Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 13-09-2014, 19:05   #2206
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

That's just plain old bullying...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2014, 19:18   #2207
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My granddad was born in Glasgow and grew up next to the Clyde in Edinburgh.

He would have branded Salmond a traitor, whose head should be on a spike in the Tower of London.
Old 13-09-2014, 20:01   #2208
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Was he born during the floods?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 20:31   #2209
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Several retailers have come out and said that their products may become more expensive in an independent Scotland.

However, the chief executive of Wetherspoon's has said it might make beer prices cheaper.

Alistair Darling might as well take next week off, it's all over.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 20:49   #2210
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

It is unlikely that alcohol would be cheaper, as Scotland has imposed its own extra alcohol levy.
Link
Quote:
This is despite the fact that they face higher distribution costs in Scotland, as well as a public health levy on selling alcohol and tobacco (which is due to end in 2015).
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 21:01   #2211
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Stephen, WHY is it that Scots living abroad can vote, according to our local council. But my wife cannot.

My wife is proud to be a Scot, and l think its shameful, that she cannot express her view on her country.

I am part of the UNITED KINGDOM, and l hope that Scots stay as they are. When l was up in Scotland 38 years ago, and first met my wife. The people of Scotland are the nicest people that l have met. I loved going to the Old Firm games.

And this is what makes Scotland great - keep it as it is.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 21:15   #2212
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Stephen, WHY is it that Scots living abroad can vote, according to our local council. But my wife cannot. My wife is proud to be a Scot, and l think its shameful, that she cannot express her view on her country. I am part of the UNITED KINGDOM, and l hope that Scots stay as they are. When l was up in Scotland 38 years ago, and first met my wife. The people of Scotland are the nicest people that l have met. I loved going to the Old Firm games. And this is what makes Scotland great - keep it as it is.
Only certain people who live abroad. Link
Quote:
Service personnel posted outside of Scotland along with their spouse or civil partner and any 16 or 17 year old children may also vote in the referendum if they are registered to vote in Scotland.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 23:10   #2213
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Just like my dad that was born in Liverpool and grew up next to the Mersey in Newcastle.
Old 13-09-2014, 23:54   #2214
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Just like my dad that was born in Liverpool and grew up next to the Mersey in Newcastle.
Geometry was never his strong point
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 15:16   #2215
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Stephen, WHY is it that Scots living abroad can vote, according to our local council. But my wife cannot. My wife is proud to be a Scot, and l think its shameful, that she cannot express her view on her country. I am part of the UNITED KINGDOM, and l hope that Scots stay as they are. When l was up in Scotland 38 years ago, and first met my wife. The people of Scotland are the nicest people that l have met. I loved going to the Old Firm games. And this is what makes Scotland great - keep it as it is.
Its only armed forces personel and their partners and only as long as they are registered to vote in the UK.
Old 14-09-2014, 18:48   #2216
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

As we stand at the cusp of a decision of monumental proportions, I can only echo the words of The Lord of the Rings King Théoden of Rohan who wondered "How has it come to this?"

How indeed. I hope Scots YES voters are not doing so because of some nationalistic dislike of the English. If they are, then Scots ought to know there are many regions outside London, but within England itself, who feel The City has abandoned them.

If there is a really good reason to remain united, it is to fight for parity and equality throughout the United Kingdom; starting with The City realising its mistake in forgetting that it exists because of the people of all of the UK, not despite them.

I hope Scotland remains in the UK; I can't imagine being without its people.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 19:01   #2217
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
I hope Scotland remains in the UK; I can't imagine being without its people.
While I feel it to be no closer than the Irish.

I don't generally express indifference as there's little point but in this case I honestly couldn't care less whether Scotland stays or goes.

If anything I would prefer them to go as they appear to want the social democrat way of life without the tax bill that goes with it. Much of the rest of the country is neglected and perhaps the likely cost savings to many businesses and indeed government would be spread between us.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 19:04   #2218
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
As we stand at the cusp of a decision of monumental proportions, I can only echo the words of The Lord of the Rings King Théoden of Rohan who wondered "How has it come to this?" How indeed. I hope Scots YES voters are not doing so because of some nationalistic dislike of the English. If they are, then Scots ought to know there are many regions outside London, but within England itself, who feel The City has abandoned them. If there is a really good reason to remain united, it is to fight for parity and equality throughout the United Kingdom; starting with The City realising its mistake in forgetting that it exists because of the people of all of the UK, not despite them. I hope Scotland remains in the UK; I can't imagine being without its people.
As far as I can tell. Most of them seem to have a dislike for the Tories and also seem to feel hard done by from 'Westminster'

I can see no other reason. We already control a lot in Scotland like the NHS, Education and Police just to name a few.
Old 14-09-2014, 19:11   #2219
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
As far as I can tell. Most of them seem to have a dislike for the Tories and also seem to feel hard done by from 'Westminster'

I can see no other reason. We already control a lot in Scotland like the NHS, Education and Police just to name a few.
If Scotland aren't happy about austerity there is always the option via the Scotland Act of 2012 to raise taxes as of 2015 on some and 2016 on income tax in order to counteract it.

Not sure that'd be a big referendum or vote winner though.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 19:38   #2220
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
If anything I would prefer them to go as they appear to want the social democrat way of life without the tax bill that goes with it.
As a Welshman I am concerned that a Scottish Yes vote will boost the idiotic Welsh Nationalists towards an independent Wales vote. I'm sure there are many Scottish people worried about the possibility of a Yes vote as there are in Wales.

I appreciate that the money generated in the UK comes mainly from the South East and it subsidises Wales, Welsh Labour are very adept at wasting other peoples money, and they are very much 'Old Labour'. I am under no illusions that an Independent Wales would be run by a Labour government and what the outcome of that would be.

I know that my taxes as a working person would have to rise considerably to cover the funding shortfall from England and the increase spending on the health service and civil servant jobs in general. (Wales are very good at creating civil servant jobs)

I believe the argument for Wales to be independent is the same as Scotland, and I'm happy to keep taking money from England to be honest.