Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Time to Spring Clean

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Time to Spring Clean

Old 16-10-2006, 22:16   #31
zing_deleted

Re: Time to Spring Clean

If it works but really you should investigate why its getting hot, what are yoru temps?
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2006, 23:33   #32
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbnmu View Post
Do u guys reckon that if i leave one panel out it would reduce the overall heat by dispersing the trapped air?
Thats wat i have done to my PC.
Maybe not, the fans are designed to drag air through a route, taking a side off will change those airflow dynamics. Bit like putting a bigger hose on a hoover, it will pick up less stuff.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 00:26   #33
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
If it works but really you should investigate why its getting hot, what are yoru temps?
To be honest, i have no idea what the temp is! One of the blades in the fan thats cools the chipset broke. Ever since i leave one panel out,just in case....

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Maybe not, the fans are designed to drag air through a route, taking a side off will change those airflow dynamics. Bit like putting a bigger hose on a hoover, it will pick up less stuff.
Thats a good point! Didn't realy think of that!
vbnmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 00:31   #34
zing_deleted

well most machines ive seen thats had a cooling problem has seen benefits from the removal of the side of the case side.A good few of the problems with overheating are caused by poor air flow so removing the side gives an instant vent
Old 17-10-2006, 00:47   #35
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Also a good contact with the cpu to the heatsink helps.

Before my upgrade my AMD64 3000 at it's stock clock speed of 1.8ghz, on its socket 939 motherboard, would sit at about 50c without load and touch 60c when under load.

This I took as normal, during the upgrade we removed the heatsink which was thermally connected via a heatpad, we cleaned this off and used Artic Silver paste, this now has made my cpu sit about 40c without load and barely touch 55c when under heavy load.

Of which I am very happy about.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 12:10   #36
thepcwizard
Inactive

Services: Shared with "Sirpingalot" - 10mb/s Vm broadband, Freeview. Xbox 360 Live
thepcwizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OinkyBoinky View Post
lol... i'm not the only dodgey person that bought one of these then...
i have got one of those things.
thepcwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 17:29   #37
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

Be careful when touching a motherboard, any static can botch the system right up.
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 03:20   #38
Alien
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, V+, VM 10Mb
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
On a fan-related note- how do you stop them going noisy after time- I clean the dust out of mine regularly and the bloody things got so noisy I had to buy some new ones...
Don't buy fans with sleeve bearings. When they are new they can be quiet, possibly more so than ones with ball bearings, but they tend to have a much shorter lifespan than fans with ball bearings, & when the bearings go they get MUCH louder. As to how to quieten them, as a temporary fix you could try peeling the label off of the centre of the fan [if it has 1 on each side, run your finger nail over them & look for a dip/hole in the middle], & putting a few drops of oil [WD40 will do in a pinch, but 3-in-1 would be better] into that hole. It's worked for me in the past, but there's always the chance it could go wrong for you, so it's up to you whether you want to do that or just buy a better fan.

I've had 1 of these running 24/7 for over 2 years in my case & it's just as quiet now as it was when I got it. The only reason I don't have another in the front of my case is, as mentioned in another thread, I needed something a bit more powerful to overcome the reduction in flow caused by the dust filter. They do other sizes of those fans as well, in case you need something different [60, 70, 80, & 92].

You could also use some acoustic insulation. I've not actually tried that method of sound reduction as with my air conditioning on in the same room it would be a bit silly to go all out for silence, & besides I'm so used to having the sound of my PC on 24/7 it's a rather weird feeling when the sound is absent [due to powercuts or during hardware upgrades].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You can get new mounts now that absorb some of the vibration, don't know how effective they are though
Overclockers
Will have to scroll to the bottom of the page for one set of mounts though
They work, or at least the ones I've got do [look for the clear ones on the site I linked above, by the same make as the fan], but you have to make sure that the fan is completely isolated from the case - if the side of the screw thread happens to touch the side of the hole in the case that it passes through then it negates the advatage of using the vibration dampeners.
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 17:02   #39
crazymaniac
Inactive

Services: VM Cable TV, Phone and 2MB Broadband
crazymaniac is on a distinguished roadcrazymaniac is on a distinguished road

Good guide, Anti-static isn't really worth it.

Unless you do a lot of computer work for a computer repairing company etc.
crazymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 18:07   #40
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymaniac View Post
Good guide, Anti-static isn't really worth it.

Unless you do a lot of computer work for a computer repairing company etc.
you could not be more wrong mate. If you search the forums ive argued this point and given plenty of evidence
Old 08-03-2008, 19:18   #41
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice

Yes an Anti static wristrap is definately recommended, static charge can be transferred without you even feeling it.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 19:46   #42
zing_deleted

and it can do damage without you knowing it. It can damage performance and longevity of the hardware also. Anyone who does not take precations are not worth their salt in IT and should leave well alone for those who want to do a proper job like it or lump it
Old 08-03-2008, 19:48   #43
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
and it can do damage without you knowing it. It can damage performance and longevity of the hardware also. Anyone who does not take precations are not worth their salt in IT and should leave well alone for those who want to do a proper job like it or lump it
Actually, I'd have to disagree with you there, 'cos it generates work for us that DO know what we're doing and do a proper job
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 23:23   #44
zing_deleted

lol I spose lol
Old 02-05-2008, 15:15   #45
GoldenBoar
Inactive

GoldenBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

People are still actually using ZoneAlarm? It's been overbloated garbage for about the last 5 years. Ever heard of Comodo?
GoldenBoar is offline   Reply With Quote