Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 17-05-2018, 21:26   #2011
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I don't need games and M?S Office is not critical but I am photoshop user..
Personally I couldn't live without MS Access, it's database heaven
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2018, 00:01   #2012
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Personally I couldn't live without MS Access, it's database heaven
There's actually nothing that Microsoft has that I couldn't do without except for W7 run in a VM on linux to use photoshop.
I fully understand other users have different requirementss/neeeds than I do and respect that.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:31   #2013
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Personally I think they should have taken a leaf from the Linux book and allow updated to run in without all those reboots. This would have been a big change to the gubbins and how libraries work but not necessarily how code is written, just how it's built.

Then have the libraries and applications separate so, like Linux you don't have to have quite so much crud installed with every app. But that would be harder as dev's would need to ensure compatibility.
Not quite true as a reboot is required if you want to take advantage of any kernel updates. These days I feel I get kernel updates on a fairly frequent basis.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:56   #2014
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I get kernel updates on rolling distros but not on my main ones.

And you don't need to reboot if kernel is updated, only to use the new kernel. Most days the updates are almost invisible except I am setup to run them. Also unlike Windows you can choose which updates to accept and you can lock certain items to prevent updates.
Old 21-05-2018, 16:10   #2015
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I get kernel updates on rolling distros but not on my main ones.

And you don't need to reboot if kernel is updated, only to use the new kernel. Most days the updates are almost invisible except I am setup to run them. Also unlike Windows you can choose which updates to accept and you can lock certain items to prevent updates.
The point of kernel updates is to use them! If you want all the security they offer plus all the microcode updates that Intel and AMD are pushing out to solve the Spectre and Meltdown (and other) issues, then a reboot will be necessary.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 17:09   #2016
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Spectre V2 mitigation leads to a huge slowdown on one of my Linux's (OpenSuse Tumbleweed). It starts OK and I can start to play video (Netflix, Amazon) but after a while it gets really sluggish and the HD light stays lit. Machine becomes unusable, I have to switch to a console and kill Firefox processes.

But lots of distro's don't just push all kernel updates out. But the point still remains that most updates in Linux don't require an reboot or even logout/in. Kernel updates do require a reboot but you can keep on working and when you do reboot you don't have to wait hours while patches are applied, then have multiple reboots after that as you do with Windows. Nothing more annoying that shutting down and wanting to go home to be told that Windows is apply fixes and not to turn off.
Old 07-06-2018, 14:58   #2017
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Bit of a disaster this morning, the main desktop PC is running fine but the laptop has more or less frozen.

Takes forever to boot up then nothing will run correctly, trying to open any program takes several minutes or longer. Tried to open Task Manager to see if there was anything in there, that took ages to open but when it eventually did there was nothing obviously maxing out the CPU.

I tried to run Malwarebytes but that stalled for five minutes checking for updates before I cancelled it.

Is it possible to roll back this update?
After having a new router changed last week I had a few problems with the home network due to my desktop running Win 10 v1803 without Homegroup and my wife's laptop that was rolled back to v1709 due to the problems above.

Finally bit the bullet and did a manual install of v1803 on the laptop and up to now it seems to be fine without any of the massive freeze ups that happened the last time.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 12:15   #2018
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Why is Win 10 V1803 telling me I haven't got a firewall on whether in Windows or Kaspersky? Kaspersky is telling me it has a firewall running. If it wasn't for the ridiculous prices Apple charge I would seriously consider changing.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 23:33   #2019
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

windows 10 October update 2018 now available

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...oad/windows10/

Last edited by Dave42; 02-10-2018 at 23:37.
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 00:10   #2020
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

What does the update include?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:08   #2021
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Is it going to be called Windows 10 forever?
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:10   #2022
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Another exciting opportunity to brick your PC.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:12   #2023
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

not me, I'me going to hold onto my 8.1 forever (well util support completely ends, then I'll see if MS have got a grip ad if not go to one of the Linux's.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:11   #2024
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Anyone done the update yet and has it bricked their machine? cos im not gonna be the first lol.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:42   #2025
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Anyone done the update yet and has it bricked their machine? cos im not gonna be the first lol.
I did it, no problems.