Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A simple guide to PC ports

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

A simple guide to PC ports

Old 18-10-2005, 13:37   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
A simple guide to PC ports

I have created a simple guide to the ports on a PC. I have created a link to it on my website so that any improvements made make life easier.

Could this be made a sticky post

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.e...er%20Ports.doc
Old 18-10-2005, 18:26   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: A simple guide to PC ports

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.ewles/cf/

I've put up two versions .DOC & . PDF

The PDF's hyperlinks don't work (I used a free PDF converter via print)
Old 27-01-2006, 20:18   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I've done a minor update to the document

a link to both DOC & PDF are in my sig
Old 08-07-2008, 21:08   #4
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

just like to add, on some laptops the optical uses the same jack/socket as the headphones.
this makes the headphone socket dual purpose.
you need a mini tosslink adapter to use the S/PDIF optical.
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 15:23   #5
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

Any chance of updating this to show the sound ports - my PC seems to have 6 or 8 sockets coloured green, pink, blue etc. for microphone and/or speaker cables and I really have no idea what to plug in where.

Thx
Jac
Jacquesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 15:35   #6
zing_deleted

google majorgeeks:everest download and install then run the program and click on motherboard. Use the make and model number to track down the manual all the info you need will be there
Old 19-11-2009, 16:28   #7
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesb View Post
Any chance of updating this to show the sound ports - my PC seems to have 6 or 8 sockets coloured green, pink, blue etc. for microphone and/or speaker cables and I really have no idea what to plug in where.

Thx
Jac
Orange - Center/Subwoofer
Black - Rear Speaker Out (4/6/8 channel systems)
Grey - Side Speaker Out (8 channel systems)
Light Blue - Line In (CD player, tape player etc)
Lime - Line Out (speakers/headphones etc) or Front Speaker Out in 4/6/8 channel systems
Pink - Microphone In
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 17:04   #8
bomber_g
Inactive

Services: Lots
bomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enough

I can use the jacks for whatever I choose on my motherboard using the realtek Audio control panel thingy

It picks up on any Jacks I plug in I i just click on output / input that I want it to be - I though this was pretty common...
bomber_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 23:58   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I'll look into updating the ports doc shortly, but with christmas and job hunting will ned to come first.
Old 16-12-2009, 09:58   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber_g View Post
I can use the jacks for whatever I choose on my motherboard using the realtek Audio control panel thingy

It picks up on any Jacks I plug in I i just click on output / input that I want it to be - I though this was pretty common...
My old motherboard had this feature, my new one doesn't so it's hit and miss what you get
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 04:54   #11
tony007
Inactive

tony007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hom3r I have put it in my favourites I'me always forgetting what these ports are called.
tony007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:42   #12
zing_deleted

your missing coaxial digital out.HDMI and some ATI cards are shipping with Display port. ESATA is also missing
Old 16-03-2010, 02:06   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I'm currently updating the document, will post when I think it been done.

---------- Post added 16-03-2010 at 01:06 ---------- Previous post was 15-03-2010 at 23:34 ----------

Ok I've done a fair bit of work. (uploaded an update so far)

I have put the older ports at the bottom of the list.

I still need to a SATA info as well as USB 3.0

There will be a few more that will pop out and will get to them ASAP.
Old 16-03-2010, 11:05   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

OK guys I need help.

On the Sound card color code: section I have listed all the colours and what they do, but I would like to improve it by adding the icon that appears by each of the ports, but so far have only found two.

Can you please PM links of these icons if you find them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h.jpg (2.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 16-03-2010, 17:58   #15
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

have a look at the websites of some mobo makers you should be able to get some pictures from there boards with all names etc on them
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote