Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming using powerlines

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Streaming using powerlines

Old 17-02-2018, 17:12   #16
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Streaming using powerlines

If the AE has a green light then it is already correctly configured. If it shows an orange light, then you need to set the NETWORK /ROUTER MODE setting to DHCP+NAT.

So the next diagnostic stage - that the technician should have checked - are your power/noise stats. So we might as well have a look.

On the login page of the Hub 3, please click CHECK ROUTER STATUS.

Then copy/paste the following into your reply:

Downstream
Upstream
Network Log

Don't worry about the formatting if it looks naff. There may be an obvious explanation for the internet dropping.

The Powerlines drop because the Internet (VM circuit) drops.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2018, 17:51   #17
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks I am so grateful for your help!

The green light is showing on the router, so that seems to be configured correctly.

Here are the screenshots from the router status.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 16.45.44.png (242.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 16.45.30.png (131.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 16.45.06.png (189.7 KB, 10 views)
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:00   #18
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Upstream power looks high and you should have more than one channel ?
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:07   #19
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterLyn View Post
Thanks I am so grateful for your help!

The green light is showing on the router, so that seems to be configured correctly.

Here are the screenshots from the router status.
Please copy & paste the stats so that the whole data can be seen.

Old 17-02-2018, 19:50   #20
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Please copy & paste the stats so that the whole data can be seen.
Sorry about that, didn't realise you needed all of them. Thanks once again. It will only let me upload 8 files and I have 9 so will post one separately for you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.25.29.png (141.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.25.42.png (132.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.25.57.png (38.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.29.59.png (66.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.33.06.png (166.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.33.21.png (185.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.33.34.png (180.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.33.46.png (184.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 17-02-2018, 19:51   #21
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Last file. I did go into town to see about getting a better router as I thought maybe mine might be a bit old but wasn't sure if I would be wasting my money so didn't get one!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 18.34.01.png (204.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 17-02-2018, 20:21   #22
Sephiroth
Simples

There are two things wrong in order of priority:

1/
Your upstream is flapping (that means dropping and coming back). The evidence is the 57 dBmv power level, which is the point at which the circuit resets. That is the cause of loss of service. Furthermore, you are only provisioned with 1 upstream when there should be 2 or more. It is impossible for your circuit to hold up.

2/
Less important but nevertheless noteworthy - your downstream frequencies are incorrectly sloped. This won't mean anything to you, but the power levels at the lower frequencies should be higher than the power levels at the higher frequencies. It prolly isn't harmful given your upstream problem, but it is not how VM intend the downstream amplifier settings in the street cabinet to be.

The technician should have checked that all out. Is there an attenuator attached to the rear of your hub? If so what is the value in dB stamped on it?

Do any of your neighbours have this problem? I would expect so.

Old 17-02-2018, 20:44   #23
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

I'm not sure if any of our close neighbours have VM, I know our immediate neighbour is with Sky, our house is the last house in the road and between us and the next road is where the street cabinet is, there is a house close to that but I can't remember who they are with but I can go and ask.

I had a look at the back of the hub, there is a metal thing in the rear if that is what an attenuator is, I'll attach a pic in case it's not the right part! There is nothing else that I can see at the back.

I'll go and knock on a few neighbour's doors and see if anyone else is having any issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2018-02-17 19.43.03.jpg (49.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 17-02-2018, 20:57   #24
Sephiroth
Simples

No - that's not an attenuator - just the coax connector. Your circuit (at the weekends) is in a dire state imo.

Old 17-02-2018, 21:31   #25
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
No - that's not an attenuator - just the coax connector. Your circuit (at the weekends) is in a dire state imo.
I can only assume that we don't have an attenuator at the rear then as I checked everything that I could see and didn't see anything else.

I did go and knock on the neighbours house that is just around the corner and they had a V6 box installed about a month ago and he told me that for the first couple of weeks they had issues but it's okay now, although he did say he doesn't really keep a close eye on when his connection drops, so probably wasn't much help.

What would you suggest I do now, phone up CS and ask them to send another engineer out
Old 17-02-2018, 22:00   #26
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Yes, you need that upstream to be below 51
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 22:09   #27
Sephiroth
Simples

... and you need more than one of them.

Yes a call would seem necessary, but at the weekend you're likely to be talking to a chocolate teapot. All they'll do is send another tech who might be as useless as the last.

It would be best to post the problem (and your evidence) on the Virgin Media Forum site (community.virginmedia.com) and a few days later a competent person will try and sort things out for you. Their process will still require a tech to attend before networks can be called into this, but the file notes will contain your evidence.

Let us have a link to your VM Forum thread.

Old 18-02-2018, 12:01   #28
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
... and you need more than one of them.

Yes a call would seem necessary, but at the weekend you're likely to be talking to a chocolate teapot. All they'll do is send another tech who might be as useless as the last.

It would be best to post the problem (and your evidence) on the Virgin Media Forum site (community.virginmedia.com) and a few days later a competent person will try and sort things out for you. Their process will still require a tech to attend before networks can be called into this, but the file notes will contain your evidence.

Let us have a link to your VM Forum thread.
Thanks so much for all your help, it really is appreciated.

I will go now and post on the VM forum and post a link to it here

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

I have just posted on the VM forum, should have read it a bit more thoroughly before posting as did make a typo or two, but here is a link to it

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...654317#M174107

Last edited by AlabasterLyn; 18-02-2018 at 12:01.