Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Time to Spring Clean

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Time to Spring Clean

Old 12-05-2010, 01:28   #61
keepitreel
Inactive

keepitreel can only hope to improve
Re: Time to Spring Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
In control panel look for Real HD Audio Manager

Open it

Pull out a speaker plug, then plug it back in.

A pop-up should ask you what you just plugged in.

Click the right option.
are u refering to the analog popup or the speech bubble, if the analog popup does not pop up then it wont work, ive got it to work now but it doesnt resolve the problem as it made no sense as to why it stopped working!
keepitreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2010, 10:54   #62
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Did you have any drivers for the monitor installed before you re installed Windows?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 14:44   #63
keepitreel
Inactive

keepitreel can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Did you have any drivers for the monitor installed before you re installed Windows?
yes, and i dont even need them, it all works now, i havent even installed the realtek drivers and its doing what i want, ha ha, so much for all the tech guys!
keepitreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 07:15   #64
verbascum
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
verbascum is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a perfectionist, I wish I could decide how to organise my information (documents, emails, contacts etc) in a rational way like forks in the cutlery drawer etc. I used to try files within folders within folders within folders ... but so many items overlap. I would have the same document in more than one place without realising it, leading to confusion if one was changed. Tagging appeals, but difficult on my new mac. What do other people do?
Vista seemed to offer a "brantub" solution: put them anywhere and use "search" to fish for them - but too much bycatch.
any suggestions?
verbascum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 13:50   #65
Nath
Inactive

Nath is an unknown quantity at this point

A computer can be given a quick once-over with a vacuum or dust cloth but it's a good idea to give it a more thorough cleaning occasionally.
To clean a monitor, first unplug the power supply, then lightly dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth with water. Wipe the screen gently with a back-and forth motion. Wipe the display case with a non-abrasive, soft, dry cloth to pick up dust.
To clean the keyboard, turn it upside down over a wastebasket and give it a good shake. Then vacuum it with your brush attachment. To clean the keys, rub them and the surrounding with a microfibre cloth.
You can also use a can of compressed air available at camera shops.
Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 00:22   #66
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/

thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 13:38   #67
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I just did some cleaning of my registry a few days ago.....

I cleared all "Excel","lotus" and "JET" (microsoft jet) keys as i dont have any of the 3..

The reg shrunk by @ least 20k!!

I often do cleaning like this if i find something in the reg i know i dont have as every little bit helps
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:06   #68
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Cant stand all the ppl that sit there and try to tell you "IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE" and when they say that i give them this comparison..

Is your sock drawer MESSY or NICE AND NEAT?? (If its messy your not gonna find things as fast)

Tonight i just cleared 1 "yahoo!" entry from 'DEFAULT LDAP ACCOUNT'

A few years ago i had a program (Something to do with Gnome (Gnomemeeting i believe)) and that created the entry,i looked it up as i had forgotton and when i saw "GNOME" i knew what it was and removed it
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04   #69
tizmeinnit

The registry does not need scanning everytime you open an app at all because the app has settings in it that places registry entries in specific keys you do not need to scan for something when you already know where it is do you

---------- Post added at 05:04 ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 ----------

Just for point of refference here is a quote from Mark Russinovich Co Founder of Winternals and Sysinternals when asked the question, Do I need registry cleaner?

Quote:
No, even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches (ed. of the registry itself).
On Win2K Terminal Server systems, however, there is a limit on the total amount of Registry data that can be loaded and so large profile hives can limit the number of users that can be logged on simultaneously.
I haven’t and never will implement a Registry cleaner since it’s of little practical use on anything other than Win2K terminal servers and developing one that’s both safe and effective requires a huge amount of application-specific knowledge.
source http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/2...istry-cleaner/

Below is a link to some information from a guy who had an 18 year career as a programmer with Microsoft

http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_best_registry_cleaner.html

Quote:
I rarely use a registry cleaner. In fact, I've never actually felt that I've needed to use a registry cleaner. And I definitely install and play with random things on my machine on a regular basis.

Admitedly its dated but the registry is still the registry, I find it hard to find any technical website that actually endorses Reg scans
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37   #70
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Well i dont care what anyone says OFFICIALLY,i usually always notice an increase in performance after cleaning excess stuff from the reg so im my opinion THEY EITHER DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT OR ARE MISLEADING PEOPLE (Thinking they will hurt thier computer so its better telling them its not needed)
Old 10-10-2011, 14:45   #71
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Calm down dear, it's only a placebo effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well i dont care what anyone says OFFICIALLY,i usually always notice an increase in performance after cleaning excess stuff from the reg so im my opinion THEY EITHER DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT OR ARE MISLEADING PEOPLE (Thinking they will hurt thier computer so its better telling them its not needed)
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 16:20   #72
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I think it also depends upon the application, when I originally put the OS on this computer and then Office 2000. Word would launch in about 1 second, now a few years and lots of applications later it now takes 10 seconds plus. This has to be inefficient registry scanning by Word to find it's components.

By contrast self contained apps, often written in GPL, make little or no use of the registry and their launch times are unaffected.

IIRC the latest versions of Windows now makes much less use of registry entries in favour of config files with the app in it's own directory. Going back to the original .ini files.
fragmented hard drive, bloated running processes,bloated temp files cache files and precached files, higher impacted page file. All other reasons a pc slows after time which all would be more likely to effect the opening of an application than reading the registry entires off a tiny database file

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
yeah the 2 guys who I quoted really look like they may not know what they are talking about lmao
Old 11-10-2011, 04:35   #73
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy
IIRC the latest versions of Windows now makes much less use of registry entries in favour of config files with the app in it's own directory. Going back to the original .ini files.
Ya i have some stuff on my OS that work like that. (Win98se)

I think thats a BETTER WAY to do it,why bog down a main settings file (registry) when the program can have its own INI,etc files and not need the reg @ all??

I mean all the stuff needed for your OS like monitor settings,etc could be contained in individual files that loaded @ boot. (Same way the reg does)

Im not sure though which way is better but i do know I MUCH PREFER STANDALONE APPS! (Apps with nothing in the reg)
Old 11-10-2011, 21:46   #74
tizmeinnit

searching the reg for keywords is one thing. Point is you are searching for something you do not know where to find it hence the need for a search. The applications know where it is so it does not need to search,

Dudes sock drawer even if it was messy he knows where the draw is so he can go straight to it. If his wife told him she had hidden the socks but they are neat go look for them it will take time to find them
Old 12-10-2011, 01:20   #75
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Never marry a woman who messes with your socks.

Back on topic. Registry cleaners are pointless. End of.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote