Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 19-05-2014, 21:12   #4441
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quite possibly. We've seen people on QAM64 as well. If 2x QAM16 is enough for my area (and I don't seem to suffer congestion), then 4x QAM64 should be good for 10:1 at the very least, I think.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2014, 21:15   #4442
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
No idea on the neighbours, Seph, I'll have to check when I get home. I can VPN in though, so the connection can't be that bad (And the ping graph has calmed down a bit, it seems)- I just can't reboot the hub (unless someone can point me to a way of doing this remotely?).

Just for completeness, here's the stats:

As you can see, everything except that particular upstream seems to check out.

I'm hoping that another reboot will get it back on, but if not then hopefully even on a single upstream I should still have a usable connection. The wife has a raid tonight, so that'll be a good test!
If you have a VPN can't you just connect to the SH over that and perform a S/W reboot?

Eeeps
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 21:23   #4443
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeps View Post
If you have a VPN can't you just connect to the SH over that and perform a S/W reboot?

Eeeps
How would I reboot it? I don't think there's an option on the web interface?
Old 19-05-2014, 21:35   #4444
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

The old activation portal would force a reboot.

And the SH2 does have a reboot option in the menu, but only in router mode. But it's likely you can still trigger it by navigating to the page while in modem mode if you had the link handy.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 22:55   #4445
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

How to reboot your modem remotely.

Go to - https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status - Scroll down to the pc icon - click on Lost internet connection - and run the test and it will restart your equipment

Capture.PNG
Old 19-05-2014, 23:12   #4446
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
How to reboot your modem remotely.

Go to - https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status - Scroll down to the pc icon - click on Lost internet connection - and run the test and it will restart your equipment

Attachment 25467
I did actually try that, but it just said nothing obvious was wrong :\
Old 20-05-2014, 00:21   #4447
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

My BB is down, fault at 10pm fix by 4pm BAH HUMBUG!
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 00:23   #4448
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I'm sure some enterprising young hacker could devise some sort of antichrist of a magic packet that'll crash and reboot the Superdud when sent to it over the tinternets.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 08:38   #4449
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I'm sure some enterprising young hacker could devise some sort of antichrist of a magic packet that'll crash and reboot the Superdud when sent to it over the tinternets.
Like some kind of backwards WOL?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:04   #4450
Kushan

If such a thing were doable, we all really would be SOL.
Old 21-05-2014, 10:24   #4451
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Like some kind of backwards WOL?
Indeed, LOL.
Old 22-05-2014, 12:39   #4452
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
.... I just can't reboot the hub (unless someone can point me to a way of doing this remotely?).....
I'm clearly missing something obvious because if you're not in RouterMode and have not enabled Remote Access then you could try using the BroadBand Diagnostic option via MyVirginMedia (Service Status sub menu's)? That can occasionally offer a remote reboot if you're Hub hasn't been rebooted for a couple of days?
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 12:40   #4453
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
I'm clearly missing something obvious because if you're not in RouterMode and have not enabled Remote Access then you could try using the BroadBand Diagnostic option via MyVirginMedia (Service Status sub menu's)? That can occasionally offer a remote reboot if you're Hub hasn't been rebooted for a couple of days?
Yes I think the obvious thing you're missing is this:

Quote:
I did actually try that, but it just said nothing obvious was wrong :\
Old 22-05-2014, 13:10   #4454
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Not sure if this is the link you guys re on about, but I find the one below tends to work for me if I can't login to the router etc

https://activation.virginmedia.com/Activation/
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 14:04   #4455
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Not sure if this is the link you guys re on about, but I find the one below tends to work for me if I can't login to the router etc

https://activation.virginmedia.com/Activation/
That is indeed an interesting alternative as the BB Diagnostic appears to use a different threshold to determine if the SH needs rebooting. Previously I assumed that forcing an activation "hit/reboot" would be identical to BB Diagnostic approach but when I tested "Activation" it not only rebooted my SH2 immediately (after it was manually rebooted 6hrs previously) but it also threw two errors (effectively saying it hadn't rebooted properly "error 96") despite having full connectivity after the attempt! Perhaps one might need to even try both methods?
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote