Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 23-06-2020, 11:31   #841
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Me too! I think VM is excellent value compared with Sky.
Quelle-surprise something we can agree on for once OB.
Old 23-06-2020, 12:25   #842
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
That's a cheap shot. I know it's a joke but this kind of comment is well wide of the mark. Does anybody actually pay more these days for VM TV than they did a few years ago? I pay less than £100 a month for the full TV and broadband and have an unlimited mobile SIM too.
VM are a joke in their own.
Old 23-06-2020, 12:29   #843
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Agreed

Quote:
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 12:30   #844
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I beg to differ all of SKY TV for me £37p/m this includes 2 mini q boxes the 1tb uhd skyq sky cinema, sports, entertainment + netflix and disney+ yes i know it's a offer but similar of vm was going to be £105p/m including bb.
BB i get from plusnet so bt sports + plusnet tv is only £15p/m in hd they threw hd in for free with bb it's £40p/m again offer so in total £77p/m.
So for me a combo of plusnet + SKY is incredible value, ofcourse i dread to think what it'd be at full price lol.

Jokes and jibes aside all companies have their plus and negative points except talktalk theirs is just negative.
I will always go for who offers me the best deal for my needs.
Old 23-06-2020, 16:48   #845
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I beg to differ all of SKY TV for me £37p/m this includes 2 mini q boxes the 1tb uhd skyq sky cinema, sports, entertainment + netflix and disney+ yes i know it's a offer but similar of vm was going to be £105p/m including bb.
BB i get from plusnet so bt sports + plusnet tv is only £15p/m in hd they threw hd in for free with bb it's £40p/m again offer so in total £77p/m.
So for me a combo of plusnet + SKY is incredible value, ofcourse i dread to think what it'd be at full price lol.

Jokes and jibes aside all companies have their plus and negative points except talktalk theirs is just negative.
I will always go for who offers me the best deal for my needs.
You can’t compare special offers on one platform with the standard price on another. The standard price for all the standard channels, BT Sport, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema and two V6 boxes, with super fast broadband and free landline calls is £99 on VM. Last time I looked, it was £130 on Sky, although that’s probably changed with the recent Sky/BT deal. Incidentally, the deal you quoted for Sky was for TV only.

Virgin do special offers, too.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 17:09   #846
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You can’t compare special offers on one platform with the standard price on another. The standard price for all the standard channels, BT Sport, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema and two V6 boxes, with super fast broadband and free landline calls is £99 on VM. Last time I looked, it was £130 on Sky, although that’s probably changed with the recent Sky/BT deal. Incidentally, the deal you quoted for Sky was for TV only.

Virgin are pretty good when it comes to cost where they fall down in our house is the TV side of things.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 18:04   #847
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

My virgin was considerably higher than £99pm until I got a substantial discount.

I cannot remember the exact amount off-hand but it is more like £120pm - still a bit cheaper than Sky.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 18:14   #848
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
My virgin was considerably higher than £99pm until I got a substantial discount.

I cannot remember the exact amount off-hand but it is more like £120pm - still a bit cheaper than Sky.
It's changed. Only £99 now as standard.
Old 23-06-2020, 18:14   #849
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:

That quoted by vm to me was apparantly "a very special offer" according to sales guy.
The total was a combination of 2 companies sky offered me BB for £25p/m but i hate site blocking as sometimes linux needs torrents to update which is perfectly legal.
Plusnet as it stands do not block hence why i chose them for BB plus i can use my own router.
Also VM are at the mercy of SKY and BT if both decide they don't want VM to have their channels (very unlikely to happen) then what would vm have to offer?
Old 23-06-2020, 18:28   #850
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Virgin are pretty good when it comes to cost where they fall down in our house is the TV side of things.
But apart from Sky Atlantic, what other channels worth watching are there? Plenty of junk channels, sure, but I would never watch them, would you?

I prefer the way you can access on demand directly rather than having to download it as you do with Sky. I also do not like the fact that you cannot record anything on the additional mini-boxes.

I'm not sure if you can bookmark programmes on Sky, but that is a very useful feature on the V6. I have about 100 films bookmarked on 'My Shows', alongside my recordings. We have been having 'film matinees' on the rainy days during the lockdown and my wife could not believe the good choice that had been accumulated. We could never have found the disk-space to record that lot!

Also, am I right to say that some channels on Sky have been downgraded to SD? I think VM may have more HD channels than Sky now.

The only thing I would complain about regarding the TV side of VM's operation is the UI, which is a bit outdated now, but that should be resolved with the introduction of Horizon 4 later this year. It's just a shame that the content of the channels has deteriorated so much in the last few years.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
That quoted by vm to me was apparantly "a very special offer" according to sales guy.
The total was a combination of 2 companies sky offered me BB for £25p/m but i hate site blocking as sometimes linux needs torrents to update which is perfectly legal.
Plusnet as it stands do not block hence why i chose them for BB plus i can use my own router.
Also VM are at the mercy of SKY and BT if both decide they don't want VM to have their channels (very unlikely to happen) then what would vm have to offer?
Well, true, but as it will not happen, it is not something to concern VM subscribers. The future is in streaming, anyway.
Old 23-06-2020, 18:34   #851
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm more referring to the user interface , Virgin Tivo is now looking dated in my opinion and it seems in some regions their network is up and down like a yo-yo.

I guess its what you get used to , we've had Sky Q since launch so using it is second nature so I'm sure many who have had tivo since launch find it the same. I guess its what suits the individual user the best.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 19:54   #852
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
But apart from Sky Atlantic, what other channels worth watching are there? Plenty of junk channels, sure, but I would never watch them, would you?

I prefer the way you can access on demand directly rather than having to download it as you do with Sky. I also do not like the fact that you cannot record anything on the additional mini-boxes.

I'm not sure if you can bookmark programmes on Sky, but that is a very useful feature on the V6. I have about 100 films bookmarked on 'My Shows', alongside my recordings. We have been having 'film matinees' on the rainy days during the lockdown and my wife could not believe the good choice that had been accumulated. We could never have found the disk-space to record that lot!

Also, am I right to say that some channels on Sky have been downgraded to SD? I think VM may have more HD channels than Sky now.

The only thing I would complain about regarding the TV side of VM's operation is the UI, which is a bit outdated now, but that should be resolved with the introduction of Horizon 4 later this year. It's just a shame that the content of the channels has deteriorated so much in the last few years.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Well, true, but as it will not happen, it is not something to concern VM subscribers. The future is in streaming, anyway.
Tbf to you i find 90% of my viewing is done via streaming, but nice to have SKY/freeview just incase something goes wrong with my bb.
Plusnets tv is delivered via bb too so that makes BT, Talktalk and plusnet online tv providers plus vodafone is apparantly launching their tv service soon too via internet.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm more referring to the user interface , Virgin Tivo is now looking dated in my opinion and it seems in some regions their network is up and down like a yo-yo.

I guess its what you get used to , we've had Sky Q since launch so using it is second nature so I'm sure many who have had tivo since launch find it the same. I guess its what suits the individual user the best.
I do like SKYQs interface.
Old 24-06-2020, 13:08   #853
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

It's taken 6 weeks to resolve, but access to Catch Up for channels such as Comedy Central, MTV and TLC for Mix TV customers has finally been restored!

Contrary to suggestions that it was working as intended, the error has now been fixed.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 13:27   #854
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Contrary to suggestions that it was working as intended, the error has now been fixed.
It was working as intended and it still is. The intention has changed.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 17:28   #855
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It was working as intended and it still is. The intention has changed.
So it was VM's intention to remove access for 6 weeks?

They sure do some strange things, but it's great to have it back.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote