Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | M1000 is available. How to order?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

M1000 is available. How to order?

Old 19-01-2020, 22:57   #46
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
But it's still only a single 2.5G LAN port. It's of little use unless you have multiple 1Gb connections simultaneously using a 2.5Gb capable device eg a NAS.

My use of "they" was merely to avoid the presumption of "he" or "she".
What's wrong with "he/she"/ The politically correct and grammatically incorrect use of "they" for a singular context is an awful abomination (along with all forms of PC).

Your technical point, of course, stands true. I have a NAS with a 10Gb port, though but alas no such port on the PC that uses it. The 2.5 Gbps port can also be used as a WAN port.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2020, 23:19   #47
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What's wrong with "he/she"/ The politically correct and grammatically incorrect use of "they" for a singular context is an awful abomination (along with all forms of PC).

Your technical point, of course, stands true. I have a NAS with a 10Gb port, though but alas no such port on the PC that uses it. The 2.5 Gbps port can also be used as a WAN port.
That assumes that I know whether you are a she or he in the first place.

If there isn't a difference between a WAN and a LAN connection, why the difference in labelling, and why the difference in settings for each type? The firmware might treat them differently.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 07:58   #48
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
That assumes that I know whether you are a she or he in the first place.

If there isn't a difference between a WAN and a LAN connection, why the difference in labelling, and why the difference in settings for each type? The firmware might treat them differently.
Of course here's an even easier way. Use his name.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:41   #49
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Use his name.
I think you mean "their name"
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 17:31   #50
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I think you mean "their name"
... in which case it should be “their names”.

Old 20-01-2020, 17:44   #51
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
... in which case it should be “their names”.
Only if addressing more than one person.
Old 20-01-2020, 19:02   #52
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Only if addressing more than one person.
"They" and "their" implies the plural according to rules of grammar.

Anyway, M1000 certainly address more than one person. It is very popular.

Old 20-01-2020, 20:21   #53
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

"They" doesn’t - it has been used as a singular personal pronoun (as well as plural) for centuries, if the gender of the person is not identified in the sentence or phrase.

"There’s someone at the door!"
"Answer it, see what they want
."

Or, if someone cut you off when you were driving, and you didn’t see their face, it’s unlikely you’d slam your hand on the wheel and exclaim, “Did you see that? He or she cut me off!

Even Shakespeare used "their’ as a singular pronoun.

Quote:
There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
As I were their well-acquainted friend.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 21:11   #54
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Kush is pressing me and I don’t want to dodge! His underlying question is well founded. My instinct is that in the lifetime of the AX11000 router at my house, and with the possibility of full fibre roll-out and associated speed competition, then2.5Gig port will eventually come into useful play. I’ve had the AC68U for nearly 4 years and look what’s happened to speeds in that elapsed period. Naturally I would have to upgrade my PC equipment, but that’s all part of the fun.
Ah, so simply future proofing then! I can get behind that.

Though I'd sooner hold onto my money until routers with all 2.5G ports (not just the WAN) become more common. Ideally 5G or 10G.

My PC has a 10G port on it, but there isn't even a reasonably priced consumer switch that I would buy to take advantage of it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 21:33   #55
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Ah, so simply future proofing then! I can get behind that.

Though I'd sooner hold onto my money until routers with all 2.5G ports (not just the WAN) become more common. Ideally 5G or 10G.

My PC has a 10G port on it, but there isn't even a reasonably priced consumer switch that I would buy to take advantage of it.
Good point - even on the 1Gb aspect. For example, the Netgear GS108 Gigabit won't deliver 1 Gbps at the port - so the PC connects directly to the ASUS RT AC68U that I'm keeping for now.

Old 23-01-2020, 20:08   #56
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

MikroTik do some 10g switches that are reasonably priced for the tech, I use a couple of them as the backbone of my network.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 12:23   #57
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyade View Post
MikroTik do some 10g switches that are reasonably priced for the tech, I use a couple of them as the backbone of my network.
Could you to link to an example?
Old 24-01-2020, 12:43   #58
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Could you to link to an example?
https://linitx.com/category/mikrotik...eswitches/1156
Old 24-01-2020, 14:50   #59
Kushan

Those seem to be SFP+, which is fine but I'm talking 10G Ethernet. The transceivers cost about £50 a pop, which blows the price a bit.
Old 27-01-2020, 14:54   #60
Tazz
cf.member

Services: BT Infinity 2 80/20 Sipgate VOIP
Tazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about them

I have also came back to VM after leaving them 8 years ago and having max speed on a BT FTTC 80/20 connection. G.Fast was rolled out and because I was just outside of the range of it I was not allowed to order it.

I went for the jump and ordered the Gig1 service and it was installed in late November (Bracknell area fed from Reading hub)

The speeds and service are so much better than back in the days on their 60 meg service and huge congestion issues. I am running from the hub 4 at the moment. Interesting to see what you all do with regards to modem mode.

Good to see Sephiroth still here. He helped me so much back in the day. Masses of knowledge.

All my speed test are max on 940 down and 52 up. The only way to get the full speed on a test is using samknows.com/realspeed/ which runs directly from the router.
Tazz is offline   Reply With Quote