not? With a quick Google, it's fairly easy to find ones that'll give you eight feeds.
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 22:48   #3
zing_deleted

you will only be able to record the channel your watching you need a twin LNB. so as said you will have to source a 8 output or similar
Old 21-11-2006, 04:10   #4
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of getting multiroom, but i'm allready using 3 out of the 4 cables coming out of the sky dish (2 for our sky+ and 1 for the neighbour as they can't get a signal anywhere on their house).

I know Sky+ needs 2 cables, one to watch and one to record a different channel. Will a Sky+ box work with just one cable? I realize I'd only be able to watch/record one channel at once though.

Thanks,
Lee
I'm confused.

Are you wanting one Sky+ and one standard box (for you) and another standard box (for the neighbour). If so then a quad-LNB (which you must have at the moment to run your neighbours and your Sky+ off) will do.

If on the other hand you want 2 Sky+ and you neighbours standard box then you 'll need one of the new octo-LNBs like we have (one standard Sky for freesat and 2 Sky+ boxes). We got Customer Relations at Sky to organise it but if they won't play ball then you can get them off EBay for about £30.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Octo-LNB-8-Out...QQcmdZViewItem
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 12:33   #5
hollerz
Inactive

hollerz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry if I was unclear. Basically I was wondering if i could have 2 sky+ boxes and one standard sky for the neighbour, but only using one cable for one of the sky+ boxes, and I thought that would enable it to work, but only record/watch one channel at a time. Obviously it won't work so will ask about the octo-LNB when I ring up!
hollerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 12:56   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You'd need an LNB with 8 Ports in that case really.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 13:10   #7
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
Hi, sorry if I was unclear. Basically I was wondering if i could have 2 sky+ boxes and one standard sky for the neighbour, but only using one cable for one of the sky+ boxes, and I thought that would enable it to work, but only record/watch one channel at a time. Obviously it won't work so will ask about the octo-LNB when I ring up!
I would also get the neighbour to pay for it since you would have been able to use a sky plus as normal if you had not leant them a port on your lnb.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 20:25   #8
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

if u are going to order it thought sky just mention to them u need a octo LNB also wen the engirneer call elso mention to him u will need a octo LNB each sky van should have 2 on board if not he should call around his team and see if any of them have any or his team coach will have 1

or u could even have another dish installed by sky