Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Euro 2020

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Euro 2020

Old 15-07-2021, 08:46   #136
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Taking the knee, bans from social media, campaigns in the media etc, I can't imagine any situation where a racist will see all that and have a change of heart. As has been said previously it will only make them more determined.
It might encourage others to challenge them, instead of quietly standing by. If racists see they are in the minority they soon become cowards. They 'don't like it up them' as Corporal Jones said.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2021, 08:52   #137
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

And you think “challenging them” will change their minds? Seriously, you don’t really believe that?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 09:23   #138
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And you think “challenging them” will change their minds? Seriously, you don’t really believe that?
It might, give them pause to refect. It's all about peer pressure in football crowds. If you're the only one booing when players take the knee and everyone is looking daggers at you...
Doing nothing certainly won't change anything, so best to at least try?
Old 15-07-2021, 09:33   #139
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Ok, you’re serious. You think these racist are the types to “reflect” on their behaviour?

And given that so many of them represent the hooligan element do you also think they care if others are staring daggers at them? Honestly?

I’ve never said we should do nothing but equally that doesn’t mean we should try just anything.

All the measures and gestures I’ve seen so far merely serve to move the problem elsewhere. And the problem with that is it’ll never go away. It’s like 2 people saying do each other “you’re wrong” “no, you’re wrong”.

It solves nothing.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 15-07-2021, 09:54   #140
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Ok, you’re serious. You think these racist are the types to “reflect” on their behaviour?

And given that so many of them represent the hooligan element do you also think they care if others are staring daggers at them? Honestly?

I’ve never said we should do nothing but equally that doesn’t mean we should try just anything.

All the measures and gestures I’ve seen so far merely serve to move the problem elsewhere. And the problem with that is it’ll never go away. It’s like 2 people saying do each other “you’re wrong” “no, you’re wrong”.

It solves nothing.
Got us talking about the issue though hasn't it? That's a start.
Old 15-07-2021, 09:57   #141
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Erm….has society not been talking about racism in football for 40 years or more?

Has it been reduced in any way? I’d love to see some evidence.

All just empty gesture. Doing things for the sake of being to say “we’ve done something”, nothing more.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 15-07-2021, 10:00   #142
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Erm….has society not been talking about racism in football for 40 years or more?

Has it been reduced in any way? I’d love to see some evidence.

All just empty gesture. Doing things for the sake of being to say “we’ve done something”, nothing more.
So how are you going to solve the issue?
Old 15-07-2021, 10:15   #143
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So how are you going to solve the issue?
It’s isn’t up to me to solve the issue. All I know is it’s clear that all we’ve had so far is gestures.

Again don’t get me wrong, we should never give up the fight against this racism. It just needs to be tackled smarter, not harder.

The anti-racism groups seem to think that all they have to do is get their message across powerfully enough and it’s going to make the abusers see the error of their ways. Spectacular level of naivety.

They also seem to think that shutting the racists down, banning and cancelling them will also do the same. Whist I agree that we should have to see, read or hear racist abuse that doesn’t tackle the problem either. As previously mentioned, Katie Hopkins and Trump both got booted off Twitter, they’re now on Parler.

I may not have the answer but that does exclude me from pointing out when methods don’t work.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 15-07-2021, 11:32   #144
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

A start would be a deterrence that if caught then the punishment is severe enough to make it matter and not just a slap on the wrist. A prison sentence or a crazy high fine like £10k+ would be a start.
Old 15-07-2021, 11:35   #145
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
It’s isn’t up to me to solve the issue. All I know is it’s clear that all we’ve had so far is gestures.

Again don’t get me wrong, we should never give up the fight against this racism. It just needs to be tackled smarter, not harder.

The anti-racism groups seem to think that all they have to do is get their message across powerfully enough and it’s going to make the abusers see the error of their ways. Spectacular level of naivety.

They also seem to think that shutting the racists down, banning and cancelling them will also do the same. Whist I agree that we should have to see, read or hear racist abuse that doesn’t tackle the problem either. As previously mentioned, Katie Hopkins and Trump both got booted off Twitter, they’re now on Parler.

I may not have the answer but that does exclude me from pointing out when methods don’t work.
Not making any gesture, suggests we're happy with the status quo. The events of the last week and the abuse certain England footballers got prove we have a bigger issue than ever and we shouldn't run away or ignore it.

(btw never heard of Parler, doesn't sound as though I'd like it ! )

Some new that will probably not please you:-
Quote:
Great Britain's women's football squad will take the knee before their games at the Tokyo Olympic Games this month.

Earlier this month, it was announced rules around athletes protesting at Tokyo 2020 had been relaxed by the International Olympic Committee.

Team GB head coach Hege Riise said the squad "were all united" in their decision to make the gesture.

"We are glad that the IOC have acknowledged the importance of this form of freedom of expression."

Players in the women's and men's game have been taking the knee to highlight racial injustice.

She added: "We were all united in our decision to continue doing whatever we can to raise awareness of racism and discrimination in all its forms, standing in unity and solidarity with all those whose lives are affected.

"We are clear that taking the knee is an important symbol of peaceful protest against discrimination, injustice and inequality in society."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57846090
Old 15-07-2021, 11:43   #146
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Not making any gesture, suggests we're happy with the status quo. The events of the last week and the abuse certain England footballers got prove we have a bigger issue than ever and we shouldn't run away or ignore it.

(btw never heard of Parler, doesn't sound as though I'd like it ! )

Some new that will probably not please you:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57846090
Read my posts again, I’ve not said to not take any action.

Why would that “not please” me?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 15-07-2021, 12:20   #147
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s isn’t up to me to solve the issue. <snip>
But it is, it's on all of us to fight against racism

Your position leads to 'First they came....'
Old 15-07-2021, 12:22   #148
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
But it is, it's on all of us to fight against racism

Your position leads to 'First they came....'
In which case the question should have been “What should WE do” rather than how would I solve it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 15-07-2021, 12:34   #149
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
So what you're saying is it is okay for one side to use divisive gestures but no ok to boo them doing the gestures and by the way, it doesn't make a boo'er racist because these gestures will not stop racists being racist. People are probably booing because they don't want politics in sport.

England players have set the ball very high now for equal rights and social acceptance of varying aspects of ones life, however, in next years World Cup, what they going to do in Qatar, where being gay is illegal?
as much as i hate to admit it you're absolutely right with regards to the WC next year.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Exactly the point.
Making silly jestures is not going after anyone
They are exactly that, pointless and silly jestures.
I tune into [or attend] football matches to watch football, not watch stupid jestures.
Go and delete your social media accounts if you want to protest about the abuse on them.

---------- Post added at 03:54 ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 ----------

Again, not related, apples/oranges .. but just to be clear, I would consider jestures at a football match against rape to be just as silly and pointless, its not the fault of football that rape or racism exist.

Here's a thought, if you don't want to watch 'stupid gestures' at football, then don't go to the match.
Old 15-07-2021, 12:44   #150
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Speaking out is the only way to change anything.By not challenging the man down the pub with their racist tirades you basically let them think everyone agrees with them.Keeping silent changes nothing. What people think I can't change.However I can change what people say out loud by challenging them when they say it and write for all to see.

Keeping quiet shouldn't be an option if we really want change.