Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 11-06-2020, 17:01   #781
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

With the arrival of the All4 app is there the option to subscribe and watch it free from the unskippable ads?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2020, 17:11   #782
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
With the arrival of the All4 app is there the option to subscribe and watch it free from the unskippable ads?
I just had quick look, and the only customisation I saw was the optional sign in to help personalise recommendations.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 17:24   #783
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I just had quick look, and the only customisation I saw was the optional sign in to help personalise recommendations.
Just played one of the Bake Off episodes, and it didn't show any ads at the trigger points.

Watching the same episode on my Smart TV version of All4 did.

Not sure if that's a fluke or by design that the V6 version didn't have ads.
Old 11-06-2020, 18:46   #784
Barriescott
cf.member

Barriescott is an unknown quantity at this point

I had sky Q last year and I found there was no adverts on any of the VOD as this is a paid for service
Barriescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 00:02   #785
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post
Great to see the All4 app on V6 today. Wonder when MTV Play and the full Pluto TV app will arrive?

I hope VirginMedia add more apps such as D-Play and UKTV Play, maybe Virgin could use those app's integrated into Tivo as I'm sure there will be a lot of duplicate shows on those apps and their own OnDemand service?

I would also like to see apps like Shudder, BFI Player and Disney+
I do like everything in one place
It's not fantastic but I'd like to see Pluto TV as an app - it was promised a while ago I believe? There's some odd gems on there if you hunt for them and who can resist 'Homes Under The Hammer' 24/7
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 00:02   #786
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We feel 4Seven HD* may close on Virgin Media UK on June 22nd.

*Channel is set to close on Freeview HD on that date.
I don't see why this should be the case, it's not as if VM take their signal from DTT (I believe it's line fed).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:40   #787
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
It's not fantastic but I'd like to see Pluto TV as an app - it was promised a while ago I believe? There's some odd gems on there if you hunt for them and who can resist 'Homes Under The Hammer' 24/7
It has been announced as coming so I think it will and it's owned by Channel 5's owners as well. Pluto now has 101 channels on it so an apparent success.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:11   #788
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It has been announced as coming so I think it will and it's owned by Channel 5's owners as well. Pluto now has 101 channels on it so an apparent success.
"Channels" should be in quotes as some are basically devoted to showing a particular show continually.

And others are themed to a particular broadcaster's content for particular genres and sub-genres e.g. Channel 5 Crime Shows.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:25   #789
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

VM has issued a press release about the addition of All4 to the platform:

Virgin Media adds All 4 app to TV platform

Quote:
Virgin Media has added the All 4 app to its TV platform, available at no extra cost for customers.

The new app, which launches on Thursday 11 June, is the latest addition to Virgin Media’s ever growing library of popular TV and streaming apps. Customers can already access Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, My5, Netflix, YouTube and many other popular apps.

The launch of the All 4 app provides Virgin Media customers with the full All 4 experience for the first time, enabling them to enjoy even more programmes and on demand content than ever before.

All 4 is home to hundreds of box sets including iconic Channel 4 series as well as original and exclusive shows including US acquisitions Scrubs, Freaks and Geeks, Seinfeld and ER; featured channels such as Adult Swim and the best global drama from Walter Presents; and catch up from all of Channel 4’s broadcast channels.

A curated selection of films shown on Channel 4 and Film4 are also available to stream via the app.

Much-loved shows available to view at any time include hilarious comedies Friday Night Dinner, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Inbetweeners; reality TV from Gogglebox, Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins and Made in Chelsea; as well as popular titles such as Hollyoaks, Celebs Go Dating, The Great British Bake Off and many others.

David Bouchier, Chief Digital Entertainment Officer at Virgin Media, said:

“The addition of the All 4 app means that we now have fully integrated versions of all the major UK streaming apps on our TV platform. This is great news for our customers who have everything they need in one place, making it even faster and easier to watch the TV shows and movies they love whenever they want.”
I would question "we now have fully integrated versions of all the major UK streaming apps on our TV platform" for two reasons. In what way is All4 'fully integrated' if the content doesn't come up in Search & Discover, and why isn't Disney+ (the UK's third-largest SVOD service) considered major?
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:31   #790
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Its not on my TiVo...
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:35   #791
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

I see Sky Sport's Racing is now in HD.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:36   #792
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post

I would question "we now have fully integrated versions of all the major UK streaming apps on our TV platform" for two reasons. In what way is All4 'fully integrated' if the content doesn't come up in Search & Discover, and why isn't Disney+ (the UK's third-largest SVOD service) considered major?
It's clever wording - major UK streaming apps. The key word being UK. So the major UK streaming apps are iPlayer, ITV Player, My 5 and finally All 4. And VM now has them all. VM could conceivably classify Disney + as a US streaming app.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 12-06-2020 at 14:02.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:47   #793
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post

Agreed. Misleading statements from VM. Both the All4 and My5 Apps are not fully integrated into the Search facility on the V6. I would also class UKTV Player along with Disney+ as major tv streaming apps that are AWOL from the VM platform and also the CBS Catch Up app, which is available free on Freeview. VM is most definitely not the goto home for on demand streaming apps, and is falling further behind the other providers.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 14:26   #794
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
Its not on my TiVo...
Its only on V6 boxes l would imagine.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's clever wording - major UK streaming apps. The key word being UK. So the major UK streaming apps are iPlayer, ITV Player, My 5 and finally All 4. And VM now has them all. VM could conceivably classify Disney + as a US streaming app.
Not sure that clever wording will wash Andrew though with customers.
Old 12-06-2020, 23:28   #795
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We feel 4Seven HD* may close on Virgin Media UK on June 22nd.

*Channel is set to close on Freeview HD on that date.
The EPG has updated this evening and the schedule still continues after that date.

Fingers crossed we have another exclusive channel.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote