Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 03-10-2014, 15:24   #61
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Windows Media Player can't play DVDs in Windows 8(.1) either you have to have the Pro edition with Media Center add on. But in answer to your question yes VLC will play DVDs if it runs on Windows 10
DVD playing was removed already by Windows 7 if not earlier
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2014, 17:43   #62
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

No for Windows XP you needed in codec, don't know about Vista but in 7 Windows Media Player could play DVDs from a clean install
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 18:10   #63
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

no codec needed for VLC Player.
VLC Player is the best Player. Plays everything you throw at it.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 18:42   #64
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
The TV programme was called The Prisoner and Patrick McGoonan was the main character if my memory serves me right. Ken
Correct. I was paraphrasing as there was always a new number two. As there is always a new version of Windoze.

Seems all the later versions of windows, now coming at us faster than revisions of Firefox, are seemingly downgrades of earlier versions with worse GUI's and inferior or lost features. M$ loosing the plot methinks.
Old 04-10-2014, 19:20   #65
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

My fav GUI is windows 7 atleast this doesn't look like tellytubby XP or windows 98.

I would love to put a windows 7 theme on this when I get it.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:32   #66
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
No for Windows XP you needed in codec, don't know about Vista but in 7 Windows Media Player could play DVDs from a clean install
Unless you lived in Europe and got a copy of Windows that doesn't have media player at all in a clean install...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...mpetition_case
http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2005/09/5281-2/
Old 05-10-2014, 19:06   #67
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
My fav GUI is windows 7 atleast this doesn't look like tellytubby XP or windows 98.

I would love to put a windows 7 theme on this when I get it.
You can get rid of the "tellytubby" stuff but it needs a lot of work in the registry and using GUI tweaking tools to remove the froth.

Trouble is when they bring out the next version I have to start again from scratch to weed out the crap. Tends to stop me from embracing newer versions.
Old 05-10-2014, 19:08   #68
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

If they improve the accessibility as much as they did in windows 8,then I'll be very happy with 10
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 19:18   #69
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

I like windows 8.1 on the whole. Made a lot more usable with the help of Classic Shell. The Start Screen tile crap was a big mistake.
Old 05-10-2014, 21:57   #70
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

just playing around with windows 10 tech preview dual booted it hope they leave the choice of start screen and start menu like they got in this in final version then everyone can be happy looks good so far
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:54   #71
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Will probably be pulling the hdd out of my laptop this weekend and drop a ssd in it with a copy of this on it, and see what it's like but to be honest at the moment I have not seen anything from the videos that makes me want to upgrade, to it when it's released even if it's free.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:50   #72
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

A recent update switched the start screen to the desktop in 8.1 with the tile screen now a click away, which is how it should have been from the beginning.

I hear Win-10 has got virtual desktops, it's taken them long enough....
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:28   #73
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
I hear Win-10 has got virtual desktops, it's taken them long enough....
Yeah, that - something that Windows users have had to download an 3rd party application for that other major OS's have had for many years.

Very handy feature I intend to make heavy use of, as I'm someone who typically has 20-30 windows open per PC and 2-3 remote desktop sessions going at the same time.
Old 08-10-2014, 16:34   #74
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
something that Windows users have had to download an 3rd party application for that other major OS's have had for many years.
Not always 3rd party

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...#2TC=powertoys
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../cc817881.aspx
Old 08-10-2014, 17:26   #75
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Eh, well the first (for XP) was released seven years after XP itself, and three months after you could no longer buy XP. The second (for Vista support) was released six years after Vista, and two years after you could no longer buy Windows Vista.

Sure, you could get the non-3rd party software if you were willing to use a two generations old OS ;-)