Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 06:17   #5971
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, no, you are not. You could maintain a dignified silence.

I don't know what 'misinformation' you are referring to. If you are saying that the decline in viewing traditional channels and the increase in numbers subscribing to VOD services is incorrect, please say so. And if you can support your statements with links proving that to be wrong, please do so.

As I see it, you just disagree with everything that shows the way this is all going without providing a shred of evidence to support your views.

We all get that you want things to stay the same. But you are completely incapable of recognising the evidence that shows otherwise.

Prove me wrong, if you can..

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

Maybe you should try it, to see how easy and convenient it is.
At no point have I ever suggested linear viewing is not declining. This is, once again, your classic straw man you put up where you argue against a point I didn’t actually make. The dispute is if it levels off before zero.

However, it’s a huge leap to get from where we are now to 100% of all viewing which is your flawed yet persistent message across multiple threads on this, and other, forums. Streamers are dealing with the low hanging fruit - existing pay-tv customers who are willing to pay slightly more and those that can’t afford/don’t see value in traditional subscriptions. Netflix are already between the rock and hard place of slowing growth and price rises.

The average viewer doesn’t feel as strongly as you do about delivery methods and this backed up by statistics released just the other day. People continue to watch linear regardless of how irrational you perceive it to be.

Last edited by jfman; 10-08-2019 at 06:23.
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2019, 18:40   #5972
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You should try it some time, I just watched a series called 'The Boys' on Amazon Prime in only 2 days, imagine having to wait 10 weeks to watch all that, also great not having to skip commercials.
Don't have access to Amazon prime (or any other stream for that matter) so unlikely to happen.

Might try it in December (using the free month offer) - assuming they don't want a card to pay for further subs which I have no intention of taking up.
Old 10-08-2019, 19:02   #5973
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Don't have access to Amazon prime (or any other stream for that matter) so unlikely to happen.

Might try it in December (using the free month offer) - assuming they don't want a card to pay for further subs which I have no intention of taking up.
Take up the free trials of streaming services then cancel, but it sounds like you have no intention of wanting to see how great advert free streaming is.
Old 10-08-2019, 19:21   #5974
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Take up the free trials of streaming services then cancel, but it sounds like you have no intention of wanting to see how great advert free streaming is.
He's got a V6. If he never wanted to watch an advert ever again he could.
Old 10-08-2019, 19:44   #5975
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Well, no, you are not. You could maintain a dignified silence.

I don't know what 'misinformation' you are referring to. If you are saying that the decline in viewing traditional channels and the increase in numbers subscribing to VOD services is incorrect, please say so. And if you can support your statements with links proving that to be wrong, please do so.

As I see it, you just disagree with everything that shows the way this is all going without providing a shred of evidence to support your views.

We all get that you want things to stay the same. But you are completely incapable of recognising the evidence that shows otherwise.

Prove me wrong, if you can..

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

Maybe you should try it, to see how easy and convenient it is.

Absolutely spot on, OB
Old 10-08-2019, 19:48   #5976
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Absolute nonsense.
Old 10-08-2019, 19:50   #5977
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Absolute nonsense.
You come across as a knowall, at least OB is supplying links from various sources which suggest he isn't too far off the mark as regards streaming, you haven't produced anything of note to suggest otherwise!
Old 10-08-2019, 20:05   #5978
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Absolutely spot on, OB
Thanks, Max.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:05   #5979
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You come across as a knowall, at least OB is supplying links from various sources which suggest he isn't too far off the mark as regards streaming, you haven't produced anything of note to suggest otherwise!
Various sources that are fundamentally opinion pieces. I linked only last week at how linear remains the most popular viewing type in the UK, despite the vast, vast majority of homes never having to view television in this way if they choose to not.

I'm not sure how you suggest I come across as a know-all. If Old Boy makes a claim he should be able to back it up, all too often it is the case that he cannot and instead links to opinion pieces from digital marketing companies.

Fundamentally people want to watch content and care little for the delivery model. It's a radical transition for the low cost streamers to take the step up - indeed as I've often pointed out Amazon made no meaningful bids in the first round of Premier League rights last time around.

Anyone being objective, rather than having a blinkered fundamentalist view in favour of one delivery model, would see that viewers enjoy the vast range of options available now.

If I modelled iPhone sales in their first five years and that rate of growth was sustainable every single person on the planet would have bought an iPhone in the year 2017. They didn't. Growth reached a plateau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY
Until the bitter end, people like you probably will stick with the scheduled channels, but you ignore the fact that this will not be worthwhile for the broadcasters when the audience levels make it all unviable.
Another straw man. I subscribe to two streaming services and watch minimal television as scheduled. But hey, it's easier to misrepresent my argument and personalise it than realise you're talking about the economic behaviour of 27 million homes in this country and hundreds of millions across the globe.

Quote:
It is only time that will prove me right on this, which I am sure it will (and it is also the conclusion of the media industry) so maybe I should just let you prattle on and the rest of us will draw oir own conclusions.
It's not the conclusion of the 'industry' at all. You've got the BBC 'planning' to do one thing, whether that is realisable on the back of consumer behaviour is another.

Last edited by jfman; 10-08-2019 at 20:10.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:06   #5980
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
He's got a V6. If he never wanted to watch an advert ever again he could.
Oh come on you know what i meant.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:09   #5981
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Absolute nonsense.
Why, because I disagree with you and provide links to support my views?

You just disagree for the sake of it. I really wonder if it is worth responding to your posts, you just misrepresent everything your detractors say.

I don't mind if people disagree with my views, that is their right. But to simply respond that you know about economics so you must be right is unconvincing without supporting evidence and a good argument.

Until the bitter end, people like you probably will stick with the scheduled channels, but you ignore the fact that this will not be worthwhile for the broadcasters when the audience levels make it all unviable.

It is only time that will prove me right on this, which I am sure it will (and it is also the conclusion of the media industry) so maybe I should just let you prattle on and the rest of us will draw oir own conclusions.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 10-08-2019 at 20:13.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:11   #5982
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Fundamentally people want to watch content and care little for the delivery model. It's a radical transition for the low cost streamers to take the step up - indeed as I've often pointed out Amazon made no meaningful bids in the first round of Premier League rights last time around.

Who's to say that they wont in the future?
Old 10-08-2019, 20:13   #5983
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Various sources that are fundamentally opinion pieces. I linked only last week at how linear remains the most popular viewing type in the UK, despite the vast, vast majority of homes never having to view television in this way if they choose to not.

I'm not sure how you suggest I come across as a know-all. If Old Boy makes a claim he should be able to back it up, all too often it is the case that he cannot and instead links to opinion pieces from digital marketing companies.

Anyone being objective, rather than having a blinkered fundamentalist view in favour of one delivery model, would see that viewers enjoy the vast range of options available now.

If I modelled iPhone sales in their first five years and that rate of growth was sustainable every single person on the planet would have bought an iPhone in the year 2017. They didn't. Growth reached a plateau.
The twaddle you come out with! Of course I provide links, which is more than you do. You are trapped in a time warp and appear totally incapable of separating the present from the future.

Mind you, you're not the only one!

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:
Who's to say that they wont in the future?
Precisely. They have to start somewhere.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:13   #5984
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Besides, even the media companies themselves don't know how things will play out over the next few years, but at least it gives us something to talk about, as media has been pretty static until the rise of Netflix.

As I see things currently, with the (old) media companies, it's still business as usual apart from they're all trying to get bigger. They don't seem to understand how to "do" streaming yet.

Netflix has shown them how to "do" streaming, so my assumption was everyone else was going to copy them. I assumed wrong. All the old media cos are trying to replicate in the streaming world what they've always had, which is mulitple services, mulitple prices and a whole spaghetti western of third party licensing deals. Weren't we meant to be in a new age of doing things?

They shouldn't all be launching mulitple streamers each, but they are. They also should be keeping all their own new content on their own services, but it looks like in many cases, that won't be the case either. A good example is the Jack Ryan series. It's been great for Amazon, but its made by Viacom. It should be on Viacom's service.

CBS and Viacom will likely announce their re-merger on Monday (or soon afterwards) and then find someone else to join up with, so the original Hollywood Big 6 companies will probably be no more than four in the end, but they still don't seem to understand how Netflix has changed their industry or what they need to do to adapt to the new reality.

So, until they figure it out, I think we're quite entitled to debate the ins and outs of it too because no one can predict what will happen over the next few years, but we can all take take a good guess though.

Last edited by Horizon; 10-08-2019 at 21:25.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:17   #5985
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Oh come on you know what i meant.
No actually, I don't.

If streaming content doesn't appeal that's a problem for the streamer - not the viewer. Trying to apply arguments in favour, that are fundamentally incorrect, isn't helpful to the debate.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:
The twaddle you come out with! Of course I provide links, which is more than you do. You are trapped in a time warp and appear totally incapable of separating the present from the future.

Mind you, you're not the only one!

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Precisely. They have to start somewhere.
You have now resorted to baseless insults.

I don't know how in any capitalist system challenging you to justify your arguments based on economics and consumer behaviour is flawed.
Closed Thread