Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 17:40   #6046
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What exactly has changed? My goalposts are in exactly the same position as they have always been.
No they are not, as you well know. Not for the first time, I feel compelled to remind you what you said the first time you brought this subject up, early in 2015:

Quote:
Well, I would say that the situation I have described is better because you don't have to be a slave to the decisions of the programme schedulers - you can see the programme whenever you want to - and you don't have to put up with all those advertisements.

I appreciate that there are things that need to be sorted out first, such as giving everyone access to broadband at an appropriate speed, but I do think that this is about 10 years + away. I'm sure it will come, though.
Post 63, in this thread: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33699901

“10+ years” on from 2015 (ie sometime after 2025) is a freaking great big difference to around 2035, as you’ve been postulating more recently.

I know you’ll never admit it but the arguments presented here, and the realities in the TV marketplace, have forced you to shift your goalposts significantly. Which is no shame, by the way, it’s a perfectly reasonable outcome of any discussion.
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2019, 17:59   #6047
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

So, when do you think significant changes will arrive, Chris?
Old 11-08-2019, 20:23   #6048
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No they are not, as you well know. Not for the first time, I feel compelled to remind you what you said the first time you brought this subject up, early in 2015:

Post 63, in this thread: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33699901

“10+ years” on from 2015 (ie sometime after 2025) is a freaking great big difference to around 2035, as you’ve been postulating more recently.

I know you’ll never admit it but the arguments presented here, and the realities in the TV marketplace, have forced you to shift your goalposts significantly. Which is no shame, by the way, it’s a perfectly reasonable outcome of any discussion.
Ah, is that the source of the confusion? What I was referring to was access to broadband at an appropriate speed. I did say that very clearly in the quote.

I have always said that I believe that scheduled channels will be no more by 2035. The evidence of that is there on my past posts.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And the outcome won't fit your very narrow narrative as it has quite clearly failed to do in these last 10 years but there is nothing like moving the goalposts when it suits your convenient agenda.
Ok, then, Den, indulge me. What exactly did I say would happen in those 10 years that has not happened?

Sky Atlantic is the only forecast that didn't come about that I can think of, old chap.
Old 11-08-2019, 20:35   #6049
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Ok, then, Den, indulge me. What exactly did I say would happen in those 10 years that has not happened?

Sky Atlantic is the only forecast that didn't come about that I can think of, old chap.
The Premier League TV rights you predicted several times would be bought by one of the big streaming companies , Well that has certainly not happened as anybody can see.

You also predicted the demise of Linear TV but alas that prediction seems to be akin to changing the goalposts when it suits your convenient narrow agenda.

Then you yourself have predicted that you would abandon being a Pay TV customer to switching totally to subscribing to streaming subscriptions but alas that seems to have tanked lately as its obvious that someone else is wearing the trousers in your household.
Old 11-08-2019, 20:44   #6050
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Indeed, as far as I can tell there’s never been more linear channels on Virgin than there are today. Now if we follow that obvious direction of travel
Old 11-08-2019, 21:00   #6051
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, as far as I can tell there’s never been more linear channels on Virgin than there are today. Now if we follow that obvious direction of travel

Really? Do you know what these channels are? Thx.
Old 11-08-2019, 21:03   #6052
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I’m just going by the headline figures on their website and the total channels referred to on the box.

I don’t watch much TV - I couldn’t name every series on Netflix or Amazon Prime either.
Old 11-08-2019, 21:03   #6053
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
There is a nice list for you to look at here MM.

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-channel-guide
Old 11-08-2019, 21:06   #6054
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
There is a nice list for you to look at here MM.

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-channel-guide
My eyes are bleeding at the diverse range of content on there.
Old 11-08-2019, 21:09   #6055
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

To be fair most of it is bollocks and passed over when channel flicking.
Old 11-08-2019, 21:12   #6056
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The Premier League TV rights you predicted several times would be bought by one of the big streaming companies , Well that has certainly not happened as anybody can see.

You also predicted the demise of Linear TV but alas that prediction seems to be akin to changing the goalposts when it suits your convenient narrow agenda.

Then you yourself have predicted that you would abandon being a Pay TV customer to switching totally to subscribing to streaming subscriptions but alas that seems to have tanked lately as its obvious that someone else is wearing the trousers in your household.
Hate to play devils advocate Den but technically Amazon have got some EPL rights now even though it isnt much...
Old 11-08-2019, 21:13   #6057
jfman
Architect of Ideas

But that’s the thing, it’s financially viable to transmit hundreds of channels of all kinds of bollocks 24/7. Probably most of it has a tiny number of viewers. That’ll continue to be the case and why linear services longer than many expect.
Old 11-08-2019, 21:15   #6058
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
To be fair most of it is bollocks and passed over when channel flicking.
I imagine a lot of the content shown by streamers is either bollocks or repeats
Old 11-08-2019, 21:18   #6059
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Hate to play devils advocate Den but technically Amazon have got some EPL rights now even though it isnt much...
Thats the ones they snapped up for next to nothing as no one else wanted that package.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
This is a fair bit of crap on all of them as people subscribe generally on the basis that there are a few very good series worth paying for.
Old 11-08-2019, 21:20   #6060
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
It’s just telly by a different delivery method.

A small amount of excellent stuff, a lot of old stuff.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

Quote:
This is a fair bit of crap on all of them as people subscribe generally on the basis that there are a few very good series worth paying for.
As with all pay-tv.
Closed Thread