Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SH3 drops local network when internet goes down, intended behaviour?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SH3 drops local network when internet goes down, intended behaviour?

Old 26-07-2019, 20:37   #1
Mad Ad
Inactive

Mad Ad is on a distinguished roadMad Ad is on a distinguished road
SH3 drops local network when internet goes down, intended behaviour?

I would imagine that, being a switch, router and modem in one package that if the internet goes down that my networked devices would continue to see/talk to each other through the switch however it appears whenever I lose internet connectivity my TV cannot see my NAS till SH3 is back online.

It happened once a while ago and I have been waiting for it to happen again, which it did a few nights ago. It was probably just maintenance as it was 00.30 but for the short time till it came back again my local network was again down.

Is this expected behaviour? I know passive switches are inexpensive but id rather not have the headache of additional equipment ill have to find power and cable space for if there is something I can do to the SH3 to cure this.

Thanks in advance.
Mad Ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2019, 23:34   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: SH3 drops local network when internet goes down, intended behaviour?

technically it shouldn't do and a normal proper router definitely doesn't as the wan interface and route is just one of the many connections the router maintains and if it goes down it shouldn't effect anything else. That being said, the shub isn't a proper router, I have heard of this happening before and it doesn't surprise me in the least.

It sounds like a fairly insignificant problem and one which you wouldn't want to spend money on but all the little problems and quibbles add up and if this is something which continues to bother you I would seriously consider putting the shub in modem mode and investing in a proper router. I have had one from day one for the last 19 years and thus have never succumbed to the myriad of shub issues. One thing to point out as well and this is important, if you do decide to spend some money make sure it is on a new router and not additional switch. You might think you are creating your own little loop independent of the shub if you buy your own switch but I have also heard of the shub taking out connected switches when they go down, which again, should never happen. Best thing you can do is relieve the shub of all routing responsibilities and then you don't have to worry about it breaking anything.

I am like you and have got 2 NAS', TV's around the house, sky boxes, printers, pc's, laptops etc etc and I want the peace of mind that everything can connect seamlessly and will work 24/7 without any dramas. I order to achieve that I have got Asus routers strategically placed around the house for wifi coverage but more importantly a cable running to a Linksys switch in every room. This results in all my static devices have a 1gbit connection running to my primary Asus router and I know that all my devices can talk to each other because I have kick ass switches and routers which I never had a problem with (and don't get me started on the benefits of non-VM DNS).

Last edited by General Maximus; 26-07-2019 at 23:44.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote