Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 13:41   #46
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Yeah, I do get that.

I suppose what I was thinking was that as the 8.1 Update is available to anyone on 8.0, and you can't even get 8.0 now if you either buy a new PC or Windows itself, then there should have been a cut off for the complaints.

But then I suppose it's the same as with Vista. In the end it wasn't as bad an OS as was made out - once the computers caught up and some tweaks were made. But the initial reputation never went away.
Old 01-10-2014, 13:56   #47
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yeah, I do get that. I suppose what I was thinking was that as the 8.1 Update is available to anyone on 8.0, and you can't even get 8.0 now if you either buy a new PC or Windows itself, then there should have been a cut off for the complaints. But then I suppose it's the same as with Vista. In the end it wasn't as bad an OS as was made out - once the computers caught up and some tweaks were made. But the initial reputation never went away.
Of course Windows 8 isn't as bad as the more fierce critics say, however it wasn't enough of an upgrade over 7 to justify the move.

My biggest gripe was forcing users who wanted to try the new Windows Store apps into the Metro interface. As a desktop PC user, I want to keep my taskbar in play, and not have to switch back and forth between interfaces when Alt-Tab or clicking the next program icon at the bottom of my screen worked just fine. Multitasking effectively went backwards in Windows 8 and outside of tablet users, I do not see any benefits to that approach.

Windows 10 looks to fix these issues, and thus bring the Windows Store to more people once it is part of the normal Windows desktop experience.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 18:51   #48
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Windows 9 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post

Nine? Nein!
Where am I?

In the village.

Who are you?

I'm the new number 10

Who is number One?

You are number six

I am not a number I'm a free man.

Ha ha ha.
Old 01-10-2014, 19:28   #49
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Windows 9 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Where am I? In the village. Who are you? I'm the new number 10 Who is number One? You are number six I am not a number I'm a free man. Ha ha ha.
The TV programme was called The Prisoner and Patrick McGoonan was the main character if my memory serves me right. Ken
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 19:49   #50
TheOriginalMrC
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo, V+
TheOriginalMrC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

And the party starts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Downloads are painfully slow.

"Back to the future"
TheOriginalMrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 23:03   #51
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I'm downloading just now. Only 12 mins to wait.

Going to install on my bootcamp partition on my Macbook Pro.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:19   #52
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Jesus, they're still building 32-bit versions of Windows after saying Windows 7 would be the last version of Windows available in 32-bit...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:38   #53
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Depends if they end up releasing a RTM as 32-bit for 'desktop' Windows though

I thought I read that the plan is that core OS is for everywhere i.e. phones / Smart TVs etc, so not all of those are or will be 64-bit. So they'll need to do some work on a 32-bit version

Plus wouldn't a 32-bit technical preview make it easier to run in Virtual machines etc for testing?
Old 02-10-2014, 19:45   #54
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

can you upgrade windows 10 Preview to OEM or Retail in the future ?
without deleting, format or re-installing everything?
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:27   #55
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Its not compatible with Bootcamp yet so have tried it running in Parallels as a virtual machine. Got the 64 bit version installed.

First impressions are that it looks really nice and runs well.
Old 02-10-2014, 21:36   #56
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Depends if they end up releasing a RTM as 32-bit for 'desktop' Windows though
If they weren't intending to release a 32-bit edition why on earth would they waste the money (nearly doubling development costs) to release a 32-bit preview?

Quote:
I thought I read that the plan is that core OS is for everywhere i.e. phones / Smart TVs etc,
That's what Windows RT and Windows Phone are for...

Quote:
so not all of those are or will be 64-bit
By the time it comes out, they probably will.

Quote:
So they'll need to do some work on a 32-bit version Plus wouldn't a 32-bit technical preview make it easier to run in Virtual machines etc for testing?
Not really, a 32-bit tech preview is as useful as a Windows 98 tech preview given the whole point is for developers to develop and test their products on it, and that isn't going to work when said products are made for an entirely different architecture...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 22:40   #57
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

windows 10 removed media player DVD and Windows Media Center. windows 10 also disables the PC’s ability to play DVDs
can you run VLC player to play DVD?
Old 02-10-2014, 22:50   #58
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Windows Media Player can't play DVDs in Windows 8(.1) either you have to have the Pro edition with Media Center add on. But in answer to your question yes VLC will play DVDs if it runs on Windows 10
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 00:28   #59
truthspeaker
cf.addict

can you make windows 10 preview permanent when OEM or Retail serial Key come out next year?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20   #60
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

No you won't be able to as there will be basically a ton of changes so you would need to do a reinstall of the release version.