Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | access to the net via my wireless router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

access to the net via my wireless router

Old 02-03-2007, 18:35   #1
mcpow
Inactive

mcpow is an unknown quantity at this point
access to the net via my wireless router

hi

have just set up a netgear wgt624 wireless router and my daughter was able to to connect until I changed the security from none to wpa-psk. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks
mcpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2007, 18:40   #2
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age
Re: access to the net via my wireless router

You need to configure your daugher's computer with the WPA-PSK password.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 18:42   #3
Valerie
Inactive

Services: VM 10 (well >4!) Meg via modem, M tv pack, 1 phone line
Valerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of light

well done on adding security - now you know it works! You will probably have to log into the router and all your daughter's machine to access the router - probably in advanced - wireless settings. It will want to know the pc's mac address.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:50   #4
mcpow
Inactive

I've given my daughter the password but she still can't connect. I can't get in to the router via my daughters wi fi as we can't connect to the internet.

Any other ideas - simple instructions please I'm new to the networking thing

Thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 09:49   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

What happens when you point the other PC at the login address? (Make sure the PC browser isn't set to use a proxy).
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:25   #6
mcpow
Inactive

How thick am I - I'd clicked on enable access control and left it blank. Have now taken off access control and said daughter is happily connected. Just one other thing which security is best WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK2 (TKIP or AES)

Thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 11:15   #7
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I'm guessing WPA-PSK2 is better but I haven't used either... I still use WEP...
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote