Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 30-09-2022, 18:50   #1366
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
It is not even nearly cold yet ya pussies hahahaha
When one has thin blood one feels the cold a lot more.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:43   #1367
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

I remember before central heating became the norm, we had ice on the inside of the windows in the winter, and we relied on parafin stoves to keep the house warm. We've got too soft.

Yesterday our energy supplier surprisingly lowered our monthly payments from £150 to £136, and we had the central heating on for the first time too.
Tinky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:49   #1368
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
I remember before central heating became the norm, we had ice on the inside of the windows in the winter, and we relied on parafin stoves to keep the house warm. We've got too soft.

Yesterday our energy supplier surprisingly lowered our monthly payments from £150 to £136, and we had the central heating on for the first time too.
We also had much higher infant mortality rates, so you know, swings/roundabouts…

I remember waking up in the 60s and early 70s (we lived in Glasgow tenements) with ice inside the windows, and having to boil water for washing as the water heating system was a gas-fired water heater on the wall that took ages to heat up - I do not wish to revisit that life, and would not want anyone else to endure it…

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ortality-rate/

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 903ADF4F-E5E8-4AFA-81DA-3E439F43B401.jpeg (60.5 KB, 40 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 01-10-2022 at 09:59.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:52   #1369
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Back in the day paraffin was about 30-50p per gallon now it's circa £12 for 4 ltrs
Old 01-10-2022, 09:58   #1370
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

So I've got a conventional boiler with a Megaflow storage tank for hot water, my timer is set to heat that tank for up to 2hrs early morning and if my central heating was on it would heat the radiators as well.

Seeing that the same gas heats the hot water as the central heating I may as well have the radiators come on too in that time period, what do you guys think as it may only use a little more gas?
Old 01-10-2022, 10:10   #1371
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I remember that as a kid, only heating apart from the paraffin stove was an open coal fire in the front room but I don't remember the house being cold.

We used our hands to melt holes in the ice on the bedroom window to see if it had snowed overnight.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:15   #1372
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I remember as a kid even though we had central heating we all took a hot water bottle to bed, I guess that was because of no double glazing or wall insulation.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:17   #1373
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
So I've got a conventional boiler with a Megaflow storage tank for hot water, my timer is set to heat that tank for up to 2hrs early morning and if my central heating was on it would heat the radiators as well.

Seeing that the same gas heats the hot water as the central heating I may as well have the radiators come on too in that time period, what do you guys think as it may only use a little more gas?
Well you can only use each unit of energy once - if you are heating rads as well as the cylinder your boiler is working harder and longer to reach target temperature. You will find that your radiators and your cylinder just take longer to get as hot as you want them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:26   #1374
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I don't know if it is a stupid question....

I only have a ground floor 1 bed flat. Our combi boiler is very good. Due to my health (and weight) I usually need it be around 23-24c. To get this up to temperature would take our boiler 20-25 mins (from around 20c). This would last 3-4 hours till it drops down to around 21-20c on a very cold winters day.

The question is would it better to just put it on when it gets to the lower temperature for 20-25mins or set the thermostat to 23c as a constant all of the time during the day?
Old 01-10-2022, 10:39   #1375
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post

I only have a ground floor 1 bed flat. Our combi boiler is very good. Due to my health (and weight) I usually need it be around 23-24c. To get this up to temperature would take our boiler 20-25 mins (from around 20c). This would last 3-4 hours till it drops down to around 21-20c on a very cold winters day.

The question is would it better to just put it on when it gets to the lower temperature for 20-25mins or set the thermostat to 23c as a constant all of the time during the day?
You'll use more energy by setting the thermostat to 23'C, but you'll be more comfortable. Depends whether you can tolerate the temperature dropping intermittently, and the faff of turning it on an off.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:40   #1376
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post

Heating is more efficient when maintaining rather than lifting temperature but to be honest the amount you’re lifting it isn’t a lot, just 3-4 degrees. It might be more effective to see if there are any measures you can take to reduce heat loss. In your circumstances you’re limited in what you can do to the fabric of the building but you can check that your external door and windows close tightly.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:42   #1377
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Heating is more efficient when maintaining rather than lifting temperature but to be honest the amount you’re lifting it isn’t a lot, just 3-4 degrees. It might be more effective to see if there are any measures you can take to reduce heat loss. In your circumstances you’re limited in what you can do to the fabric of the building but you can check that your external door and windows close tightly.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...refore%20money.

According to experts at the Energy Saving Trust, the idea it's cheaper to leave the heating on low all day is a myth. They're clear that having the heating on only when you need it is, in the long run, the best way to save energy, and therefore money
Old 01-10-2022, 10:46   #1378
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...refore%20money.

According to experts at the Energy Saving Trust, the idea it's cheaper to leave the heating on low all day is a myth. They're clear that having the heating on only when you need it is, in the long run, the best way to save energy, and therefore money
Quite correct - the boiler operates more efficiently when the temperature change is small but at the end of the day you’re still running it more; in a poorly insulated house you’re running it a *lot* more because a chunk of the heat you generate is going straight through the walls. This is why home efficiency measures like insulation and draught proofing are so important.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:10   #1379
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Expect a big announcement on Monday from Truss

Spoiler: 
about Nuclear Power
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:25   #1380
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I've pretty much done all I can to insulate our place. The bedroom doesn't get heated as much as prefer it to be a lot cooler, so I've isolated the bedroom from the rest of the flat as best as possible.

So basically, it'll cost a bit more to keep it at 23c. We're not going to freeze at 20c so can put up with a bit of a temp difference for an hour or so and can put the boiler on a timer anyway.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.