Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Has VM pulled their speedtest.net servers?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Has VM pulled their speedtest.net servers?

Old 08-04-2021, 10:06   #1
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough
Has VM pulled their speedtest.net servers?

Hi,

On speedtest.net VM us to have servers around the country, however I went to test yestarday and noticed the only one available was in Dublin.

Has VM pulled all their speedtest.net servers?
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2021, 10:39   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Has VM pulled their speedtest.net servers?

Yes - there is a thread over here about it

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...668184#M266926
Old 08-04-2021, 14:37   #3
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

They were useless in my experience anyway, I always got substantially lower results from their servers compared to other providers like structured communications or spitfire, the speeds reported by the latter mentioned were consistent with what I could get with real-world downloads.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 14:54   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Also Speedtest.net (and others) is a test to your device over both your home network and VM, so the speed could actually be fine to your Hub, and then a problem in your home network only.
Old 08-04-2021, 15:20   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

…. and,if I understand correctly, there is no longer a requirement to use an Ethernet-connected device to get the speed being delivered to the Hub as the SamKnows Realspeed test measures that:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E9E0DD36-7D56-42FD-9C1A-44BF04561B48.jpeg (285.3 KB, 36 views)
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 16:56   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Anyoneknow if the VM/SamKnows Realspeed test be available for customers using a Hub 3 and 200Mb at some point?
Old 08-04-2021, 17:47   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

It has been tested on Hub3 and will be made available. It is also the reason that the Speedtest servers have been removed.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 18:27   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
It has been tested on Hub3 and will be made available. It is also the reason that the Speedtest servers have been removed.
Thank you for the information RobboEdin, hopefully I will get some form of notice when us, errrrrr, less well endowed customers are given access.
Old 08-04-2021, 21:05   #9
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Also Speedtest.net (and others) is a test to your device over both your home network and VM, so the speed could actually be fine to your Hub, and then a problem in your home network only.
Ahh the "sells a 1gig service that can't supply 1gig to a single device" has come home to roost.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 23:43   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Ahh the "sells a 1gig service that can't supply 1gig to a single device" has come home to roost.
It's not sold as 1Gig to a single device
Old 09-04-2021, 10:26   #11
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Do we know if this is only going to be available to hubs in router mode?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:59   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes, Sam Knows needs the Hub to be in router mode as that's what it's part of.
Old 13-04-2021, 22:52   #13
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Well no point me using the samknows considering I have a mesh network for better WIFI
Old 14-04-2021, 21:54   #14
danbayliss
cf.addict

danbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nice

You can still use it to measure the speed to your hub & devices, even if you have your own mesh WiFi providing you aren't in modem mode
danbayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 22:22   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Well no point me using the samknows considering I have a mesh network for better WIFI
You can turn off the VM wifi - I use Google Mesh for wifi.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote