Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM EPG

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

VM EPG

Old 30-03-2018, 00:57   #1
Biffs
cf.member

Services: virginmedia through and through
Biffs is an unknown quantity at this point
VM EPG

Had a V6 installed (by me) last weekend and all's well, except I notice that the EPG for some channels (BBC4 C4 E4 More4 and the plethora of the ITVs) only shows a week ahead today and after that says 'to be announced' - so some planned recordings aren't showing either. I'll be needing to set up some more recordings for next weekend (by Monday) so does anyone know if there's an issue? I'm connected to the router by ethernet cable, and everything else seems to be listed.
Biffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2018, 04:31   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: VM EPG

There's an issue, it's not your box or anything that you've done wrong during installation.

The only way round it if it doesn't update in time is to set some manual recordings.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 08:42   #3
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

There's not an issue - it is normal.

Most of the major channels only release their schedule 8 days before the new week - so it is normal to only have schedules up to next Friday for those channels (BBC / ITV etc.)

Other channels release 3-6 weeks ahead so they'll will be complete but most likely subject to change.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:03   #4
Biffs
cf.member

Thanks for the replies - it seems they have been updated overnight. However a series link set for Fridays is now missing out next week's episode but the following week's is there - so a regular check seems to be in order.
Old 30-03-2018, 10:39   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffs View Post
However a series link set for Fridays is now missing out next week's episode but the following week's is there
What series & channel is that? If you look in Recording Hiccups, it might tell you why it is planning not to record it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:53   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Thanks for the replies - it seems they have been updated overnight. However a series link set for Fridays is now missing out next week's episode but the following week's is there - so a regular check seems to be in order.
Good Friday affecting things? Eg Gadget show on Channel 5.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 12:10   #7
Biffs
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
What series & channel is that? If you look in Recording Hiccups, it might tell you why it is planning not to record it.
Thanks - it's NCIS channel 199 Fox - Series link marked to record tonight and in a fortnight, but next week's isn't so I've had to manually set it.

It seems our recording hiccups only goes backwards ..
Old 30-03-2018, 12:30   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Thanks - it's NCIS channel 199 Fox - Series link marked to record tonight and in a fortnight, but next week's isn't so I've had to manually set it.

Looking at the EPG the 6th Apr episode isn't tagged as being a new episode. That is why it is missing.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 12:50   #9
Biffs
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Looking at the EPG the 6th Apr episode isn't tagged as being a new episode. That is why it is missing.
Ah! Great researching. Thanks. Need to watch out for that then ...
Old 30-03-2018, 15:33   #10
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The NEW flag has nothing to do with the logic of the recording of NEW programmes.

NEW recordings are based on the air date.

In any case the episode at 9pm on Friday 6th April is a repeat. The episode is actually on for the first time on 5th April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post

Last edited by ozsat; 30-03-2018 at 15:42.
Old 30-03-2018, 16:06   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
There's not an issue - it is normal.

Most of the major channels only release their schedule 8 days before the new week - so it is normal to only have schedules up to next Friday for those channels (BBC / ITV etc.)

Other channels release 3-6 weeks ahead so they'll will be complete but most likely subject to change.
Ahh right, not noticed this until recently. This also explains why I get dummy programme entries that end up in 'Recording Hiccups' because they are later replaced with the correct programming.

There's a drama on ITV that keeps being listed (Girlfriends) despite having ended. Also, on ITV3 On The Buses and George and Mildred keep appearing and then replaced. You can tell such entries are false and delete them as the synopsis is always generic.

Sometimes Viacom list Impractical Jokers for hours at a time until they have decided what to show; it's annoying as it makes you think that actual recordings have failed!

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Quote:

I've sometimes found advance recordings in 'Recording Hiccups' nearer to the scheduled time to be recorded. It's usually due to a clash that I am able to rectify.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Quote:
The NEW flag has nothing to do with the logic of the recording of NEW programmes.

In any case the episode at 9pm on Friday 6th April is a repeat. The episode is actually on for the first time on 5th April.
It took me a fair while to realise that 'New Recordings didn't necessarily mean a new programme! The fact that the EPG metadata is sometimes wrong doesn't help.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 16:20   #12
ozsat
cf.mega poster

The NEW flag is set by the broadcaster to highlight it is NEW. But it can mean NEW to a channel rather the being really NEW.

Some channels don't bother using the NEW flag at all.

Quite often ITV only release the series titles in advance - and then update the episodes later. If no episode is available then TiVo will record it in case it is one you need.

Once the episode is updated then it will drop out of the list if it doesn't match you series link settings.
Old 30-03-2018, 16:37   #13
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

There seems to be slapdash checking of the information posted in the EPG. I don't know who is responsible for the accuracy of this, Virgin Media or a third party. Looking through my 'planned programmes' folder I found that the final two episodes of the thriller Beneath the Surface - Saturday on BBC 4 - would not have recorded had I not spotted that they are wrongly labeled as episodes 5 and 6. In fact, they are episodes 7 and 8. The previous 6 episodes are already recorded. I had my preferences set as 'new only'. I corrected my preference to 'new and reruns' and set them to record even though my V6 recognized them as repeats. I would have been annoyed if I missed these.

Less critical is that the final episode of the latest series of the X-Files is wrongly labeled as 'new' on Sunday on Channel 5 when it is a repeat that has already been recorded. I don't know what the V6 would do in this kind of situation, record it or ignore it as the repeat it is.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 16:48   #14
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Beneath the Surface this weekend (31st Mar) are episodes 5 & 6. They were scheduled for last weekend but got cancelled last minute. Only 4 episodes have so far been broadcast.

Episodes 7 & 8 will be on 7th April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
There seems to be slapdash checking of the information posted in the EPG. I don't know who is responsible for the accuracy of this, Virgin Media or a third party. Looking through my 'planned programmes' folder I found that the final two episodes of the thriller Beneath the Surface - Saturday on BBC 4 - would not have recorded had I not spotted that they are wrongly labeled as episodes 5 and 6. In fact, they are episodes 7 and 8. The previous 6 episodes are already recorded. I had my preferences set as 'new only'. I corrected my preference to 'new and reruns' and set them to record even though my V6 recognized them as repeats. I would have been annoyed if I missed these.
As already said - the NEW flag is nothing to do with the recording logic. If you TiVo has already record that episode then the recording logic is it is NOT NEW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Less critical is that the final episode of the latest series of the X-Files is wrongly labeled as 'new' on Sunday on Channel 5 when it is a repeat that has already been recorded. I don't know what the V6 would do in this kind of situation, record it or ignore it as the repeat it is.
Old 30-03-2018, 18:50   #15
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I have 2 V6 boxes - I set a recording for Scarlets v La Rochelle rugby match on my downstairs box.

Just before 5.25 I thought I would start watching it, but the recording (due to start at 4.45) was not happening - still in future recordings list.

My upstairs box was recording it as expected.

I deleted the recording (which interestingly said it was recording, despite not doing so) and reset it - then it started recording ok.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote