Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is supermarket fuel good enough?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is supermarket fuel good enough?

Old 25-03-2011, 21:13   #16
Fingy
Inactive

Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal
Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal
Re: Is supermarket fuel good enough?

From what I know there is very little profit in petrol, profits are from the random stuff you are tempted with in the shop.
Fingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2011, 18:51   #17
dazzer89
cf.addict

Services: VM 50meg and SKY TV HD+.
dazzer89 is on a distinguished roaddazzer89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I've been using supermarkets to get my fuel for at leat 15 years and have never had any problems.

I think it is just a ploy by the oil companies to scare you in buying from them.
Supemarket fuel is of low grade and has added bio diesel like reclaimed oil.

Get two diesel cars and run them for 10,000 miles, one on Supermarket fuel and the other on branded like Shell or Esso.

Take apart the high pressure diesel pumps and notice the damage to the one that's been running on Supermaket fuel.

I've got a Mercedes S320 CDI and I wouldn't dream of using Supermarket fuel, I'd sooner drive the extra 5 miles to get a branded fuel.

I laugh when I see the ques at the local Tesco for so-called cheap fuel @ 2p cheaper a litre than a braned fuel up the road, all they are saving is 8p per gallon, 8p's worth of petrol isn't going to get them far.
dazzer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 19:35   #18
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Dazzer, do you have any evidence to prove this?

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 21:12   #19
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Supermarket Fuel is the same as any other fuel. Tesco actually source their fuel from Esso Fuels. I'm not sure which fuel companies are used by the other supermarkets though.

Dazzer: Where do the supermarkets get their "lower grade" fuel from?

Answer: The same refineries that the branded fuel stations do. The difference with branded fuel stations is (especially BP) they rip you off. The Branded stations are just franchises, so they aren't owned by the actual fuel companies, but independent dealers who get to set their prices etc.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 21:57   #20
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

well supermarket diesel does contain a percentage of bio diesel ,i know this because it tells you the percentage on the pump ,i also know that some diesel cars/vans cannot use bio diesel but i dont know if that means 100%bio diesel or the mix that supermarkets sell

I had heard that by 2010 all diesel in the EU had to contain a percentage of bio diesel can any one confirm this
Old 27-03-2011, 22:06   #21
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Most forecourt diesels are now 7% bio. I believe that this is due to an EU ruling, although I've not been able to track the linkage down yet.

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer89 View Post
Get two diesel cars and run them for 10,000 miles, one on Supermarket fuel and the other on branded like Shell or Esso.
Funny that you've not noticed the stickers these two brands in particular have started putting on their pumps, stating that their diesel is now 7% bio.

Quote:
I've got a Mercedes S320 CDI and I wouldn't dream of using Supermarket fuel, I'd sooner drive the extra 5 miles to get a branded fuel.
A fool and his money are quickly parted ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 22:11   #22
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

The Only people i will never fill up with is ESSO and thats through personal prefernece from years ago. Years ago there were Two Esso garages in our town and my dad would obviously use the closest one and started having a lot of problems with his car and so did quite a number of people who used there start having problems. Turns out it was linked to high water content in the fuel. Not long after this Esso shut up shop on that garage and was completly demolished with nothing said by them even though there were a number of complaints.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 22:28   #23
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Most forecourt diesels are now 7% bio. I believe that this is due to an EU ruling, although I've not been able to track the linkage down yet.
here you go

yes that is percentage of FAME added to all diesel sold in the EU now regaurdless of the seller

so the answer is that basically all EU diesel is the same doesn't matter if it's shell ,texaco or morrison .Having said that there are other additives that premium brands may add to give a enhanced product that differs to other brands but they all have to meet the same minimum standard
EN590
Old 28-03-2011, 10:32   #24
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

This remind of the myth where idiots think pubs water down their beer LMAO
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 10:37   #25
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post
This remind of the myth where idiots think pubs water down their beer LMAO

I think it's one for Mythbusters

there was another myth that Ansells beer went downhill when the stopped using canal water to make their beer ,it must be true my grandad told me
Old 28-03-2011, 11:29   #26
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Only difference between sellers of petrol is additives, the petrol is the same no matter where you buy it from as for example in Manchester it'll all come from the Irlam depot.

I notice though a lot of people on here are getting confused between regular and super which is purely the octane rating.

Supermarket petrol will have less additives in it (added when it's pumped into the tanker) which may be detergents or a better lead alternative. Over a 1000 miles it won't make much difference but over 100,000 you may see a difference but then again it all depends on the state of the engine, oil used, last serviced, style of driving..etc.. but on a test bench there are noticeable results..

So in short buy cheap and there shouldn't be an issue, in fact buying cheap at a supermarket where there's high demand is likely to give you fresher petrol (it does have a shelf life) than buying from a branded garage in a smaller part of town.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 11:49   #27
dazzer89
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Dazzer, do you have any evidence to prove this?
Gee Diesel Services at Hucknall near Nottingham. Ask the owner there about Supermarket Fuel and the damage it does to high pressure diesel pumps.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:56   #28
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Unless he has performed experiments in controlled conditions, I can't see how his status as a garage servicing mechanic qualifies him to make an authoritative statement about the fuel.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 12:00   #29
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I think it's one for Mythbusters

Yeah lets give it to Adam and Jamie to investigate while Carrie dances in a skimpy bikini
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:47   #30
dazzer89
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Unless he has performed experiments in controlled conditions, I can't see how his status as a garage servicing mechanic qualifies him to make an authoritative statement about the fuel.
But these mechanics (as you call them) see the damage done to high pressure fuel pumps and turbos by supermarket fuels on a daily basis.

Gee Diesels are Delphi agents and have all the technology in their garage to monitor wear and tear on fuel pumps, turbos and injectors.

He's not a bad mechanic, he's got the contract for the Ambulance service in Nottinghamshire and is the local agent for Venson, the company who supply Nottinghamshire Police with all their vehicles.