Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 10-08-2020, 19:29   #9841
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If the punters are happy, that's all that matters. It's all about trade-offs.

Frankly, I cannot understand why you think this is a bad thing. The Amazon footie seems to have gone pretty well. I guess that's because the football fans are not particularly interested in the jfman economic theory. Thank God for choice!
Are the punters happy? Would the punters be happy? Your crystal ball gazing knows no bounds here, Old Boy.

You've once again speculated, however not evidenced, that the often hypothesised streaming future brings lower costs to the end user for Premiership football.

The fact you've got DAZN, a company with more liabilities than assets, outbidding Sky for the rights under no basis whatsoever means we can safely file most of your posts from today in the fiction section and return from time to time for entertainment value only.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2020, 20:12   #9842
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Are the punters happy? Would the punters be happy? Your crystal ball gazing knows no bounds here, Old Boy.

You've once again speculated, however not evidenced, that the often hypothesised streaming future brings lower costs to the end user for Premiership football.

The fact you've got DAZN, a company with more liabilities than assets, outbidding Sky for the rights under no basis whatsoever means we can safely file most of your posts from today in the fiction section and return from time to time for entertainment value only.
I know jfman. It's crazy, isn't it?

Have you seen the Netflix figures? That company will never fly, will it?

DAZN? I'm sure it is dead in the water.

Any more economic predictions you can entertain us wth before we gst back to reality?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 20:21   #9843
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I know jfman. It's crazy, isn't it?

Have you seen the Netflix figures? That company will never fly, will it?

DAZN? I'm sure it is dead in the water.

Any more economic predictions you can entertain us wth before we gst back to reality?
You are beyond parody, Old Boy. There used to be a vague semblance of something interesting in these posts, merely as a thought experiment more than anything else.

I'll continue to await the calculation on how a streamer raises and turns a profit on £5bn for Premiership football rights. I'm sure you'll tell me these people are geniuses, of course, but it was Sky who correctly predicted that none of them would enter the market for the first round of bids in 2019-22 and that the rights would go down in value.

What changes in 2022-25, other than the recession? If BT are right that the value of rights falls what makes Sky with it's customer base in place from day 1 less well placed than a streamer?
Old 10-08-2020, 20:23   #9844
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Er - what is the problem? They bid for the rights and they pay more for them than Sky is willing to put up. Once in the market, Sky may or may not bid in the future - they have already confirmed they will not pay silly money to retain them.

Once out of the picture, the streaming services will fight amongst themselves. What will this do for prices charged to punters? Well, we will see, but I believe that certainly Amazon, with the advantage of its retail arm, will have tricks up its sleeve to keep prices lower than at present.

That will drive subscribers towards Amazon, forcing their competitors to offer similar lower prices. That will reduce the bids for Premiership rights. This may take a few years to play out, but I am convinced that the ultimate impact will be favourable for subscribers.
You keep talking about streamers without actually figuring out that many of these are actually owned by the very companies your trying to kill off. Sky's parent company (Comcast) already has Now TV , Peacock and NBC Sports streaming services. Sky already have many other Sporting rights quite a lot of key ones something DAZN does not in the UK no way does DAZN spend anything like what the current rights are at in my opinion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 20:28   #9845
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You keep talking about streamers without actually figuring out that many of these are actually owned by the very companies your trying to kill off. Sky's parent company (Comcast) already has Now TV , Peacock , NBC Sports streaming service. Sky already have many other Sporting rights quite a lot of key ones something DAZN does not in the UK.
This has been lost on Old Boy since the start. It's easier for Sky, as the incumbent rights holder, to move into streaming when there is market demand for them to do so than someone else out of the blue to outbid them and then develop an offering.

Now TV do a football season pass for about £200 give or take. I find it hard to imagine anyone else can raise £5bn at that price point. You can reverse engineer the figure as you please.

A further thought on the Premier League themselves selling direct to customers they might decide against in the event that we end up with more dead rubber closed door games in future seasons. A huge risk to take on retailing that directly.
Old 10-08-2020, 20:29   #9846
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
You are beyond parody, Old Boy. There used to be a vague semblance of something interesting in these posts, merely as a thought experiment more than anything else.

I'll continue to await the calculation on how a streamer raises and turns a profit on £5bn for Premiership football rights. I'm sure you'll tell me these people are geniuses, of course, but it was Sky who correctly predicted that none of them would enter the market for the first round of bids in 2019-22 and that the rights would go down in value.

What changes in 2022-25, other than the recession? If BT are right that the value of rights falls what makes Sky with it's customer base in place from day 1 less well placed than a streamer?
It is difficult to fault your logic. The fly in the ointment may be EPL selling rights directly to customers.

Many years ago, the thought was that you would be able to buy a season ticket to watch your favourite clubs matches (home and away).

This never got off the ground - I suspect because they didn't have the tech to do it.

Now the streamers have shown you can stream games live all you need is a method of getting payment. advertising the new service would be cheap as they can do it mid game throughout the season - preparing people for the next season.

This would blow the streamers out of the water as the content wouldn't be available.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 20:37   #9847
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
It is difficult to fault your logic. The fly in the ointment may be EPL selling rights directly to customers.

Many years ago, the thought was that you would be able to buy a season ticket to watch your favourite clubs matches (home and away).

This never got off the ground - I suspect because they didn't have the tech to do it.

Now the streamers have shown you can stream games live all you need is a method of getting payment. advertising the new service would be cheap as they can do it mid game throughout the season - preparing people for the next season.

This would blow the streamers out of the water as the content wouldn't be available.
I'd say it's more likely that the league would resort to retailing directly than someone comes from nowhere to take on the risk.

Season tickets for clubs would be interesting - and a genuinely new offering so has the potential to attract more customers - although the 3pm blackout (which I profoundly disagree with) remains the problem, but with so few Premiership games actually taking place then would it really be an issue to move the 'main' kick off time to 1pm or a Sunday?

The way to league could test demand would be to offer the rest of the games over and above the main contract TV games on their own service for a 3 year period before seeking to take full control themselves.

The issue for the League is that while such an offering has potential - the contracts with existing TV companies are no risk money in their hands.
Old 10-08-2020, 20:50   #9848
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You are beyond parody, Old Boy. There used to be a vague semblance of somd into ething interesting in these posts, merely as a thought experiment more than anything else.

I could explain the reasoning, jfman, but the problem is that you are not listening. So why bother going to any lengths to explain to someone who appears to be brainwashed into believing that any alternative opinion to yours must be vanquished at all costs?

SVOD and streaming IS the future, no matter what you believe and no matter what you say. Most people, I am pretty sure, agree with that.
Old 10-08-2020, 21:08   #9849
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I could explain the reasoning, jfman, but the problem is that you are not listening. So why bother going to any lengths to explain to someone who appears to be brainwashed into believing that any alternative opinion to yours must be vanquished at all costs?

SVOD and streaming IS the future, no matter what you believe and no matter what you say. Most people, I am pretty sure, agree with that.
Straw man alert.

It’s you that says linear will cease to exist - I’ve never claimed that streaming won’t be (or isn’t) popular in its own right.

No calculations that don’t involve a billionaire philanthropist then?
Old 11-08-2020, 15:04   #9850
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

OB, not sure why you are posting the streaming mantra in this thread - especially as by your own admission you do not like sports.

We read enough of this in other threads!
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 16:12   #9851
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
OB, not sure why you are posting the streaming mantra in this thread - especially as by your own admission you do not like sports.

We read enough of this in other threads!
See my post #9833. I posted a news item on what the BT's Head of Sports said about sports rights. It was those who find the future I have described elsewhere difficult to contemplate that have been shouting the odds about streaming, raising the same old issues yet again.
Old 11-08-2020, 17:03   #9852
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Do you also have a girlfriend in Canada, who no one's ever seen, but she's real, honestly?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 17:09   #9853
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Do you also have a girlfriend in Canada, who no one's ever seen, but she's real, honestly?
No - in Thailand, actually
Old 11-08-2020, 17:18   #9854
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Shouldn't that post be in the Current Affairs forum.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 18:25   #9855
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
See my post #9833. I posted a news item on what the BT's Head of Sports said about sports rights. It was those who find the future I have described elsewhere difficult to contemplate that have been shouting the odds about streaming, raising the same old issues yet again.
Except he only stipulated that the Premiership could sell a service direct to consumers. At no point did he say that it would happen, or that it wouldn't be platform neutral. I'm sure even you'd accept that linear broadcasting is cheap compared to the £1.5bn a year they'd be looking to get from people who are primarily Sky subscribers.

You are at the front of the queue to say how much easier it is to have everything on one box. Why would someone exclude a Sky Q box? If they were going to make the service available from 2022 why would they not make it available in Ultra HD to everyone?

Last edited by jfman; 11-08-2020 at 18:29.