Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 13-06-2021, 13:07   #1276
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't believe that the UK is wanting to pull out of the Protocol, we are just asking for some common sense on its interpretation.

If this is the kind of inflexibility we can expect from the EU, maybe we should think seriously whether this deal with the EU is actually worth it. Many of us saw this coming but we hoped that the EU would demonstrate some intelligence in dealing with the practical issues arising from the new arrangements.
So the U.K. agreed to a legally binding treaty but now we want them to make concessions to us because we’re finding it a bit difficult?

I don’t think it’s the EU that needs to demonstrate its intelligence
Old 13-06-2021, 13:52   #1277
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
So the U.K. agreed to a legally binding treaty but now we want them to make concessions to us because we’re finding it a bit difficult?

I think BoJo only wants to implement the protocol he signed in a limited and specific way.

Brexit negotiations will never end. Boris Johnson needs to establish trust with the EU. Hic current boud-mouthing and the threats perpetuated by him and David Frost are proving ineffective. They might work inside the priviliged walls of Eton or the House of Commons but not outside it.

Building strong relationships and trust is key. Unfortunately for BoJo, the G7 summit which could have been a great British triumph and advert for the country has shone a spotlight upon its weaknesses. A change is needed in the UK's approach.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 14:43   #1278
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:

I rather think it's the EU that are finding it difficult, it does sound 'off' when a trade bloc are trying to prevent a UK product from being sold in the UK.

Throw as much legal jargon as you like at it, but the bottom line is the UK should be able to sell it's own products within it's borders
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 14:53   #1279
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I wish the Remainers would agree with Carth - namely that there should be no impediment to selling UK goods within the UK under our agreement with the EU.

Even if it is careless that Johnson et al thought the EU would implement the agreement in the way I've just mentioned, the Remainers should wish for this rather than go on about following the agreement to the letter while the EU tries to break up the Union.

The Remainers won't admit that this is an unsaid goal of the EU - to punish the UK as best they can. "Oh", I hear the Remainers say, "where is the link to a stated EU goal to that effect?". The realms of the bleedin' obvious need no published statement.

If you need evidence, read today's papers and watch the BBC (yes BBC), reporting that Macron does not consider NI to be part of the UK. What do the Remainers say about that? Paywall link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...aign=DM1441753

Quote:
Boris Johnson was left infuriated on Saturday when Emmanuel Macron suggested in head-to-head G7 summit talks that Northern Ireland was not part of the UK.

The Prime Minister attempted to explain his frustration with the Northern Ireland Protocol by asking Mr Macron what he would do if sausages from Toulouse could not be moved to Paris, according to a UK government source.

The French president was said to have retorted by arguing that the comparison did not work because Paris and Toulouse were both part of the same country, incorrectly suggesting Northern Ireland is not within the UK.

Mr Johnson expressed bemusement at the remark to aides straight after the meeting and later hinted at the comment when telling Sky News that some leaders needed to get it “into their heads” that the UK was a “single country”.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 15:14   #1280
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I wish the Remainers would agree with Carth..
You mean with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I'm all for owning it, it's easy . . just don't send any chilled meat to anyone in the EU . . and if that includes Northern Ireland (who are NOT in the EU) then I'm fine with that.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Quote:

Even if it is careless that Johnson et al thought the EU would implement the agreement in the way I've just mentioned, the Remainers should wish for this rather than go on about following the agreement to the letter while the EU tries to break up the Union.
Obviously, no one is happy about the situation. I think that you're now realising what others have known for some time - that your Party's Prime Minister signed an imperfect deal. Dreaming about fantasy solutions or slagging off the other side won't solve it. Trust and talk will.

Quote:

The Remainers won't admit that this is an unsaid goal of the EU - to punish the UK as best they can. "Oh", I hear the Remainers say, "where is the link to a stated EU goal to that effect?". The realms of the bleedin' obvious need no published statement.
There's no evidence of punishing the UK, that's just playing the victim mode and not an approach a country like the UK historically takes. It's disappointing you want to pull the UK down to such a level.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 15:31   #1281
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I rather think it's the EU that are finding it difficult, it does sound 'off' when a trade bloc are trying to prevent a UK product from being sold in the UK.

Throw as much legal jargon as you like at it, but the bottom line is the UK should be able to sell it's own products within it's borders

They can, but it changes when one of those countries in effect in the EU for trade

You know, the changes we agreed to???
Old 13-06-2021, 15:47   #1282
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You mean with this?

Originally Posted by Carth
I'm all for owning it, it's easy . . just don't send any chilled meat to anyone in the EU . . and if that includes Northern Ireland (who are NOT in the EU) then I'm fine with that.
Heck yeah, see how long it takes for N.I. to kick off . . . especially when they suddenly can't 'export' to us (as part of the solution)
Old 13-06-2021, 15:54   #1283
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
As I and others said at the time, this would have given us more chance to strike a better deal.
The EU was not in negotiating mode from the start. They expected the UK to capitulate to all the EU demands. This was highlighted many, many times by politicians of all flavours from within the EU. Remember that the EU is a Legal Body not a Federal Union as yet. Lawyers in the background run it most of the time, supported by translators who have to be meticulous at all times.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 16:02   #1284
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The EU was not in negotiating mode from the start. They expected the UK to capitulate to all the EU demands. This was highlighted many, many times by politicians of all flavours from within the EU. Remember that the EU is a Legal Body not a Federal Union as yet. Lawyers in the background run it most of the time, supported by translators who have to be meticulous at all times.

Indeed if only we as a country could of somehow been aware of such behaviour at the time. If only we could of had some insider knowledge as to how the EU can operate.

So is it ignorance or stupidity the U.K. government is culpable of ?
Old 13-06-2021, 17:08   #1285
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Indeed if only we as a country could of somehow been aware of such behaviour at the time. If only we could of had some insider knowledge as to how the EU can operate.

So is it ignorance or stupidity the U.K. government is culpable of ?
Many of us were aware of their behaviour and voted accordingly, the ignorance and/or stupidity are possibly confined to those who weren't . . and didn't
Old 13-06-2021, 17:09   #1286
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

No, that’s not what I’m saying. As with everything, the devil is in the detail and we have been attempting to get the EU to understand the practical problems that have been thrown up by the way in which the EU is interpreting the Protocol. We have put forward many ideas, including trusted trader schemes, which have been shown to work effectively, but the EU is having none of it.

They are being awkward, plain and simple.
Old 13-06-2021, 17:21   #1287
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, that’s not what I’m saying. As with everything, the devil is in the detail and we have been attempting to get the EU to understand the practical problems that have been thrown up by the way in which the EU is interpreting the Protocol. We have put forward many ideas, including trusted trader schemes, which have been shown to work effectively, but the EU is having none of it.

They are being awkward, plain and simple.
So we agreed to something we didn’t fully understand? Else surely the government would have known that this would occur?

The EU are playing to the letter of the law, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 13-06-2021, 17:37   #1288
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So we agreed to something we didn’t fully understand? Else surely the government would have known that this would occur?

And you are defending that - Jeez. They should be more reasonable given the difficulties the "letter" is causing in NI.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 18:11   #1289
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

No, I didn’t say that. I said that the problem was with the way the EU was interpreting the Protocol, not the Protocol itself.

Trust you to keep batting for the other side. Macron has said: “Nothing is negotiable. Everything is applicable.”

In other words, his mind is made up and if the Northern Irish people (whom he does not regard as U.K. citizens!) suffer food shortages as a result of the EU interpretation of the Protocol, he doesn’t give two hoots.
Old 13-06-2021, 18:22   #1290
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

The problem is it is not the letter of the law.

Quote:
It is common for trade agreements to contain provisions enabling either party to take unilateral action if the implementation of the agreement gives rise to negative consequences. In the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland, these measures are set out under Article 16.

Such ‘safeguards’ as those in the Protocol are not commonly used, but are included as a protective measure to give both parties a formal recourse of action should the agreement entail any unintended outcomes that present significant challenges in either place.

Article 16 provides both the UK and the EU with a unilateral power to take action should the application of the Protocol give rise to ‘serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties that are liable to persist, or to diversion of trade.’

Both parties are restricted in the action they can take to address any such issues. It must be limited to the scope of where the problems exist (i.e. a response cannot be taken that will alter the application of the Protocol in any unrelated respect) and there is a process in place which means action cannot happen on a whim or go unchecked.

Article 16 does not provide any detail on what constitutes a ‘serious’ impact or what is meant by ‘diversion of trade’. What causes a serious impact in one place might not in another, so this ambiguity allows for interpretation at a later point.
Link

There cannot be "letter of the law" where ambiguity exists.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote