Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 08:21   #2041
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If you think so.
That is the documented history.

While the documented history probably isn't the whole truth, I'd argue that something like that happened because there suddenly was a long delay between updates, which happened to coincide with a massive improvement in Microsoft's security practices.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20   #2042
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

The problem i have with this build is if i right click on the desktop to bring up the context menu, this appears instantly but if i then hover over New the next menu usually takes several seconds to appear unless i have done it a few times already.
Old 08-10-2018, 17:50   #2043
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

I have encountered two problems since the update, one on PC and one on laptop.
I run Acronis True Image 2019 on my desktop and since the update just after booting up I get a pop up warning that Acronis Scheduler Service is not running, also found out that the Active Protection within Acronis was not starting automatically either.

On the laptop after booting up I get an on screen warning that 'The system needs to be restarted for Control Center Application'. Simply closing this box appears to allow the laptop to function normally.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 18:11   #2044
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

1809 officially rereleased

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 18:32   #2045
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I wonder which files it deletes this time, you first.
Old 13-11-2018, 18:39   #2046
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
none it fixed

Last edited by Dave42; 13-11-2018 at 20:19.
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 18:40   #2047
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
l will wait a while l think.
Old 15-11-2018, 21:58   #2048
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I'm having problems with windows slowing down to a crawl after a few hours of use. Sometimes i have to restart my computer twice a day to be able to carry on using it, i mean the system gets so slow it wont even load websites. Now i'm sure the problem is a memory leak, i've updated all the drivers of my hardware to the latest versions i can find and its not made any difference. I've attached 4 pictures so u can all see the memory usages before and after a restart so u can judge what maybe the issue for me as im now at a complete loss.

Thanks.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2yjrimg.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/e6og9d.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/3509n2e.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/w7h7j8.jpg
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 22:01   #2049
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm at a loss why people still continue to use Win 10 frankly given all its shortcomings (that show no sign of going away)
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 22:11   #2050
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I'm at a loss why people still continue to use Win 10 frankly given all its shortcomings (that show no sign of going away)

My machine at work is Win 10, I turn it on Monday morning, use it all day Mon -Fri, turn it off before I go home Friday evening, have been doing that with this machine last few months, and machine before that best part of two years.

I don't think I've had to reboot due to memory problems, and I often have 4 different browsers open with loads of tabs in each, Outlook, teamviewer, teams, Sql management (and SQL server), Code, Notepad++ and various other bits and bobs like Excel open during the day as I need them, and my laptop isn't anything special by today's standards, it must be a couple of years old.

if you're rebooting several times a day, what apps are you using? it may well be an extension in a browser causing problems. Try Firefox rather than Chrome.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 22:13   #2051
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I don't usually have problems with it, I've had 1 occasion where windows update stopped it booting and I suspect windows restore sometimes gets turned off without my knowledge, I'm not that keen on its theme but for me it's the fastest and best version of Windows I've used.
Old 15-11-2018, 22:40   #2052
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
My machine at work is Win 10, I turn it on Monday morning, use it all day Mon -Fri, turn it off before I go home Friday evening, have been doing that with this machine last few months, and machine before that best part of two years.

I don't think I've had to reboot due to memory problems, and I often have 4 different browsers open with loads of tabs in each, Outlook, teamviewer, teams, Sql management (and SQL server), Code, Notepad++ and various other bits and bobs like Excel open during the day as I need them, and my laptop isn't anything special by today's standards, it must be a couple of years old.

if you're rebooting several times a day, what apps are you using? it may well be an extension in a browser causing problems. Try Firefox rather than Chrome.
Im trying chrome rather than firefox as i thought it was an extension or something in firefox.

I Honestly just cant get to the bottom of it.
Old 16-11-2018, 11:39   #2053
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I'm having problems with windows slowing down to a crawl after a few hours of use. Sometimes i have to restart my computer twice a day to be able to carry on using it, i mean the system gets so slow it wont even load websites. Now i'm sure the problem is a memory leak, i've updated all the drivers of my hardware to the latest versions i can find and its not made any difference. I've attached 4 pictures so u can all see the memory usages before and after a restart so u can judge what maybe the issue for me as im now at a complete loss.

Thanks.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2yjrimg.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/e6og9d.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/3509n2e.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/w7h7j8.jpg
That is really bizarre. Not your standard memory leak. What does resource monitor look like after the problem occurs? It's not some strange virtual machine set up is it?

Can you explain which is before and after the reboot. I would also check EventViewer for evidence of disk failure.
Old 16-11-2018, 13:21   #2054
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Link 4 is after reboot, 1 and 2 are before reboot i think.

Theres no signs of any disk failures, all drives seem to work fine, its just for some reason sudden slow down which needs a reboot.
Old 16-11-2018, 13:28   #2055
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Link 4 is after reboot, 1 and 2 are before reboot i think.

Theres no signs of any disk failures, all drives seem to work fine, its just for some reason sudden slow down which needs a reboot.
Well you seem to have a great deal of memory free in "standby". which is fine. So I would perhaps check the disks. Or you have one rogue process/driver.

Last edited by downquark1; 16-11-2018 at 14:53.
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote