Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 04-01-2012, 14:24   #121
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
Thanks for the summary. I always manage to miss the beginning of shows so this is very useful.
No problem , think I may give that Luck a watch , there seems some ok shows coming on Atlantic this year.

You can use the never miss service to be reminded when a show starts , apologies of you already know.
http://epgservices.sky.com/nevermiss/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2012, 15:05   #122
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
No problem , think I may give that Luck a watch , there seems some ok shows coming on Atlantic this year.

You can use the never miss service to be reminded when a show starts , apologies of you already know.
http://epgservices.sky.com/nevermiss/
Thanks. i actually only discovered that after I had posted. Very useful as alot of shows seem to have a season pt 1 and a season pt 2.

Luck is the one that stood out for me too. But there are a couple on there that I will definately give a try as my main two shows for the last couple of months have been Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire so something not crime/gang related will be a breath of fresh air.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 17:48   #123
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks. i actually only discovered that after I had posted. Very useful as alot of shows seem to have a season pt 1 and a season pt 2.

Luck is the one that stood out for me too. But there are a couple on there that I will definately give a try as my main two shows for the last couple of months have been Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire so something not crime/gang related will be a breath of fresh air.
Did you switch your BB and phone to Sky ?
Old 04-01-2012, 21:27   #124
LexDiamond
Inactive

LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Did you switch your BB and phone to Sky ?
Not yet. My VM contract finishes in April so I will order end of next month.
Old 05-01-2012, 19:35   #125
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

BSkyB launches new iPad app and hails 2012 as 'year of the tablet'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...redirect=false
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06   #126
LexDiamond
Inactive

Not really big news as FX did this a while ago but The Wire is beginning from S1 ep1 on Sky Atlantic tonight. Worth watching if anyone missed the earlier airings on other channels.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:00   #127
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Not really big news as FX did this a while ago but The Wire is beginning from S1 ep1 on Sky Atlantic tonight. Worth watching if anyone missed the earlier airings on other channels.
How bizarre I noticed this on the Sky+ app this morning it was under the Showcase section , it's one programme I haven't watched so I've set a series link on Atlantic HD.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:06   #128
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
How bizarre I noticed this on the Sky+ app this morning it was under the Showcase section , it's one programme I haven't watched so I've set a series link on Atlantic HD.
One of the best HBO shows ever IMO. I made the mistake of watching S1 on VM vod and became addicted. I'm watching it again
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35   #129
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Muppetman, do you happen to know what's happening with Sky's plans to let you access the Planner and control your box using the Sky+ app?

I noticed it mentioned as coming soon on the app store about a year ago now but haven't heard anything mentioned since
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26   #130
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Muppetman, do you happen to know what's happening with Sky's plans to let you access the Planner and control your box using the Sky+ app?

I noticed it mentioned as coming soon on the app store about a year ago now but haven't heard anything mentioned since
Before I start this is purely speculation , however it has been stated so from Sky staff who have good standing on the forums.

The Sky planner is supposed to be available on tablets/smartphones while on the move also available in any outlet using The Cloud under what people are calling Sky Anywhere available at more than 5,000 places , not sure of the timeframe for this. A new look to the EPG has also been rumoured with new features (advanced search) supposedly one. Give this a read

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1601801

This video suggests things to come , you can see Sky box on desk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZee9-PrNX0
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01   #131
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Before I start this is purely speculation , however it has been stated so from Sky staff who have good standing on the forums.

The Sky planner is supposed to be available on tablets/smartphones while on the move also available in any outlet using The Cloud under what people are calling Sky Anywhere available at more than 5,000 places , not sure of the timeframe for this. A new look to the EPG has also been rumoured with new features (advanced search) supposedly one. Give this a read

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1601801

This video suggests things to come , you can see Sky box on desk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZee9-PrNX0
Excellent post muppetman, thanks for that!

I've never even heard of those NDS guys before but going by that video, they look like they'll be shaping the future of TV UI's.

Do you think Sky may have scrapped their plans to expand on the Sky+ app then? I've just had a quick google to make sure I was remembering correctly and found the link below.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1453411
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11   #132
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Excellent post muppetman, thanks for that!

I've never even heard of those NDS guys before but going by that video, they look like they'll be shaping the future of TV UI's.

Do you think Sky may have scrapped their plans to expand on the Sky+ app then? I've just had a quick google to make sure I was remembering correctly and found the link below.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1453411
No these updates will arrive apps seem to be increasingly important to Sky http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...redirect=false it's just a matter of when , there appears to be quite a few advancements on the horizon. I remember someone on the forums stating only some of the Sky+HD boxes use NDS , I believe the old Thomson ones aren't compatible.
http://www.nds.com/
http://www.nds.com/Software_Solution..._STB_Software/
http://www.nds.com/Software_Solution...VR_Technology/

NDS have some nice looking innovations did you see NDS snowflake. http://nds-snowflake.com/
Pretty nice looking in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:51   #133
Doz007
cf.geek

The TiVo app for iOS is excellent & the ability to directly control your box, really adds a whole new element to the standard TV Guide apps. I'm looking forward to Sky's take on this as long as they don't leave it too long, which I don't think they will given their forward thinking approach when it comes to smart phones & tablets.

The snowflake UI you linked to is certainly different and graphically very attractive but i'm not sure how usable it would prove to be over prolonged periods. When you say that NDS doesn't work on the old Thompson boxes, are you saying all more recent Sky+HD boxes are capable of running that snowflake UI? It seems like it's going to be very resource intensive.
Old 08-01-2012, 13:13   #134
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The TiVo app for iOS is excellent & the ability to directly control your box, really adds a whole new element to the standard TV Guide apps. I'm looking forward to Sky's take on this as long as they don't leave it too long, which I don't think they will given their forward thinking approach when it comes to smart phones & tablets.

The snowflake UI you linked to is certainly different and graphically very attractive but i'm not sure how usable it would prove to be over prolonged periods. When you say that NDS doesn't work on the old Thompson boxes, are you saying all more recent Sky+HD boxes are capable of running that snowflake UI? It seems like it's going to be very resource intensive.
No I think Sky use some form of NDS media highway software see link in my previous post now but I believe this won't run on the old Thomson Sky+HD boxes which run Open TV middleware , snowflake probably is way off in my opinion. The two below are NDS work I believe so something similar could be possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtcPtATRUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmYCc0mpvtw
Old 08-01-2012, 14:04   #135
Doz007
cf.geek

Thanks again MM,

That DirectTV HD guide looks super slick to navigate, this kind of buttery smooth UI is missing from all the EPG's we have in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfLyS...eature=related

I really like the look of the German Sky guide from the little glimpse we get in that 30 video. Do you have any links to a more in depth look at the German Sky EPG in action? I'd love to see more to make a better judgement.

Edit: Found a better video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfLyS...eature=related