Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 14-01-2012, 12:26   #211
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Is the first series of Boardwalk Empire available on Anytime+ in HD?

Having never had Sky Atlantic before I'd like to catch up on all the great content I've missed over the past 12 months.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2012, 13:17   #212
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Right I'll try and explain this as easy as I can the 1TB Sky+HD box is actually 1.5TB with 1TB for personal recording and 400gb reserved for Anytime , the 1TB personal space is enough for 240hrs HD as Sky use Mpeg 4. You get Anytime content downloaded in the eary hours via the satellite not your BB that is only used for Anytime+ content.
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...b-drive-671448
When a show/series is downloaded via Sky Anytime + does it have a end date after which it will auto delete or does it stay there for as long as you want it?
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:24   #213
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

That's a good question, I assume that the content will stay until the 400gb partition is full and then start auto deleting the oldest content first?
Old 14-01-2012, 13:33   #214
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
When a show/series is downloaded via Sky Anytime + does it have a end date after which it will auto delete or does it stay there for as long as you want it?
I'm not 100% on that I will investigate and let you know

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
That's a good question, I assume that the content will stay until the 400gb partition is full and then start auto deleting the oldest content first?
The 400gb partition is for Anytime , your Anytime+ downloads go into your planner.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:45   #215
Doz007
cf.geek

I understand that, but I'm assuming that Sky don't put 400gb worth of content on Anytime Showcase each week? Do they just keep adding content to the showcase menu every week until they run out of space or is the entire libary replaced weekly?

I hope this makes sense. If I've misunderstood I apologise.
Old 14-01-2012, 14:10   #216
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I understand that, but I'm assuming that Sky don't put 400gb worth of content on Anytime Showcase each week? Do they just keep adding content to the showcase menu every week until they run out of space or is the entire libary replaced weekly?

I hope this makes sense. If I've misunderstood I apologise.
Content is usually on for between 4-7 days but new content is added on a daily basis.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Lex im just downloading In Treatment which has an expiration date of Monday 16th Jan so I'll report back if it's still available to watch on my planner after this date.
Old 14-01-2012, 14:10   #217
Doz007
cf.geek

Quote:
Content is usually on for between 4-7 days but new content is added on a daily basis.
Gotcha!

So the million dollar question is how much of this Anytime+ content is HD?
Old 14-01-2012, 14:20   #218
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Gotcha!

So the million dollar question is how much of this Anytime+ content is HD?
Quite a lot of the movies are but the rest is sparse let me try and explain how it works.

Hawaii Five O is shown Sunday nights it's usually available in HD on Sky Anytime the day after however after it expires in say 4-7 days and is only available on Anytime+ it's usually SD only with the exception of a few shows. When the show is on Anytime+ they usually keep around 4 episodes available to catchup , when the 5th is added you will lose access to episode 1 and 2-5 will be available hope this makes sense I think it's down to right issues. There are shows on Anytime+ that are full boxsets but to me movies are where the service really shines.
Old 14-01-2012, 15:15   #219
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Lex im just downloading In Treatment which has an expiration date of Monday 16th Jan so I'll report back if it's still available to watch on my planner after this date.
Thanks
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 15:59   #220
Doz007
cf.geek

Thanks again MM.

By owning the 1TB box, will I gain access to more Anytime content in the showcase then, in comparison to the standard Sky+HD boxes?

It's a real shame that rights issues are preventing Sky having whole seasons of their flagship shows available on demand. It would be a great service for all the new customers who missed out on them first time around.
Old 14-01-2012, 16:37   #221
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks again MM.

By owning the 1TB box, will I gain access to more Anytime content in the showcase then, in comparison to the standard Sky+HD boxes?

It's a real shame that rights issues are preventing Sky having whole seasons of their flagship shows available on demand. It would be a great service for all the new customers who missed out on them first time around.
Rights issues aren't stopping them I think it's just immediately after broadcast I believe they can only keep them on for so long , Hawaii Five O complete season 1 is now on as is Modern Family Season 1 , and I suspect at some point others like Boardwalk Empire S1 and others will join. A friend of mine joined Sky recently and got the 1TB for 49.00 and free install as he quoted TIVO new customer prices after ringing sales.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Sky's decision regarding Current TV and changes to Glee on Sky

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/latest-news/
Old 15-01-2012, 10:45   #222
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Netflix entry into pay TV market to delay probe into BSKYB film deals.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...=feeds-newsxml
Old 15-01-2012, 10:48   #223
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

[QUOTE=muppetman11;35362431]Netflix entry into pay TV market to delay probe into BSKYB film deals.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...=feeds-newsxml

Thats not good news in my mind MM
Old 15-01-2012, 11:30   #224
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

i can see why they have done it to allow Netflix time to see if it could break skys dominence on the movie front.

But surely it does not change one of their preliminary findings which was.

The Commission provisionally ruled that the prices charged by BSkyB for carrying the service were too high, so firms such as Virgin Media could not make a profit on it.

Either sky are charging too much or they are not! in my mind the Netflix entry in the uk market does not alter that simple fact.
Old 15-01-2012, 11:41   #225
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post

Either sky are charging too much or they are not! in my mind the Netflix entry in the uk market does not alter that simple fact.
Exactly Richard.