Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 18:03   #3406
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Or you could ask (maybe using the 'Five Whys') why the EU has taken such a strong line on the arbitration mechanisms.

Of course, the ECJ issue is somewhat clouded by the fact that part of the UK will be under the jurisdiction of the ECJ regardless of what happens at the end of the year
I think you've made a strong point (that could have been made by Andrew and the Ianch) - if it's good enough for NI, then it might as well apply to the whole UK.

But the English and Welsh Leavers won't have that - they don't see there being the same or similar circumstances that merit adherence to ECJ jurisdiction. And neither do I.

NI and the Republic will unite in due course, I'm sure.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2020, 18:29   #3407
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Why do you never explain things through UK eyes? It comes across as apologising for the EU without understanding that the UK cannot accept ecj jurisdiction. Why not criticise the EU for its stance?
You asked for an explanation of the facts which I supplied. It helps to be dispassionate when explaining such matters.
As you know, Boris is accepting ECJ jurisdiction due to the NI situation. Why not get the best deal possible by accepting it more widely so we can finish these talks and leave the EU smoothly?

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Quote:
I think you've made a strong point (that could have been made by Andrew and the Ianch) - if it's good enough for NI, then it might as well apply to the whole UK.

But the English and Welsh Leavers won't have that - they don't see there being the same or similar circumstances that merit adherence to ECJ jurisdiction. And neither do I.

NI and the Republic will unite in due course, I'm sure.

It's not about pandering to a particular subset of referendum participants. It's about getting a good deal for a divided country during a pandemic.
Old 10-08-2020, 19:17   #3408
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You asked for an explanation of the facts which I supplied. It helps to be dispassionate when explaining such matters.
As you know, Boris is accepting ECJ jurisdiction due to the NI situation. Why not get the best deal possible by accepting it more widely so we can finish these talks and leave the EU smoothly?

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

It's not about pandering to a particular subset of referendum participants. It's about getting a good deal for a divided country during a pandemic.
It's about getting the right deal, respecting the wishes of the majority voters.

Old 10-08-2020, 19:23   #3409
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's about getting the right deal, respecting the wishes of the majority voters.
Projecting your own beliefs onto 52% of referendum participants may be reassuring emotionally but is flawed intellectually.
Old 10-08-2020, 19:34   #3410
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Projecting your own beliefs onto 52% of referendum participants may be reassuring emotionally but is flawed intellectually.
That it can't be. You obviously feel that the Guvmin must swallow its current instinct and do the sums to reach a different decision.

Trouble is that 52% + the overspill from the GE do not want the ECJ to have jurisdiction over us. With the EU having similar crippling problems to the UK as a result of CV, it seems to me that this is the best moment to plough our own furrow as we'll not get anything out of the alternative.

Old 10-08-2020, 20:05   #3411
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That it can't be. You obviously feel that the Guvmin must swallow its current instinct and do the sums to reach a different decision.

Trouble is that 52% + the overspill from the GE do not want the ECJ to have jurisdiction over us. With the EU having similar crippling problems to the UK as a result of CV, it seems to me that this is the best moment to plough our own furrow as we'll not get anything out of the alternative.
The Government should get the closest deal possible to ensure that in these troubled times, the recession is not far longer and far deeper than it could be.

I'm not sure how ploughing our own fallow and global supply chains work together.

But if ploughing our own fallow is anything like the way we've handled the coronavirus situation (non-tendered deals to cronies for bad equipment, track and trace not working effectively, worst Covid figures in Europe.) then you need to think through such an approach.
Old 10-08-2020, 20:14   #3412
Sephiroth
Simples

I'll leave it at that to avoid going round in circles. Needless to say, we are actually far apart on this matter.

I'll cheer you up in a minor way, though. I'd have been content to remain in the EU although I wholly dislike their direction of travel. Reason for that is the UK hasn't travelled backwards whilst in the EU.

Now that we're out, maybe some travelling backwards, but we'll move forward because we have to.

Old 10-08-2020, 20:51   #3413
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'll leave it at that to avoid going round in circles. Needless to say, we are actually far apart on this matter.

I'll cheer you up in a minor way, though. I'd have been content to remain in the EU although I wholly dislike their direction of travel. Reason for that is the UK hasn't travelled backwards whilst in the EU.

Now that we're out, maybe some travelling backwards, but we'll move forward because we have to.

We had opt-out for greater integration, which I wasn't keen on either. The greater integration that is, not the opt-out.

I'll leave that one area of agreement there too and also add that I have one major gripe with the EU/EEC - they did not permit us to join earlier.
Old 10-08-2020, 21:05   #3414
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
We had opt-out for greater integration, which I wasn't keen on either. The greater integration that is, not the opt-out.

I'll leave that one area of agreement there too and also add that I have one major gripe with the EU/EEC - they did not permit us to join earlier.
Ah - something worth talking about!

If CdG had allowed us to join earlier, one of our prime ministers would still have been screwed over by France who always wanted to protect their crazy farm system subsidised by the CAP.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...te-517769.html

Old 10-08-2020, 21:23   #3415
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

A compelling read as ever from you two.
Old 10-08-2020, 23:54   #3416
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Gen. De Gaulle’s time in the U.K. during the war was well spent. As well as rallying French resistance to German occupation, he came to know us better than many of us know ourselves. He was absolutely right that the British outlook and temperament made us unsuitable for membership. The fact that we have mounted the only serious attempt to escape the EU in its history - and succeeded - is testament to that.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:45   #3417
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Is Brexit still going on? Well there's a surprise. Thought it was all straightforward, and deals with other countries easy peasy. Even the Brexiteers are now dissing the deal they all voted for. Reality is a cruel mistress.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:55   #3418
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Is Brexit still going on? Well there's a surprise. Thought it was all straightforward, and deals with other countries easy peasy. Even the Brexiteers are now dissing the deal they all voted for. Reality is a cruel mistress.
I understand the point you are making. But reaslly that is an exposé of the EU's intention to punish the UK for its decision tto leave the EU.

Of course it's not quite as pat as that. You are right, DD did explain that it should be 'easy peasy' to get a sensible trade deal - and so it should have been because we leave the EU in a fully aligned state. But he was taken in by his own mission and did not, in his public utterances, consider how difficult the EU would be. He should have known that and should have said so at the time.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:01   #3419
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I understand the point you are making. But reaslly that is an exposé of the EU's intention to punish the UK for its decision tto leave the EU.

Of course it's not quite as pat as that. You are right, DD did explain that it should be 'easy peasy' to get a sensible trade deal - and so it should have been because we leave the EU in a fully aligned state. But he was taken in by his own mission and did not, in his public utterances, consider how difficult the EU would be. He should have known that and should have said so at the time.

Don’t forget that IDS felt the same, and spoke passionately in the HoC about how MPs didn’t need any more time to scrutinise the WA as it had had had plenty of time to be reviewed in depth, and it should just be signed off...

(Apparently he has now discovered some "fine print" he didn’t know about before...)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:28   #3420
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Don’t forget that IDS felt the same, and spoke passionately in the HoC about how MPs didn’t need any more time to scrutinise the WA as it had had had plenty of time to be reviewed in depth, and it should just be signed off...

(Apparently he has now discovered some "fine print" he didn’t know about before...)
Frankly, I think IDS should do one. The financial terms as I understand them seem perfectly reasonable to me.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...al-settlement/

Quote:
Broadly speaking, the financial settlement can be split into three components:

During the transition period, until the end of 2020, the UK will pay into the EU budget almost as if it were a Member State. The UK will also receive funding from EU programmes – such as structural funding.

EU annual budgets commit to some future spending without making payments to recipients at the time. The commitments will become payments in the future. The UK will contribute towards the EU’s outstanding commitments as at 31 December 2020. Recipients in the UK will also receive funding for outstanding commitments made to them.

The UK will share the cost of EU liabilities that exist at the end of 2020, and any materialising contingent liabilities (potential liabilities that may occur depending on the outcome of an uncertain event in the future) entered into before its withdrawal, and will receive back a share of some assets. The pensions of EU staff are likely to be the most significant liabilities for the UK, while the most significant item being returned to the UK is the capital it paid into the European Investment Bank.

Closed Thread