Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 500mb Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

500mb Question

Old 20-08-2019, 18:39   #241
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: 500mb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
The text you receive when you connect to another network when roaming as soon as you switch your phone on specifically states about the FUP. Did you not receive that text? I'm guessing you also didn't read your terms and conditions of the contract you signed which also states you have to abide by the roam like home policy.

I'm not here to cause grief or trouble or be argumentative. I do believe that the FUP calculator could be more clear for those on packages like the ultimate oomph. But this just smacks of well it's not my fault as I didn't read anything and just assumed I can do what I want. I hope you don't get charged, I'm just annoyed that after doing all the research, pointing you in the right direction that it all fell on deaf ears simply because you didn't believe what I was saying, even when providing links. Just to add, there is no special sim for the ultimate oomph bundle, it's just the unlimited sim they sell for £32.

I wish you the best as you might be in for a long ride.
'New' and definitive information re Oomph Unlimited SIM card:

But first-

I actually did read the legal stuff for Oomph (previously boosted) whilst in Greece and at home. It doesn't tell you in the section on Virgin Mobile or anywhere else what price to put in the calculator and doesn't link you to the calculator anyway.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...conditions.pdf

There is a reason for this.

I just rang the Oomph Team (Sheffield based) and spoke to an op named Simon. The Oomph Team are fully trained up on all aspects of Virgin Media's service and are able to answer 99.9% of your problems and troubleshoot similarly. This is the definitive answer.

The Oomph unlimited SIM is truly unlimited at home and in the EU. There will be no charges for my usage and no charges if I went and did exactly the same tomorrow. I asked Simon to check this with his peers and his manager. He did so and also checked with the manager for the whole unit. This is now a 100% definitive answer. The Oomph SIM is a truly unlimited at home and in the EU. It is unique in that respect. He is now going to approach all the other departments I spoke and texted with, to tell them this. Their information is not up-to-date. Simon apologised for all the confusion.

I did explain that some members of forums had told me in no uncertain terms and 'written in black and white' that I had to pay formy data usage according to the fair use policy. He tells me that they are wrong. FUP doesn't apply to this SIM card.

I also asked him about the status of regular SIMs with a limit on. For them he explained that in the EU they can use 80% of the allowance they get at home, so a 10GB allowance would give you 8GB to use in the EU.

Just a thought. Perhaps folk with standalone £32 unlimited SIMs should call Virgin Mobile and ask about FUP for their own EU roaming. They might get a pleasant surprise. What is 80% of unlimited?

For example: A 50GB limited SIM costs £25. 80% of 50GB is 40GB available to use roaming in the EU. It would seem unfair to me that someone who pays £32 for an unlimited SIM can only use 13.75GB per month.

Anyway. Thanks for all your input.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2019, 19:09   #242
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post

But first-

I actually did read the legal stuff for Oomph (previously boosted) whilst in Greece and at home. It doesn't tell you in the section on Virgin Mobile or anywhere else what price to put in the calculator and doesn't link you to the calculator anyway.

I just rang the Oomph Team (Sheffield based) and spoke to an op named Simon. The Oomph Team are fully trained up on all aspects of Virgin Media's service and are able to answer 99.9% of your problems and troubleshoot similarly. This is the definitive answer.

The Oomph unlimited SIM is truly unlimited at home and in the EU. There will be no charges for my usage and no charges if I went and did exactly the same tomorrow. I asked Simon to check this with his peers and his manager. He did so and also checked with the manager for the whole unit. This is now a 100% definitive answer. The Oomph SIM is a truly unlimited at home and in the EU. It is unique in that respect. He is now going to approach all the other departments I spoke and texted with, to tell them this. Their information is not up-to-date. Simon apologised for all the confusion.

I did explain that some members of forums had told me in no uncertain terms and 'written in black and white' that I had to pay formy data usage according to the fair use policy. He tells me that they are wrong. FUP doesn't apply to this SIM card.

I also asked him about the status of regular SIMs with a limit on. For them he explained that in the EU they can use 80% of the allowance they get at home, so a 10GB allowance would give you 8GB to use in the EU.

Just a thought. Perhaps folk with standalone £32 unlimited SIMs should call Virgin Mobile and ask about FUP for their own EU roaming. They might get a pleasant surprise. What is 80% of unlimited?

For example: A 50GB limited SIM costs £25. 80% of 50GB is 40GB available to use roaming in the EU. It would seem unfair to me that someone who pays £32 for an unlimited SIM can only use 13.75GB per month.

Anyway. Thanks for all your input.
No it doesn't tell you what to put into the calculator which means you simply just ignored the FUP and did what you wanted anyway even though you knew there was some kind of FUP in place. That's listed in the terms for the oomph bundle. Did you receive the welcome text that stated about the FUP when switching your phone on in Greece?

He has already gave you incorrect information regarding the sims. Using the calculator, £25 for 50GB gives you a limit of 10.74GB, not 40GB like you are stating.

I hate to question someone who is supposed to have superior knowledge on the products they sell, but I'm still not convinced. Everything in black and white points to a FUP on roam like home be it unlimited or not. I also want to know why you think your unlimited sim is better than the £32 unlimited sim. They are both unlimited sims.

Have you got all of this in writing? I'd be asking for documentation before trying this again.

Last edited by Mythica; 20-08-2019 at 19:41.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 19:25   #243
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

But first-

The Roam Like Home FUP does apply to all Oomph SIMs - from the link above:

Quote:
From E.11
If you are roaming in the EU, you also need to comply with our roam like home policy. The costs for outside of allowance for EU use and additional services that allow roaming outside of the EU are set out in our tariff table or are available from our team
Quote:
From the glossary:
roam like home
the use of your inclusive minutes, texts and data allowance in your airtime plan while roaming in the EU. Fair Use Policy applies https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff.
Quote:
Unfortunately he is incorrect there. I'll also pick this up with my colleagues tomorrow and find out why he's given incorrect information.

Quote:
Again unfortunately that's wrong. The FUP calculation is here - it's never been a straight 80% of your UK allowance:
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...roam-like-home
Quote:
The Fair Usage Policy data allowance is calculated by taking your monthly airtime cost (excluding VAT and any Freestyle loan amount), multiplying by 2 and then dividing by the current EU wholesale cap. The current data wholesale cap is included in our tariff tables.
I appreciate this is difficult for the Oomph SIMs currently as there is nothing to direct what to put into the calculator - but as I said above I did expect this to have bee updated online now. All agents should have a list of the Roam Like Home FUP data figures for the SIMs - I do not know why Simon didn't have this.

Last edited by BenMcr; 20-08-2019 at 19:36.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 20:37   #244
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No it doesn't tell you what to put into the calculator which means you simply just ignored the FUP and did what you wanted anyway even though you knew there was some kind of FUP in place. That's listed in the terms for the oomph bundle. Did you receive the welcome text that stated about the FUP when switching your phone on in Greece?

He has already gave you incorrect information regarding the sims. Using the calculator, £25 for 50GB gies you a limit of 10.74GB, not 40GB like you are stating.

I hate to question someone who is supposed to have superior knowledge on the products they sell, but I'm still not convinced. Everything in black and white points to a FUP on roam like home be it unlimited or not. I also want to know why you think your unlimited sim is better than the £32 unlimited sim. They are both unlimited sums.

Have you got all of this in writing? I'd be asking for documentation before trying this again.
You are finding this hard to accept aren't you?

When I used all that data in Greece I went with what I already understood from the sales team when I was sold the Oomph package. They told me the SIM is truly unlimited in the UK and EU. I therefore had no doubts, so didn't go blindly in, as you put it. (I'm trying not to take personal offence here.) Indeed I recommended the SIM to a number of folk I met over there. Doubts were sown after the adamant and cautionary responses to my celebratory post of a couple of days ago. It's a shame really. I have spent hours waiting for or talking to confused VM staff when I could have just carried on enjoying my good fortune. I felt I had to investigate further just in case I had misinformed fellow holiday makers. Luckily I hadn't.

I am sorry you still doubt Oomph department experts and managers. I can't help you out of your fixation on what you can see in black and white any further. I did ask for a definitive paragraph, but that is in the training manuals, something VM staff can't share. Hopefully, shortcomings in VM publicly available pages will be amended soon. Are we being too optimistic expecting VM to have updated relevant pages to a service that only came out in May? If I ran VM I would have had the information pages ready to go on Day One. Meanwhile, I am just happy that those who really should know, the Oomph Team, have confirmed what I thought I knew all along.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The Roam Like Home FUP does apply to all Oomph SIMs - from the link above:

Unfortunately he is incorrect there. I'll also pick this up with my colleagues tomorrow and find out why he's given incorrect information.

Again unfortunately that's wrong. The FUP calculation is here - it's never been a straight 80% of your UK allowance:
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...roam-like-home

I appreciate this is difficult for the Oomph SIMs currently as there is nothing to direct what to put into the calculator - but as I said above I did expect this to have bee updated online now. All agents should have a list of the Roam Like Home FUP data figures for the SIMs - I do not know why Simon didn't have this.
All I can say to your carefully researched response is that the OP was already 100% sure of his facts, because he has been telling new Oomph customers this ever since the product came out in May. At my request he spoke to his managers relating my doubts to them. Their answer is 100% certainty, even to the extent that they are now going to do the rounds of other departments to make sure they are up-to-date.

Meanwhile, I am sitting here looking at a long list of SIM usage accumulated since 1st August up to the end of my billing cycle on 12th August. and each item with £0.00 next to them. It all fits the facts I have been given by the people who should know, the very people who sold me the package in the first place. The advice I am giving myself and others is to wait until all the literature has been updated and to curse VM for its tardiness.
Old 20-08-2019, 20:42   #245
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
You are finding this hard to accept aren't you?

When I used all that data in Greece I went with what I already understood from the sales team when I was sold the Oomph package. They told me the SIM is truly unlimited in the UK and EU. I therefore had no doubts, so didn't go blindly in, as you put it. (I'm trying not to take personal offence here.) Indeed I recommended the SIM to a number of folk I met over there. Doubts were sown after the adamant and cautionary responses to my celebratory post of a couple of days ago. It's a shame really. I have spent hours waiting for or talking to confused VM staff when I could have just carried on enjoying my good fortune. I felt I had to investigate further just in case I had misinformed fellow holiday makers. Luckily I hadn't.

I am sorry you still doubt Oomph department experts and managers. I can't help you out of your fixation on what you can see in black and white any further. I did ask for a definitive paragraph, but that is in the training manuals, something VM staff can't share. Hopefully, shortcomings in VM publicly available pages will be amended soon. Are we being too optimistic expecting VM to have updated relevant pages to a service that only came out in May? If I ran VM I would have had the information pages ready to go on Day One. Meanwhile, I am just happy that those who really should know, the Oomph Team, have confirmed what I thought I knew all along.
Don't take offence, do as you please with what you believe is correct, I'm just trying to help you and others reading this. While you have nothing in writing, the terms and conditions of the oomph bundle you are on, you know, the very legal bit? They state a FUP applies. You've spoke to numerous different Virgin staff who are supposed to be trained yet have give you different answers. The last person as even misinformed you of the roam like home on the 'normal' sims.

I get you, I really do. You have some random person who doesn't work for Virgin Media telling you different to those that work there. But take a step back and look at the facts. I'm more than willing to hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong, but until I see documentation stating otherwise, then FUP applies to roam like home on all sims including those that are unlimited, it's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:28   #246
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Don't take offence, do as you please with what you believe is correct, I'm just trying to help you and others reading this. While you have nothing in writing, the terms and conditions of the oomph bundle you are on, you know, the very legal bit? They state a FUP applies. You've spoke to numerous different Virgin staff who are supposed to be trained yet have give you different answers. The last person as even misinformed you of the roam like home on the 'normal' sims.

I get you, I really do. You have some random person who doesn't work for Virgin Media telling you different to those that work there. But take a step back and look at the facts. I'm more than willing to hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong, but until I see documentation stating otherwise, then FUP applies to roam like home on all sims including those that are unlimited, it's the only thing that makes sense.

I am finished here. Just consider please that the 'in black and white' facts you are using are quite possibly in need of updating.
Old 20-08-2019, 21:37   #247
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I am finished here. Just consider please that the 'in black and white' facts you are using are quite possibly in need of updating.
I'd agree if we were talking about a product that was years old but we aren't.
Old 20-08-2019, 22:00   #248
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'd agree if we were talking about a product that was years old but we aren't.
Brand new. The Oomph totally unlimited SIM became available about the same time as the Ultimate Oomph 500Mb package.I bought in on 13th May 2019. I was one of the first existing customers to get it for £99 a month.
Old 20-08-2019, 22:05   #249
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Brand new. The Oomph totally unlimited SIM became available about the same time as the Ultimate Oomph 500Mb package.I bought in on 13th May 2019. I was one of the first existing customers to get it for £99 a month.
That's my point, the terms won't need updating if it's a new product. I'm on the same package.

Virgin Media staff have replied to your post on the VM community forums.

I urge anyone reading this that roam like home is not unlimited unless you have written documentation stating otherwise.

Last edited by Mythica; 20-08-2019 at 22:09.
Old 21-08-2019, 05:47   #250
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That's my point, the terms won't need updating if it's a new product. I'm on the same package.

Virgin Media staff have replied to your post on the VM community forums.

I urge anyone reading this that roam like home is not unlimited unless you have written documentation stating otherwise.

I suggest they speak to Oomph staff, the people who sell you the deal. They will tell you it is unlimited even in the EU. Enough now.
Old 21-08-2019, 21:30   #251
Grimpy
cf.addict

Grimpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any rollout schedule?
Grimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 20:45   #252
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

afaik it should be available in all areas. Have you tried giving them a ring? If it isn't available yet they should be able to give you a due date. They have just started trials on 1gbit which they'll probably start rolling out end of this year or beginning of next year so you should definitely be able to get 500mbits now.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 21:24   #253
Mythica
cf.geek

In my area on the postcode checker on the VM website, 500Mb was available and I'm on the ultimate oomph bundle with 500Mb but now when you check the postcode checker it says only 200Mb is available. Any reason for this?
Old 23-08-2019, 21:35   #254
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Great, so you cant even get 350 now. It has got to be a mistake and something which will no doubt take a lot of jumpinh through hoops trying to speak to the right person to get fixed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 01:50   #255
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
afaik it should be available in all areas. Have you tried giving them a ring? If it isn't available yet they should be able to give you a due date. They have just started trials on 1gbit which they'll probably start rolling out end of this year or beginning of next year so you should definitely be able to get 500mbits now.
Ignore Ignore what your postcode search says. Ask to be put through to the Oomph team. I tried to get 500Mb twice, always ending up with an off-shore op. Once I got through to the Oomph team they sorted me out quickly.