Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet failure

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Internet failure

Old 16-02-2018, 21:18   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Internet failure

For the past couple of hours our internet connection has been down more than up.

Nothing in the Shub2ac log, up and down levels all fine, and all the right lights are on.

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2018, 21:27   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Internet failure

Ring VM? It's free !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 22:17   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I have been, and am on hold with them again now.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Indian say internet not work in this area.

Monday at least to get an engineer out. :-(

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Down detector outage map for VM is just huge, red splodges this evening.

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/virgin-media/map/

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Max 10mbps DL on speedtest, but UL fails each time.
Old 16-02-2018, 22:31   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I have been, and am on hold with them again now.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Indian say internet not work in this area.

Monday at least to get an engineer out. :-(

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Down detector outage map for VM is just huge, red splodges this evening.

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/virgin-media/map/

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Max 10mbps DL on speedtest, but UL fails each time.
The interweb is over rated anyway. Get out, have a walk and in the Sun, and see the spring bulbs emerging
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 22:46   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The interweb is over rated anyway. Get out, have a walk and in the Sun, and see the spring bulbs emerging
Mr Irony called for you, but apparently you were busy on the Internet...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 12:09   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

The BQM graph tells the story better than words

And when a connection is there it's not 200mbps but under 10mbps. Speedtest can't even get an upload response.
Old 17-02-2018, 13:15   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I would keep an eye on power levels, sounds like there is a problem with noise on the upstream.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 16:34   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The BQM graph tells the story better than words

And when a connection is there it's not 200mbps but under 10mbps. Speedtest can't even get an upload response.

You have a big problem there i hope they get it fixed soon for you!
Old 17-02-2018, 17:24   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I would keep an eye on power levels, sounds like there is a problem with noise on the upstream.
It was upstream noise that used to have the same effect every time I switched the Shub 2ac on. But they sorted that when we were moved to 8DL and4 UL.

The BQM graph is starting to look like a macaw's plumage...

Old 17-02-2018, 17:27   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It was upstream noise that used to have the same effect every time I switched the Shub 2ac on. But they sorted that when we were moved to 8DL and4 UL.

The BQM graph is starting to look like a macaw's plumage...

I would expect you to have virtually no internet with all those dropped packets at the top.
Old 17-02-2018, 17:58   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I would expect you to have virtually no internet with all those dropped packets at the top.
A few seconds at a time, it's like swimming in treacle....

No VM techs in the evenings or weekends now?
Old 17-02-2018, 20:43   #12
Taf
cf.mega poster

A neighbour came to our door asking if I could fix his PC. I just did a BQM test and it was the same as mine. So he called to report the fault. "Monday fix hopefully".

His immediate neighbour saw me and said he was unable to get on Facebook. Quick BQM run, and it was the same. So he called 150. "Fixed next week".

I crossed the road and asked the owner if he was having internet problems. Yes, So I told him to call 150.

Less than an hour later the fault disappeared. Bumped up in level somewhere so that they actually decided to do something?

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Only half speed DL at the moment though...
Old 17-02-2018, 20:45   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Taf i gave up on downloading at full speed on Virgin a long time ago without a download manager.

I bought internet download manager and get around 51mb/s at full speed and without the download manager im lucky to get 25mb/s.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 15:18   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
A neighbour came to our door asking if I could fix his PC. I just did a BQM test and it was the same as mine. So he called to report the fault. "Monday fix hopefully".

His immediate neighbour saw me and said he was unable to get on Facebook. Quick BQM run, and it was the same. So he called 150. "Fixed next week".

I crossed the road and asked the owner if he was having internet problems. Yes, So I told him to call 150.

Less than an hour later the fault disappeared. Bumped up in level somewhere so that they actually decided to do something?
yeah, the problem is that when one person rings they think the fault is just with you so they will send a tech out to fix it and they rely on him to escalate it to networks if needs be. If loads of people ring up in a short time period they pick up on it, escalate it to networks themselves and it gets fixed pronto. This is the problem I always have when my connection goes down. No matter what you say they don't want to listen to you and your just pray that other people are ringing up as well so it gets fixed asap. They don't always deal with things in the most efficient manner.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 21:46   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

How do you get that graph?