Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Akamai Cache Congestion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hub 3 to ASUS A C1900

Old 10-10-2022, 19:01   #1
millydog
cf.member

millydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Hub 3 to ASUS A C1900

Hi, can anyone help me put my SHUB 3 to modem mode to enable my ASUS AC1900 as the main router . i did try but got a red light on the super hub 3 is that right ? does that mean its in modem mode.

Many Thanks
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2022, 20:01   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Hub 3 to ASUS A C1900

once set to modem mode shut down hub, connect to routers wan with the router off. Boot the hub wait for it to finish then boot the router.
Old 10-10-2022, 21:08   #3
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

If the Hub light is 'Pink' (mine always did look Red) - You're on the right track. This indicates modem-mode.

Boot up the modem, give it 5mins for good measure, then power on your router.

(Any) port on the rear of the Hub into the WAN/Internet port on the Asus

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 16:58   #4
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Funny enough, I've always done it in reverse to the advice above. i.e. have the Router up and running before powering up the Hub. :-)
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 23:23   #5
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
Funny enough, I've always done it in reverse to the advice above. i.e. have the Router up and running before powering up the Hub. :-)
Absolutely. This is how it should be done so that the Hub finds the router in a state of grace. The Hub boots up in modem mode and needs to know what to do - like provide an IP address to something. So, ideally, the router should be ready & waiting.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 23:33   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Absolutely. This is how it should be done so that the Hub finds the router in a state of grace. The Hub boots up in modem mode and needs to know what to do - like provide an IP address to something. So, ideally, the router should be ready & waiting.
Now I know you know your stuff but on this I seriously do not think you are correct.

If the router is on it can not set up as it has it has no connection to the outside world all you will see is local addresses and not external IP. It needs this to set itself up. With the modem up the IP is all set up to itself ready to send a signal down the wan. When you power up the router it finds the wan signal and sets itself up.

I did have a good search on this and pretty much every link I could find agrees with me. Also when I set up my Mesh system the instructions with that was my way too

End of the day it will likely work both ways as tech has moved on a lot since I first set up a network
Old 20-10-2022, 23:39   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I googled what you said and all the links I found say the opposite, Modem first then Router.

So either the internet's all wrong or you're.

At the end of the day we all have an opinion.

Edit

Jay beat me to it!
Old 20-10-2022, 23:49   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

To ye doubters: I am not wrong. I did not say the other way round would not work. Sometimes it does, indeed often. Many a problem reported in this forum has been solved by my recommendation.

When a powered on router is sitting there waiting, the DHCP server is looking for the WAN port to be active. When the Hub is turned on, it handshakes with the CMTS and obtains an IP address. With DHCP off in the Hub, the sddress is passed to the router’s waiting DHCP server.

That sequence will always work.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 23:58   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:

To ye doubters: I am not wrong. I did not say the other way round would not work. Sometimes it does, indeed often. Many a problem reported in this forum has been solved by my recommendation.

When a powered on router is sitting there waiting, the DHCP server is looking for the WAN port to be active. When the Hub is turned on, it handshakes with the CMTS and obtains an IP address. With DHCP off in the Hub, the sddress is passed to the router’s waiting DHCP server.

That sequence will always work.

as will the one recommended by everyone else