Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 04-10-2013, 16:54   #691
tizmeinnit

Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Erm, 'paid for by the tax payer'?

You must be meaning me, as my employer and I pay total NI of over £700 per month....

I will be 'sitting pretty' because I have always paid between 7 and 10% of my salary into various pensions where I worked - excuse me if I don't feel too guilty about not spending everything I earn and expecting others to foot my pension bill...

So, how are you saving for your retirement?

by awaiting the hopefully long off death of my parents

as for the rest it is still one of the biggest bills that el gov and the tax coffers pay for . Like it or not
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 17:04   #692
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
what about it?

What about the growing cost as more and more people live longer and longer. As I said it is an inconvenient truth but it is still the truth.
So let me get this straight, are you saying you want those who have worked for most of there lives and put money in to be penalised and have there pension stopped or reduced whilst at the same time protecting or increasing the benefits given to those who have NEVER put any money in because they are lazy *******s that have never worked and refuse to work.

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Quote:
no no no the state pension costs 74 billion a year

Means test it
Why. If i have paid in all my life because i am not a lazy ******* that has no intention of working and has never worked why should my pension be reduced to fund the lazy *******s. I tell you what as of now i agree that anyone that can work but will not work should have every penny of there benefits stopped, i bet they get a job pretty quickly then.

It ****es me off when those who have never worked and will not work because they are lazy ***** still get given benefits. Meanwhile those who work fund the lazy ***** that will not work.

These days i suffer from bad arthritis and the Doctor said i have a case to reduce my hours or not work at all. However the tramadol i get reduces the pain so i can still work WHY because i want to work.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:15   #693
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
So let me get this straight, are you saying you want those who have worked for most of there lives and put money in to be penalised and have there pension stopped or reduced whilst at the same time protecting or increasing the benefits given to those who have NEVER put any money in because they are lazy *******s that have never worked and refuse to work.

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Why. If i have paid in all my life because i am not a lazy ******* that has no intention of working and has never worked why should my pension be reduced to fund the lazy *******s. I tell you what as of now i agree that anyone that can work but will not work should have every penny of there benefits stopped, i bet they get a job pretty quickly then.

Yes I understand a very emotive point. However I have not and did not say any of what you said there I also have not attacked the workers over this and I totally understand your point

However the country is in the crap the economy is totally screwed and all the government are doing is chipping away at a big rock of debt with a toothpick

Now you see they are clever educated people so what they have done is manipulated the workers to react just how you just have and blaming all the shirkers for the countries woes. Dude you have been appeased. You see lots in the press about cuts and cutting back on those you think are just lazy when it actually is not achieving anything

As I have said the total ESA and JSA bills together is less than the foreign aid
yet the State pension costs 6 times as much as the aid bill and it is only going to go up and the estimate is 120 billion a year in 20 or 30 years

Now if you Hugh Barney McGrew think that is sustainable by the tiny little meaningless cuts that have you slathering at the bit after the unemployed blood then you be deluded old buddy
Old 04-10-2013, 17:18   #694
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

@ Sirius: Well that's fair isn't it? I mean why shouldn't folks, who could work but choose not to or decide they want loads of kids they can't afford, just expect to be provided for by the rest of society? If people have paid tax and saved all their lives why shouldn't they have to pay a bit more to support those who would rather sit around whining all day than go out and get a job?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:20   #695
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's not achieving nothing. These are structural changes, intended, in part, to change the national attitude to benefit. Ending the culture of welfarism now will result in lower benefit bills in the longer term.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:20   #696
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
@ Sirius: Well that's fair isn't it? I mean why shouldn't folks, who could work but choose not to or decide they want loads of kids they can't afford, just expect to be provided for by the rest of society? If people have paid tax and saved all their lives why shouldn't they have to pay a bit more to support those who would rather sit around whining all day than go out and get a job?
Another one totally brainwashed by the propaganda.

The unemployed are not actually costing you that much in comparison to what other things
Old 04-10-2013, 17:23   #697
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Yes I understand a very emotive point. However I have not and did not say any of what you said there I also have not attacked the workers over this and I totally understand your point

However the country is in the crap the economy is totally screwed and all the government are doing is chipping away at a big rock of debt with a toothpick

Now you see they are clever educated people so what they have done is manipulated the workers to react just how you just have and blaming all the shirkers for the countries woes. Dude you have been appeased. You see lots in the press about cuts and cutting back on those you think are just lazy when it actually is not achieving anything

As I have said the total ESA and JSA bills together is less than the foreign aid
yet the State pension costs 6 times as much as the aid bill and it is only going to go up and the estimate is 120 billion a year in 20 or 30 years

Now if you Hugh Barney McGrew think that is sustainable by the tiny little meaningless cuts that have you slathering at the bit after the unemployed blood then you be deluded old buddy
You get no argument from me on foreign aid trust me

Old 04-10-2013, 17:23   #698
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's not achieving nothing. These are structural changes, intended, in part, to change the national attitude to benefit. Ending the culture of welfarism now will result in lower benefit bills in the longer term.
but the welfare bill will continue to rise due to more people getting state pension

I am talking about ways to get the deficit down so we are not paying billions in interest. My point on wanting the state pension means tested has nothing to do with changingpeople views on benefits

Unless we have to discuss the whole thread with all its multiple subjects all at once ? to confusing that
Old 04-10-2013, 17:34   #699
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
but the welfare bill will continue to rise due to more people getting state pension

I am talking about ways to get the deficit down so we are not paying billions in interest. My point on wanting the state pension means tested has nothing to do with changingpeople views on benefits

Unless we have to discuss the whole thread with all its multiple subjects all at once ? to confusing that
Actually pensions are a slightly different issue. While they may be a 'benefit' in the broadest sense, they're a class apart because it is more or less inevitable that you're going to get one (unless you die) and it is very, very difficult for any government to make any meaningful difference to the number of recipients or the size of the payment, due to the inevitability of old age and the need to allow for private individuals to make long-term retirement plans that take account of the likely size of the state pension. Any attempt to reform pensions would of necessity be radical.

Benefits for working age people are a different matter entirely. A lot of things can be changed with the aim of paying less money, or no money, to anyone who ought to be able to support themselves. In this area, the amount saved by, say, allowing fiscal drag to reduce the value of tax credits or JSA may be small in the immediate term, but in the longer term the expectation that these benefits will be worth less, or harder to get, will reduce the number of people who are prepared to pass over a potential job and result in a larger saving.
Old 04-10-2013, 17:35   #700
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Actually pensions are a slightly different issue. While they may be a 'benefit' in the broadest sense, they're a class apart because it is more or less inevitable that you're going to get one (unless you die) and it is very, very difficult for any government to make any meaningful difference to the number of recipients or the size of the payment, due to the inevitability of old age and the need to allow for private individuals to make long-term retirement plans that take account of the likely size of the state pension. Any attempt to reform pensions would of necessity be radical.

Benefits for working age people are a different matter entirely. A lot of things can be changed with the aim of paying less money, or no money, to anyone who ought to be able to support themselves. In this area, the amount saved by, say, allowing fiscal drag to reduce the value of tax credits or JSA may be small in the immediate term, but in the longer term the expectation that these benefits will be worth less, or harder to get, will reduce the number of people who are prepared to pass over a potential job and result in a larger saving.
still comes out of the welfare bill and the tax payers pocket due to all the funds already being long gone
Old 04-10-2013, 17:44   #701
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Of course it does. But the criteria for receiving it are totally different - so different that when politicians and journalists talk about the 'benefits bill' they customarily separate the pensions component out. IIRC a senior Tory came unstuck a few months ago by raiing against the size of the benefits bill without first discounting the portion paid as pensions.

TBH if we can manage a separate discussion of pensions that doesn't simply re-state all the same overlapping arguments that resulted in this mega-thread merge, just go ahead ... especially if you can find a recent news item to hook it on.
Old 04-10-2013, 18:15   #702
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I just heard of someone getting a 'food card' instead of normal benefjts while they being invrstigaged. Not a reliable source though so I was wondering if snyone else has heard of this?
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:25   #703
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
by awaiting the hopefully long off death of my parents

as for the rest it is still one of the biggest bills that el gov and the tax coffers pay for . Like it or not
So if I understand you correctly you want to deprive people of a pension they have contributed to all their life so that people who have contributed little or nothing get that money ,and you justify this because in your opinion they have enough .I have a modest private pension so does that mean you want to take my state pension away that I have paid all my life

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Quote:
Another one totally brainwashed by the propaganda.

The unemployed are not actually costing you that much in comparison to what other things
So bloody what,it doesn't matter what the benefits bill is ,if people can work they should .
Old 04-10-2013, 18:33   #704
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
So if I understand you correctly you want to deprive people of a pension they have contributed to all their life so that people who have contributed little or nothing get that money ,and you justify this because in your opinion they have enough .I have a modest private pension so does that mean you want to take my state pension away that I have paid all my life

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

So bloody what,it doesn't matter what the benefits bill is ,if people can work they should .
No I want to cut the deficit

Not denying that as I said I see it as a necessary step to cut the debt
Old 04-10-2013, 18:41   #705
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
No I want to cut the deficit

Not denying that as I said I see it as a necessary step to cut the debt
As i see it a necessary step to remove ALL benefits from those lazy buggers who refuse to work, have never worked because they refuse to work and will not work because they think they are owed something for nothing. I don't care if it means they get kicked out of there state funded house, it might make them work