Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Time to Spring Clean

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Time to Spring Clean

Old 04-03-2005, 11:03   #16
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Time to Spring Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
Pure water is actually a weak electrolyte believe it or not!
Certainly not enough to create a good earth bond. This is why bathroom / kitchen pipes are all common earth bonded with a thick earth cable.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2005, 12:54   #17
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Ok, lets leave water aside for the moment and get back to the main topic.
If you have any more tips and tricks for your PC spring clean, post them here.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 15:31   #18
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Quote:
Pure water is actually a weak electrolyte believe it or not!
Certainly not enough to create a good earth bond. This is why bathroom / kitchen pipes are all common earth bonded with a thick earth cable.
But they won't be pure water, and the equilibrium for water ionisation is 10^(-14) in favour of the pure water!

Anyway let's not take this too OT...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 16:15   #19
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I was helping out one of my Dad's friends at the weekend and noticed a few things that I'd mention in this thread for other people to bare in mind.

Fans:

I was checking his machine and saw the temperatures were really high. Turned out one of his fans wasnt working. I always find it a good idea to take your side panel off at times and just make sure all your fans are spinning properly.

The PC was in this cabinet where the PC was pushed right to the back.
There is really no point in having many fans in your machine if there is no air space round your PC. You need room for it to breath.

Old 11-03-2005, 16:30   #20
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
I was helping out one of my Dad's friends at the weekend and noticed a few things that I'd mention in this thread for other people to bare in mind.

Fans:

I was checking his machine and saw the temperatures were really high. Turned out one of his fans wasnt working. I always find it a good idea to take your side panel off at times and just make sure all your fans are spinning properly.

The PC was in this cabinet where the PC was pushed right to the back.
There is really no point in having many fans in your machine if there is no air space round your PC. You need room for it to breath.
I open our pc's up at least once every 2-3 months to clean the trapped dirt/ dust out of it and to make sure the fans are running and are actually clean. A dirty fan is an unbalanced one and it won't spin properly It's also a good idea to make sure the grills on the power supply unit are clean and any air vent slots are clear.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 16:57   #21
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

On a fan-related note- how do you stop them going noisy after time- I clean the dust out of mine regularly and the bloody things got so noisy I had to buy some new ones...

With my PC on most of the time, this is kinda problem sitting near a jet engine!

Old 11-03-2005, 16:59   #22
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
On a fan-related note- how do you stop them going noisy after time- I clean the dust out of mine regularly and the bloody things got so noisy I had to buy some new ones...

With my PC on most of the time, this is kinda problem sitting near a jet engine!
Could always buy large diameter fans and a fan speed control unit so you can turn down the revs when you want a bit of peace and quiet
Old 11-03-2005, 17:43   #23
nffc
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:

Could always buy large diameter fans and a fan speed control unit so you can turn down the revs when you want a bit of peace and quiet
New ones do- and copious amounts of LEDs but I don't want to have to buy new fans all the time.

Tried compressed air, wiping teh dust off with fans/dusters, etc etc- but still no effect.

And the new fans, three of them, marked low noise, are actually 20 dB [each] on teh lowest setting so definitely not w00t. Oh dear.

Old 11-03-2005, 17:56   #24
Paul K
Inactive

You can get new mounts now that absorb some of the vibration, don't know how effective they are though
Overclockers
Will have to scroll to the bottom of the page for one set of mounts though
Old 11-03-2005, 17:59   #25
nffc
cf.mega poster

Yeah I've got them, they're not very good and in fact, quieter without them.

It's just the motor noise not dirt or resonance or anything.

Anyway I was more curious about how to shut older fans up after you've tried cleaning with compressed air and they still sound like a 747.

Old 11-10-2006, 00:00   #26
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

You gotta be kiddin me right ?

I just wish I took some pics after the builders had finished !

Here's my PC it should give u n idea of what it was like 4 months back....

These are *relatively* clean as I had to blow off most of the thick sh** as the PC's were overheating when I moved back in.

What you see on the components is a layer(was previously much thicker than what u see) of sanded wood / plaster which covered every damn component in the house.

So whenever you're ready you're welcome to come along and spring clean this

My missus has the right idea and dare not move back until everything is spik n spam.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 00:07   #27
Halcyon
Hello !

Crikey that is dusty !!!

You are definately right in saying that it pumps up the temperature.
I did mine just before the temperatures were getting hotter in the summer.
I cut my temperatures down by about 10 degrees just cleaning up the dust.

It takes a while but it is worth it.
I use cotton wool ear buds to clean inside the fans. You often think they are clean but the fan blades are covered in sticky dust.

Old 11-10-2006, 00:17   #28
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Crikey that is dusty !!!

You are definately right in saying that it pumps up the temperature.
I did mine just before the temperatures were getting hotter in the summer.
I cut my temperatures down by about 10 degrees just cleaning up the dust.

It takes a while but it is worth it.
I use cotton wool ear buds to clean inside the fans. You often think they are clean but the fan blades are covered in sticky dust.
Got cans of dust off here will be doing that soon but theres too much equipment to go through so I have been putting it off fortunately the filestores were dismantled and moved to the inlaws before the work started they would have been dead as my filestores do not have a case (too many disks)
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 20:19   #29
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

CrC just put the vacuum cleaner on it gently..... done it myself a couple of times and it works alright/.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 21:41   #30
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them

Do u guys reckon that if i leave one panel out it would reduce the overall heat by dispersing the trapped air?
Thats wat i have done to my PC.
vbnmu is offline   Reply With Quote