Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 21:29   #1
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

With Windows 9 rumoured to be announced at the end of the month and the consumer preview following around the same time, I thought I'd start a new thread. Some screenshots and a video has been leaked of the new start menu and the ability to have store apps windowed like with 3rd party Windows 8 add ons

EnGadget Story: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/l...igned-desktop/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAsHWNRE

Personally, I don't mind the current interface but for those who hated the new start screen it does create more of a 'best of both worlds' scenario
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2014, 22:34   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Looking forward to getting the start menu back as i never use the START screen.
Old 13-09-2014, 00:05   #3
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Looking forward to getting the start menu back as i never use the START screen.
'Classic Shell'???
Old 13-09-2014, 10:13   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
It is not that important as I don't do addons like that, I just never use the start screen and think windows 8 is better than windows 7, although the theme style could be better.

I am hoping to get windows 9 on the cheap for £25 again or even free.
Old 13-09-2014, 18:46   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
With Windows 9 rumoured to be announced at the end of the month and the consumer preview following around the same time, I thought I'd start a new thread. Some screenshots and a video has been leaked of the new start menu and the ability to have store apps windowed like with 3rd party Windows 8 add ons EnGadget Story: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/l...igned-desktop/ Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAsHWNRE Personally, I don't mind the current interface but for those who hated the new start screen it does create more of a 'best of both worlds' scenario
Eh last I heard was developer preview likely later this year and consumer preview not until well into next year.

Either way actually having a normal start menu again will be a boon for enterprises. You can't imagine how effing annoying it is putting up with that tile crap on Win2012 server.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 20:07   #6
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Heard the same sort of thing as QAS said, Developer preview starting from September this year with the consumer preview coming around January or Febuary next year.

The "Start Menu" was supposed to return in August this year in what was supposed to be Windows 8 update 2, but apparently Microsoft decided to scrap it and focus on "Threshold" which is more commonly known as Windows 9, and not bringing the Start Menu back in Windows 8.X, according to rumours.

Either way I am not to fussed as most things I use are on the desktop so I never use the "Metro" interface really other, than creating a desktop shortcut for a program that didn't create one itself.

The only advantage to me for Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 though is when I am converting videos, Windows 8.1 uses all the threads and cores to around 90% compared to Windows 7 which only used each one to around 30%, regardless of what software was being used.

Games and general usage along with most other programs or benchmarks perform about the same, with some being faster on Windows 8.1 and some being faster on Windows 7, but I will stick with 8.1 as I am just use to it now and will see what the preview of Windows 9 is like when it's finally released.
Old 13-09-2014, 23:10   #7
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Eh last I heard was developer preview likely later this year
D'oh, my bad, I knew what I meant haha The only thing I used the Start Menu for in Windows 7 was the search box to launch an app, which I just do now by pressing Windows + Q
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 00:03   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Interesting - I didn't know about Win+Q. That said, like all Win key shortcuts they're not too useful when you're managing remote computers (which I do a lot - all my Win 8.x machines are remote) keyboard shortcuts are often applied to your local computer not the remote one you're trying to control. Hence, having an actual button is nice (and having a button that doesn't waste a ton of bandwidth redrawing your entire screen is nicer)

Regardless, in the corporate world Windows 8 is turning out a bit like Vista - nobody wants to upgrade to it and most companies are sticking with the previous version hoping to skip over it to whatever comes next.
Old 15-09-2014, 06:28   #9
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Windows 8.1 has a start menu.... with a button!
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 06:48   #10
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
The "Start Menu" was supposed to return in August this year in what was supposed to be Windows 8 update 2, but apparently Microsoft decided to scrap it and focus on "Threshold" which is more commonly known as Windows 9, and not bringing the Start Menu back in Windows 8.X, according to rumours.
I think another reason why the start button didn't return fully in update 2 is because doing so would have been Microsoft admitting removing it in the first place was a big mistake. OK generally we all know that anyway but companies rarely like to confess that something they decided themselves was what we wanted turned out to be wrong. MS aren't "cool" enough to do that in the way Apple is. So bringing it back in 9 is a better PR move as it takes the emphasis away from the errors of judgement they made with 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
The only advantage to me for Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 though is when I am converting videos, Windows 8.1 uses all the threads and cores to around 90% compared to Windows 7 which only used each one to around 30%, regardless of what software was being used.

Games and general usage along with most other programs or benchmarks perform about the same, with some being faster on Windows 8.1 and some being faster on Windows 7, but I will stick with 8.1 as I am just use to it now and will see what the preview of Windows 9 is like when it's finally released.
I've warmed to 8 but still prefer the look and themes of 7. It's the little things in 8 that I appreciate. Things like built-in pdf readers etc plus no need for third party stuff like Daemon Tools etc

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 09:25   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I think another reason why the start button didn't return fully in update 2 is because doing so would have been Microsoft admitting removing it in the first place was a big mistake. OK generally we all know that anyway but companies rarely like to confess that something they decided themselves was what we wanted turned out to be wrong. MS aren't "cool" enough to do that in the way Apple is. So bringing it back in 9 is a better PR move as it takes the emphasis away from the errors of judgement they made with 8.

I've warmed to 8 but still prefer the look and themes of 7. It's the little things in 8 that I appreciate. Things like built-in pdf readers etc plus no need for third party stuff like Daemon Tools etc
I didn't know it had its own PDF reader or I didn't need daemon tools, I will uninstall those to check it out.
Old 15-09-2014, 10:28   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Flipping Nora. I've had a built in PDF reader (with a few annotation tools thrown in) in Mac OSX for nearly 10 years now. What planet are you living on?

</massivelyofftopic>
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 10:54   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

Uninstalling daemon Tools seems to have broken built in iso mounting in Windows 8.1, i had managed to do it before i uninstalled it!
Old 15-09-2014, 12:12   #14
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Flipping Nora. I've had a built in PDF reader (with a few annotation tools thrown in) in Mac OSX for nearly 10 years now. What planet are you living on?

</massivelyofftopic>
They probably don't want an anti-competition suit from Adobe or the EU.

Apple is above such matters.
Old 15-09-2014, 14:05   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Windows 8.1 has a start menu.... with a button!
It's not really a menu, it's more like a full-screen eyesore.